Dune 2 DSP overload with Multithreading enabled

Come across a bug in our software? Please report it here, and provide as many details as possible: Product, version number, soundcard, OS version etc.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Dune 2 DSP overload with Multithreading enabled

Postby 4damind » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:11 pm

There seems to be a bug with the multithread implementation. I have a lot of DSP overloads (and crackles) with Multithreading enabled. I have some other plug-ins with multithread support and they working excellent, so I expect some problem with the MT implementation.

CPU I7 3770, Cubase 7.5 64Bit on Windows 8.1 x64
Last edited by 4damind on Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4damind
Novice

Re: DSP overload with Multithreading enabled

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:46 pm

What is this relating to? DUNE 2?
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Re: Dune 2 DSP overload with Multithreading enabled

Postby 4damind » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:51 pm

I added this to the topic... Yes, Dune2.
4damind
Novice

Postby Yorrrrrr » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:53 pm

It seems to be related to Cubase. I've read about issues with DUNE 2 and that DAW.
Yorrrrrr
Regular

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:02 am

4damind wrote:I added this to the topic... Yes, Dune2.

You've added it to Bugs Report forum, and since Synapse doesn't make only DUNE or synths, and you didn't specify, I had to ask to make sure.

As for the problem you're having, we'll need more specifics about it, steps to reproduce, certain patches that cause the problem, version number (which you also didn't mention)... anything in detail that can help. DUNE 2 has passed quite extensive testing, and has revisions since release, and so far, of all the users, no one else reported any problems with multithreading... at least not here.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby Teksonik » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:04 am

There was this thread about Cubase and "ASIO Load". Not sure if that's what the OP means with DSP overloads........

http://forum.synapse-audio.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10938&hilit=Crackles
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby 4damind » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:59 am

No it's not a Cubase problem. I have other plug-ins with multihread support (Diva, Predator) which have not such spikes and working like a charm.
It must some not so good implementation if voices (or a complete stack) is spanned over multiple threads. The good thing is, that Dune2 doesn't need multithread support because the CPU is not so high (this is different with some other synth).
Anyway, the developers should take a look in to the multithread implementation and hopefully they find a solution (they can also ask Urs Heckmann maybe he shares some details)
4damind
Novice

Postby Teksonik » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:57 am

4damind wrote:No it's not a Cubase problem.

No, it's not a DUNE 2 problem since none of us have the problem you are reporting when using it in other hosts. If we had it would have been reported either at the beta forums, here or in the 61 page D2 thread at KVR. There is no "solution" needed and certainly no need to seek advice from Urs........

Just exactly what are "DSP overloads" ?
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby 4damind » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:23 am

Let the Synapse people handle this, it's a bug and now reported. They know that something with their multithread implementation is not working as expected. If it's a known behavior reported by other users, I can confirm this ;)
It's not a show stopper but it would be nice if they can fix this with some of the next updates.
4damind
Novice

Postby Teksonik » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:34 am

4damind wrote:They know that something with their multithread implementation is not working as expected.

I they knew it they would have fixed it already . What you have is a system specific issue not a confirmed Bug.

4damind wrote:If it's a known behavior reported by other users, I can confirm this ;)

It's not a known behavior.........as it hasn't been reported by other users.

4damind wrote:it would be nice if they can fix this with some of the next updates.

Fix what ? I've run DUNE 2 on three different computers with three different Operating Systems with three different soundcards in four different DAWS and not one crackle or "DSP overload". But then again I don't own or use CUBASE.............
Last edited by Teksonik on Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Teksonik » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:39 am

This is from the thread where someone reported "ASIO Spikes" in Cubase:

JohnDowe123 wrote:I managed to setup a Cubase project with high load where the spikes yield audible dropouts. With the same setup in Reaper I did not hear dropouts.
It is a hint that it indeed might be a Cubase issue
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:13 pm

4damind, let's be clear about something. If you think this is reporting a bug, I'm sorry, but you have no idea how to properly report a bug. You didn't give any of the details asked. All we hear from you from the very beginning is: "it's not Cubase or my computer... your software is faulty, fix it!" That's it. How are devs supposed to know what you are experiencing? And really, what the heck is DSP overload anyway?

So, before jumping to a conclusion and making assumptions, to short this one and to put it in a language you'll understand, please follow these instructions and provide answers:
1. Version number - DUNE 2 has 7 revisions, devs can't know if you've kept it updated
2. System specs: CPU, RAM, graphics, soundcard
3. What is your buffer set to?
4. The nature of the project - is it an isolated occurrence (when you insert only one instance) or is it within a larger project
5. Does it happen with certain patches or with all of them?
6. If it's a custom patch you made, insight into the settings would be good
7. Does this "DSP overload" (whatever it is) go away when you turn MT off?
8. What is the CPU usage when it happens?
9. What is the RAM usage when it happens?
10. If you move DUNE2 to another channel (rearrange it), is there any difference?

If you expect your issues to be resolved/fixed, you will have to provide some info. These steps are a good start. And please refrain from answering before you complete these steps. It will stop this topic from turning into an argument. Help the devs to help yourself ;)
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby Kriminal » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:59 pm

Blimey, you two are like Rich's personal attack dogs these days :lol:
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Teksonik » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:42 am

Kriminal wrote:Blimey, you two are like Rich's personal attack dogs these days :lol:

.......and I have Rabies........... :twisted:

It's more like defense than attack......but if Synapse can't even bother to post in their own forums perhaps that defense is just wasted time.......... :?
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:23 am

Guess it's one of those rare moments when Tek and I actually agree on something :lol:

Ok, it may seem like it, but it's for his own good. I am not being protective of anything or anyone here. If there's a problem, it needs to be fixed. Period. However, despite my wishes to help him, I can't, and you know very well that lack of information doesn't lead anywhere - he won't get his things fixed if he can't give a bit more info on how and when that's happening.

Right now, as he went about it is exactly like taking your car to a mechanic, telling him "car drives, but it doesn't work properly, it keeps stuttering on the road" without even telling the said mechanic what you were doing when this stuttering occurred or if you by any chance used some equipment that may have caused it to stutter.

But, if you drove a car to a mechanic and said "hey, my car keeps stuttering when I drive it. Could you take a look at it? Oh, and I had these custom suspension bars installed, and I may have kept pushing the pedal on occasion", he'd actually have something to look at.

Now, regarding DUNE's MT implementation, Rich was specific about it during tests. I recall he asked for CPU readings with and without on certain load-heavy patches to see if it's working properly, and none of the testers complained about anything. Then, it gets releases and again loads of people that bought it didn't complain about it - the complaints about stuttering were so rare and I'd guess very specific (or unrecognizable at the very least). That alone tells something.

The bottom line is, telling Rich and Marcin to "look into their MT implementation" would probably lead them to look at the code and be all like "Ok, we had it implemented. Now what?" I can't imagine anyone would expect something to be fixed without even telling what exactly to look for.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Next

Return to Bug Reports