Antidote Key Follow Modulation

Come across a bug in our software? Please report it here, and provide as many details as possible: Product, version number, soundcard, OS version etc.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Antidote Key Follow Modulation

Postby midiguru » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:38 pm

This isn't exactly a bug, but in my opinion it's a design deficiency. Whether it could be corrected without disturbing backward patch compatibility ... maybe, maybe not.

This morning I tried programming Antidote to play in 19-note-per-octave equal temperament, using the Mod Matrix with Key Follow as the source and Pitch Coarse as the destination. A setting of -77 produces a reasonably good 19-note scale between MIDI notes 60 and 79 (from Middle C to the G an octave and a fifth higher). However, this is the ONLY range where I hear a good 19-note octave, and the triads are not in tune even within this range.

You can trust me on what the triads are supposed to sound like -- I've used 19-note tuning extensively.

From note 41 to note 60, the expected octave sound is about a half-step too wide. From 79 to 98 it's about a half-step too narrow. What this tells me is that the Key Follow signal (an integer) is not being applied to the oscillator frequency using the correct math. I'm not a math expert, so I can't tell you what formula you would need to use to produce good 19-note octaves and precise 19-note micro-steps across the whole keyboard; I can only report that the formula being used isn't correct.

Much the same thing happens with other attempts at micro-tuned equal temperaments. 17 notes per octave is an interesting scale, but Antidote can't do it either. If the center octave is close to being in tune, the outer octaves are out of tune.

I really would appreciate it if you could address this problem in an update.
midiguru
Novice

Return to Bug Reports