The Legend -Occasional phantom square wave

Come across a bug in our software? Please report it here, and provide as many details as possible: Product, version number, soundcard, OS version etc.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

The Legend -Occasional phantom square wave

Postby sblack303 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:35 am

Twice this has happened. Whilst tweaking the feedback and drive near to max value a phantom square wave sounds appears and won't go away. Even when all three oscillators are turned off and turned down the phantom square wave (at a low frequency - approx 100 hz) won't go away. The pitch varies with the volume ADSR so you can make pitch sweep effects when it happens. Anyone else noticed this?

Steve
sblack303
Novice

Re: The Legend -Occasional phantom square wave

Postby Yorrrrrr » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:50 pm

In my own testing, if a turn all the oscillators volume all the way down, and the feedback volume all the way up, there is going to be what resembles a square wave, but it goes away if I release the key or lower the volume.
Yorrrrrr
Regular

Postby Richard » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:30 am

Is this the early or late model (back panel switch)? The early revision models some extra subtle leakage currents, however it could be something else as well, there is quite a ton of details in The Legend :)

In general it is normal for a vintage synth to exhibit various subtle artifacts even when all oscillators are turned off. This is because when you press or release a key, all circuits, in particular the envelope generators (Filter, Amp) are triggered anyway, and this pretty much always has some audible effect as long as the synth is "truely" analog, i.e. build with discrete components and not microprocessor-controlled.
Richard
Synapse Audio

Postby sblack303 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:55 pm

I think I realise now that the phantom square is supposed be there as an artefact of self resonance. So it's not a bug, but more of a quirk of the design and it can actually be quite a musical useful effect if you get the phantom square to interact with the other wave. I got some great growlie sounds last night using this method :).

Turning all the oscillators to zero does allow the phantom square to stand alone with resonance turned up. The Early/Late model revision switch on the back changes the presence of the phantom square.

So I stand corrected, It's not a bug, It's a really nice thing when you get to know how to control it. It takes some practice though. I love this synth more than any other VSTi I've ever had :D
sblack303
Novice

Return to Bug Reports