Where are the presets?

Come across a bug in our software? Please report it here, and provide as many details as possible: Product, version number, soundcard, OS version etc.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Re: Where are the presets?

Postby Teksonik » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:08 pm

I would have to go through Firefox but maybe someone who is more Linux experienced than I am would know another way. Ubuntu is pretty newbie friendly otherwise I'd be lost. I enjoy it for a change of pace but if I had to rely on Ubuntu for music production I'd probably retire. :lol:
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:56 am

Teksonik wrote:I would have to go through Firefox but maybe someone who is more Linux experienced than I am would know another way. Ubuntu is pretty newbie friendly otherwise I'd be lost. I enjoy it for a change of pace but if I had to rely on Ubuntu for music production I'd probably retire. :lol:

My recent dabbling, about a year ago or so, with Linux included trying out Mint, Debian and one other because I wanted to use my second computer as a home-made server that I'd use for web designs, development, server backups and testing out various CMSs. It was horrible. I'm a fairly advanced PC user, but I literally had to google every single thing how to do (networking with Windows PC was one). Mint froze right after closing a video file from a shared drive and never recovered after that, which I thought was very weird given how fool-proof Linux generally is. At that point, I realized that I'd do better with a Windows machine running WAMP for PHP and database services. :lol:

I've tried Ubuntu several years ago, booted it up as a LiveCD thing. Being that all of my software are basically Windows or Mac based (like Adobe stuff, Sound Forge, Sony Vegas, CorelDraw, not to mention games), it was the moment when I realized that Linux is not for me as I sat there staring at the screen with Ubuntu on it, asking myself "Ok, what should I do with it now?" I was clueless what I wanted to do there, which is something I've never encountered with Windows.

But anyway, we derailed this topic quite enough, I'd say :lol: We should wait for a reply from the OP and see what he says :)
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby terminalman » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:25 pm

Teksonik wrote:DUNE 2 does install the Presets in a specific place....so it can find them. I've never seen anyone else complain in the years since DUNE 2 was released that the Presets were installed any place else. You've made "over a thousand user presets" and you didn't know where they were located ? Every time you save a Preset it shows the path where it will be saved. :?

yes but its not installing them in the normal place
terminalman
Novice

Postby terminalman » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:29 pm

So i have tried yet again to install dune 2 and it still is saving presets to somewhere other than My Documents on my C drive there is no folder in my documents so how to i look at a log or something to find out where the presets folder is and how do i fix this?
terminalman
Novice

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:10 am

The location should be this:

Screen Shot 17-02-11 at 12.40 AM.PNG

This simply can't fail. The installer reads the variable from the registry (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders\Personal) to find where it needs to put things (specifically, where your Documents folder is). To say that it doesn't is basically an indication that something might be wrong with your system.

To test it, do this:
- open the Explorer (Windows key on your keyboard + E, open My Computer - since you never said what OS version you're on)
- on the left side, just click on Documents (or open Documents from the Start menu and skip first step)
- locate folder called Synapse Audio
- see if there's DUNE 2 folder inside

If there isn't, try running DUNE2 Setup "as administrator" to grant it higher privileges to write to system drives/folders. If there is a "DUNE 2" folder in Documents, try running your DAW as administrator. Alternatively, try searching for "Synapse Audio" or "DUNE 2" on all your drives (without quotes).

Please, reply with the findings. And please, tell us what OS/version and what DAW you're using.
Cheers!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby Teksonik » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:21 am

HYPNAGOGIA wrote:This simply can't fail.

At least not with a legitimate version of DUNE 2......... :?
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:05 pm

That's true.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby terminalman » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:51 pm

Ok i created a new user and it works that way im going to try the move documents folder to skydrive to see if that fixes anything and then at least i have a backup of anything that software decides to install in documents
terminalman
Novice

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:44 pm

terminalman wrote:Ok i created a new user and it works that way im going to try the move documents folder to skydrive to see if that fixes anything and then at least i have a backup of anything that software decides to install in documents

How exactly do you intend to do that? You can't actually move Documents to OneDrive properly, your files will still be physically present on your hard drive in C:\Users\YOU\OneDrive. But I guess you would have backups.

Have you even tried anything suggested here?
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby Teksonik » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:50 pm

No, don't move anything. That is what is causing the problem in the first place. Leave the DUNE 2 installation right where it is and schedule backups for your Soundbanks and Wavetables folders. Any software installs it's files in certain locations for a reason. When you start moving things willy nilly is when problems start...... :wink:

Don't make things more complicated than they have to be............
Teksonik
Godlike

Previous

Return to Bug Reports