Strange Ableton-only bug uncovered when using Premium Trance

Come across a bug in our software? Please report it here, and provide as many details as possible: Product, version number, soundcard, OS version etc.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Re: Strange Ableton-only bug uncovered when using Premium Tr

Postby great-bear » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:02 pm

I'm using Dune 2.50 on Ableton Suite 9.7.1 under Windows 10

Everything is 64bit - which may be relevant.

On both Ardour and Ableton "9/24" voices are showing, when a single note is played (Aquatix EDT)
Last edited by great-bear on Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
great-bear
Novice

Postby Christophe » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:06 pm

i am with live 32 bit under win7, maybe there is a bug with the 64 bit version
Yamaha CS-30, Roland SH-1, Roland MKS70, Focusrite Scarlett 18i6, Yamaha FS1R, Oberheim Matrix 1000, Novation Remote 37SL, Korg Legacy, Alesis M1Active 520, Novation Launchpad Pro, Push2, Intel i7-7700HQ
Christophe

Postby Marcin » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:13 pm

Ok. It doesn't look like DUNE 2's issue. Simply look at the midi led during program change. Ableton sends some midi data after the program change (I suppose it is key or midi mapping set up for the new project / empty midi track by default). In the result of that, DUNE 2 soloes voices or does some other things, depends on your actual configurations. Please check the items on the mappings in your Ableton.
Marcin
Synapse Audio

Postby great-bear » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:17 am

EDITED: I had stated

No Marcin, that's not it.

You can load the Dune patch FXPs into Dune using the Ableton VST user interface. There's no MIDI lamp flicker under such program change circumstances, but the problem does not go away.

This turns out only to be true if you're repeatedly loading the same patch.
Last edited by great-bear on Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
great-bear
Novice

Postby great-bear » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:00 am

WORKAROUND FOUND! :-)

Marcin,

I've discovered an interesting workaround that fixes the problem and will give you some insight into what is going on. Simply RE-SAVE the troublesome preset (using the Dune 2 GUI) from a host in which Dune 2 works properly. I have tested Komplete Kontrol, Ardour and Tracktion, and they all re-save patches which then correctly load into Ableton.

[EDIT: As shown later in this thread, this turned out to be an illusion and even a plain file copy might load differently under the right conditions]

So I would guess that Dune 2 may be assuming that newly-allocated parameter block memory is cleared or initialised in a certain way, and the patches (as supplied) don't supply all parameter values for that reason. When freshly re-saved however, all values are being probably written out to the FXP, and so they fully set-up the patch when loaded into Ableton. Just a wild guess though and I may be completely wrong. Please do post what it turns out to be.
Last edited by great-bear on Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
great-bear
Novice

Postby Teksonik » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:58 am

great-bear wrote: I may be completely wrong.

That would be my guess. :wink:
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Marcin » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:23 am

Can you send me a couple of "invalid" patches? I'll compare with those valid ones.

You can load the Dune patch FXPs into Dune using the Ableton VST user interface

I suppose it also flashes at there. :-)

may be assuming that newly-allocated parameter block memory (...) When freshly re-saved however

Nope. The plugin doesn't do any assumptions on the program load, so it loads the program just fine. Some midi data is sending to the plugin right after program is changed, otherwise you would hear an invalid patches in any host.
Marcin
Synapse Audio

Postby great-bear » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:46 am

EDITED - I previously said:

great-bear wrote:As previously stated, no MIDI data is being sent when loading patches via the Ableton UI rather than the Dune 2 UI:

AbletonVstLoader.png

As initially described, the issue would indicate that some residual state information from the previously loaded patch is not being reset when the new patch is loaded in.

I will send over some patch files later today.

Rgds,
J.

It turns out that this is only the case if you are repeatedly loading the same patch.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by great-bear on Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
great-bear
Novice

Postby great-bear » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:30 pm

Attached, some original, unmodified factory files (that don't load properly in my Ableton system) plus "fixed" versions (re-saved in Dune 2, from within another, working host application) that subsequently load just fine in Ableton.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
great-bear
Novice

Postby Marcin » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:02 pm

As expected. Internally the .fxp data (except patch name) is equal for both versions of the fxp files, original patch and the "fixed" one.
Marcin
Synapse Audio

Postby great-bear » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:37 am

Marcin,

Appreciate that we've both spent enough time on this now. It has indeed proved true that even a straight copy of the patch loads differently as shown in this new video here:

https://youtu.be/BuQzVLsVaQs

At this point, I give up...

If I ever get to the bottom of what's going on, I'll post it here. In the mean time I'll just wrap Dune 2 in Komplete Kontrol to get some consistent behaviour.

Thanks again for your time.

Rgds, J.
great-bear
Novice

Postby great-bear » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:47 am

Aaaaargh!! - just when I said I was "giving up" :lol: :lol:

- I couldn't help but notice that the Dune 2 MIDI in lamp DOES NOT flash when flipping between identical copies of the same patch with the Dune UI...

Further testing reveals that if instead you use the Ableton UI to load the same patch more than once, that's the situation when the MIDI in lamp does not flash - but also, the patch does sound OK at that point. It looks like you're right - Ableton is zapping Dune with some weird MIDI control.

Marcin - apologies for contradicting you - this Ableton behaviour is odd and it's easy to get confused. Whatever Ableton is injecting via MIDI it is doing directly, as inserting a Max 4 Live MIDI monitor before Dune 2 picks up nothing.

I am now going to inject some MIDI messages of my own to see if I can replicate the sound of the affected patches. Reset All Controllers had no effect, so it's not that...
great-bear
Novice

Postby great-bear » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:06 am

Marcin,

Is there any difference (other than patch name) in the content of the attached two files?

- I have reason to believe that "Aquatix EDT 2" may be a successful snapshot of the patch after being "zapped" by the incoming MIDI message, and as such may give a clue as to what that inbound message may be (on the other hand, you may have an easier way of determining/logging what Ableton is sending inbound? :wink: )

Rgds,
J.
great-bear
Novice

Postby Marcin » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:25 pm

Those two patches don't have differences in the parameters during load, but indeed they sound differently.
Marcin
Synapse Audio

Postby great-bear » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:44 pm

Is it down to the default values for the ten missing parameters?
(and are these being initialised consistently?)

Code: Select all
======== RESTART: C:\Users\jmurray\Dropbox\Python\ReadDuneFxpFile.py ========
There are 768 parameters in file "fxp/Aquatix EDT 2.fxp" for a preset called "Aquatix EDT 2"
There are 758 parameters in file "fxp/Aquatix EDT.fxp" for a preset called "Aquatix EDT"
great-bear
Novice

PreviousNext

Return to Bug Reports