Dune 2 won't map with Alesis vi25 controller (Studio One 3)

Come across a bug in our software? Please report it here, and provide as many details as possible: Product, version number, soundcard, OS version etc.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Dune 2 won't map with Alesis vi25 controller (Studio One 3)

Postby Troy1969 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:06 am

I just purchased the full version of Dune 2 yesterday. I use Studio One 3 Professional with an Alesis vi25 keyboard controller. Keys work, Mod and Pitch wheels work, aftertouch works, key velocity works, sustain pedal works, but the "midi learn" feature won't work with the knobs or buttons.

I have read the entire manual and followed the midi learn instructions, rebooted Dune 2, Studio One 3, and whole computer with no change. My controller works great with Studio One and all other plugins (EDIT: works with Studio One 3 native plugins only! All others must use the procedure that I posted in the update below.)
Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by Troy1969 on Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Troy1969
Novice

Re: Dune 2 won't map with Alesis vi25 controller (Studio One

Postby Teksonik » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:49 pm

So right click on a knob, select Midi Learn, then turn a knob on your Alesis does not work ? I don't own Studio One but I just checked with the latest version of DUNE 2 in Sonar, Reaper, FL Studio, and Orion. Midi learn worked in all of them. (edit 2) Midi Learn worked in Sonar the second time I tried. Not sure why it didn't the first time........ :?

Does anyone else here own Studio One that could help ?
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby heks » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:27 pm

Right mouse clicking on a knob then selecting midi learn works here in Studio One V2. Don't have V3 so don't know if they changed something.
heks
Apprentice

Postby Teksonik » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:51 pm

Ok thanks at least we know it worked in an earlier version of Studio One. :)
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Troy1969 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:50 pm

Update: :D

Okay, I finally got it working in Studio One 3 but not by the right click method. Studio One 3 has a feature called "Control Link" which I had to use as a "bridge" to learn the knobs and faders of Dune 2. So it had nothing to do with Dune 2 or the Alesis controller.

The plugin host window in studio one 3 shows this in the upper left corner, but only after you click on the gear icon in the upper right corner (see screenshot 09). This highlights your controller name in yellow and exposes the otherwise hidden control link area on the left (see screenshot 10). If you move a control in Dune 2, the name of the control appears in the control link area. If I move a control on my keyboard the name of the control appears on the right in the same area. Here's the tricky part: The arrow icon (a white triangle) between the two of them has to be clicked on, which highlights it yellow (see screenshot 11). THEN the controller will work. This procedure points the hardware control to the Dune 2 control.

Also FYI, after testing other plugins, the only ones that worked with the right click method were studio one's native plugins. All the 3rd party plugins I tried had to use the hidden control link method that I have explained here. I know this is a somewhat confusing procedure, until you do it once or twice, but I must say I really love Studio One 3 Pro, so I can deal with the slight inconvenience but the right click method would be more convenient. And now I also really love my new Dune 2!! :D

Screenshot (09).jpg

Screenshot (10).jpg

Screenshot (11).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Troy1969
Novice

Postby Teksonik » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:32 pm

Well I'm glad you got it sorted out............ :)
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Troy1969 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:36 am

Me too, thank you for your help and input :)
Troy1969
Novice

Postby Teksonik » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:32 pm

My pleasure...... :)

Oh and Hey Synapse, you're welcome for the free tech support. I had nothing better to do at 7 o'clock on a Sunday morning..... :roll:
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:07 am

Teksonik wrote:Oh and Hey Synapse, you're welcome for the free tech support. I had nothing better to do at 7 o'clock on a Sunday morning..... :roll:

HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Return to Bug Reports