WASP and its strange note skip

Come across a bug in our software? Please report it here, and provide as many details as possible: Product, version number, soundcard, OS version etc.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

WASP and its strange note skip

Postby ThehakkeMadman » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:16 am

I was digging in the forum but didn´t find anything about this.

It happens in pattern and song mode, but I don´t understand why it happens or what could be the reason. Because it only appears sometimes when I push "play". If WASP skips a note, it´s always the same note and it is only skiped every 4th bar. Next time it could be a different note, but again, it´s skipped every 4th bar. When stopped and played again, it works (but sometimes it happens again, argh!).
Thanks god, the bug only appears in WASP. And it happens in a couple of songs, not in all...

I don´t get this, so what do you think?
"I need more details."
ThehakkeMadman
Regular

Re: WASP and its strange note skip

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:55 am

Is it just one specific instance of WASP or any one you insert at any time?
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby bones » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:52 am

I think you are either running out of polyphony or the envelope is not resetting for some reason. Try increasing the polyphony on the Wasp (generator settings). If that doesn't work, try making all the notes in the offending pattern shorter (Edit menu - Length).
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby ThehakkeMadman » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:16 am

HYPNAGOGIA wrote:Is it just one specific instance of WASP or any one you insert at any time?

No, I can´t find any similarities. But I can say that this bug appeared in 2006 (or even earlier) and it could even appear in a new song. I still tested it on Windows XP again to make sure I don´t tell anything wrong, so that I can really say it seems to be not depending on any version of Windows. I changed my main hardware (Athlon XP, Intel Core Duo and now Quad Core) and I was using a Delta 1010LT, the USB Interface of my Yamaha MG206C and now I´m using a Fast Track Ultra 8R. And I recognized the issue within a fresh instance with only a WASP module and nothing else, even no effects...

bones wrote:I think you are either running out of polyphony or the envelope is not resetting for some reason. Try increasing the polyphony on the Wasp (generator settings). If that doesn't work, try making all the notes in the offending pattern shorter (Edit menu - Length).

I tried different polyphony settings for a long period of time but there were no differences. One thing I can say, and it could be more a feeling than an "objective knowledge", the bug appears when scrolling the song playlist or scrolling anything else within Orion. What makes me so uncertain about this statement is that the issue even appears when I don´t touch anything. More than that, I´m even not able to say if there are differences in the rate of issues.
The length of a note has no effect, nor the position. Complex melodies can be as buggy as simple 4 to the floor basslines.

But there´s light at the end of the tunnel. If I´d have to make a bet, I´m pointing at the envelope. I´m pretty sure that it´s something within the WASP itself but I still can´t believe that I´m the only unlucky devil who is a victim of voodoo power or something...
"I need more details."
ThehakkeMadman
Regular

Postby Kriminal » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:55 am

I remember this bug from way back. What version of orion are you using?
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby ThehakkeMadman » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:18 am

It should be the latest version, 8.504
"I need more details."
ThehakkeMadman
Regular

Postby Teksonik » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:19 pm

Wow that's weird. I don't use Wasp so I haven't had this happen. Does it always happen on the same note or does it for example skip the second note in a bar then next time through skip the fourth etc ?

This is probably not the issue but it's worth a mention..... if it's always the same note could it be the velocity for that note some how got set to zero?
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Marcin » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:08 pm

@ThehakkeMadman - for this issue the best way is to provide sfs file where the bug occurs (or if you're able to reproduce it on new project, or so). Please send it via PM to me, that file will not be public if you don't want publish your sfs.
Marcin
Synapse Audio

Return to Bug Reports