Dune2 MSEG and LFO issues

Come across a bug in our software? Please report it here, and provide as many details as possible: Product, version number, soundcard, OS version etc.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Dune2 MSEG and LFO issues

Postby Arksun » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:07 am

Dune2 ver 2.5 64-bit
Host: Cubase 7.5 64-bit, Win 7 64-bit

1) MSEG Retriggering.

When the synth is set to Mono mode, the MSEGS (in Sync & Loop mode) don't retrigger upon each new note if the previous key is still held during transition between the notes. It's acting as if its legato. Really it should be retriggering for mono mode.

(As a side note, for Poly mode would be nice to have the option to have the MSEGS run mono or retrigger per each note played as well)

2) LFO Random S&H mode.

When the LFO is set to S&H and Poly mode, it isn't random, it follows the exact same pattern for each new note triggered.
Arksun
Novice

Re: Dune2 MSEG and LFO issues

Postby Saukar23 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:13 pm

Confirmed.
Like sucks if you blow chunks
Saukar23
Regular

Postby Richard » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:26 pm

1) Loop/Sync will either slave to the sequencer ("Sync: Host"), which means it is slaved to the sequencer and it doesn't matter what keys you press, or it is slaved to the first note in a sequence ("Sync: Internal"), the default behavior. Both ways are essential when playing gated sounds, sequences etc, whether monophonic or polyphonic, otherwise such sounds would be out of sync. A large part of the Factory library relies on this behavior.

2) True. The idea of the Poly LFO is that often one uses it to be able to start the modulation from zero, as opposed to starting from a somewhat random phase (the phase of the global LFO, which could be anywhere). Hence, the Poly LFO always resets the LFO phase on each keypress when enabled. I suppose you want to apply S+H noise to multiple voices and in a non-uniform way. This makes perfect sense but is not currently possible, so we'll have to rethink the Poly LFO concept :)
Richard
Synapse Audio

Postby Arksun » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:10 pm

Richard wrote:1) Loop/Sync will either slave to the sequencer ("Sync: Host"), which means it is slaved to the sequencer and it doesn't matter what keys you press, or it is slaved to the first note in a sequence ("Sync: Internal"), the default behavior. Both ways are essential when playing gated sounds, sequences etc, whether monophonic or polyphonic, otherwise such sounds would be out of sync. A large part of the Factory library relies on this behavior.

2) True. The idea of the Poly LFO is that often one uses it to be able to start the modulation from zero, as opposed to starting from a somewhat random phase (the phase of the global LFO, which could be anywhere). Hence, the Poly LFO always resets the LFO phase on each keypress when enabled. I suppose you want to apply S+H noise to multiple voices and in a non-uniform way. This makes perfect sense but is not currently possible, so we'll have to rethink the Poly LFO concept :)

1) Given the fact the synth only has 3 LFO to play with for soo many potential simultaneous oscillators, it would be nice to use the MSEGS in an LFO type way that mean it always retriggered on new notes in mono. I get where you're coming from and like you say certain factory presets rely on this. Perhaps something for a future update then to allow this functionality.

2) Not sure if you quite understood what I mean here. The LFO with Poly mode, Sync and S&H already allows you to have the S&H pattern to run independently at different times for each note pressed. All I'm saying is S&H is supposed to be random in its behaviour. So yes, as its synced it always starts on note start in sync, but the actual value the LFO is sending out should be a random value as it is in mono. Instead of S&H seeming like its really holding random values, its following a very specific pattern of values each time.

I can't say what those values are exactly but lets say I have an LFO assigned to modulate filter cutoff with the LFO Sync ON, Poly ON and S&H

I play the first note and the filter cutoff goes from values say 35, 64, 2, 99, 16
I then play another note some time later and guess what, again the filter cutoff is 35, 64, 2 99, 16

The pattern S&H follows in poly sync mode is ALWAYS the same pattern of values each time, not random.

This is not how S&H should behave nor is it how it behaves in any other synth I've ever tried. When I play another note or even the same note again it should be totally different values, not following some specific look up table pattern.

If Dunes way of generating random values is actually following this predetermined set of random-ish values, just have it so when each new note is played the start point is different, for example, note 2 pattern goes 2, 99, 16, 74... its started from 2 instead of 35 on this predetermined table.

Here's an audio example to demonstrate what I mean, first half is U-He Hive (correct random behaviour) second half is Dune2 (non-random repeating pattern)

https://soundcloud.com/arksun/lfo-sh-issue/s-icTxo

I hope that makes sense now?
Arksun
Novice

Return to Bug Reports