The Legend: AU vs. VST (bug) in Ableton Live 9

Come across a bug in our software? Please report it here, and provide as many details as possible: Product, version number, soundcard, OS version etc.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

The Legend: AU vs. VST (bug) in Ableton Live 9

Postby PastorTheDoctor » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:48 pm

Hi guys, I'm new here. My name is Antonio.
I have to inform you about what it seems to be a bug.
I use a project in Ableton Live 9.7.3 to play live (sorry for the word joke). I purchased The Legend, which I think it sounds great, except for its behaviour when VST in Ableton Live: I noticed that, though saving every sound as .fxp and .fxb and every kind of saving I could do, anytime I open this project, presets do not load correctly in The Legend. It loads different unwanted presets.
So, I decided to try changing every Legend instance with the AU version of the same synth. I saved everything, and now it seems to work.
I would like you to solve this problem, so we could use The Legend both as AU and as VST, with no issues.

In this project, I have different Group Tracks, everyone containing tracks with sounds I wanna use loaded in. I use ClyphX to automatize every track-arm and every action I want to happen at a certain point in live.
I upload an image, so you can better understand what I'm saying.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PastorTheDoctor
Novice

Re: The Legend: AU vs. VST (bug) in Ableton Live 9

Postby Kriminal » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:50 pm

I assume you mean the Win vst and Mac AU ?

What is your system(s) spec?
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby PastorTheDoctor » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:41 pm

I work with a MacBook Pro retina 15" mid-2014 16 GB RAM, Intel Core i7 2.2 GHz, 256 GB SSD. I run OS X Yosemite 10.10.5. Some of my samples are in an external hard drive, but The Legend is entirely on my main partition.
Anyway, loading as AU and saving the banks into Ableton Live, it works fine. But given I can use Kontakt 5 just as VST, I assume that The Legend's VST version too has to work well in an OSX environment.
PastorTheDoctor
Novice

Postby Kriminal » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:37 am

I thought the mac version was AU only...?
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Marcin » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:50 am

We'll look into the issue.
Marcin
Synapse Audio

Postby PastorTheDoctor » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:28 pm

Now, it happens with Audio Units too.
After trying a little bit my live set, some patches started to change, really don't know why.
I'm trying to find out if it is because of MIDI environment and MIDI messages, because of The Legend or because of Ableton Live.
My live set is very articulated: group of tracks, every of which is an instrument. Every group of tracks corresponds to a song.
I trigger and arm the tracks inside the group tracks through an X-Clip and ClyphX as Control Surface.
There are 9 instances of The Legend, all bass or lead. I have the impression that the problem appears with multiple tracks with the same name (e. g. "Bass"):
what happens is that these tracks set their Legend preset to the last Legend preset I've loaded, or at least the last track with The Legend loaded in.
The tracks this happens with are pretty distant one another.
Maybe they sometimes share the same MIDI Input Channel (mainly 2 or 3), through which I control my performance in the Physis K4 EX MIDI keyboard.
In the Physis, I have every preset for each song too.

This issue happened with other external instruments I used, and as long as I don't use them everything works fine.
This makes me think that, as it happened to other manufacturers' plug-ins, the bug could reside in The Legend.
If this synth were not The Legend, I would've already solved my problem just by changing it with a different instrument.
PastorTheDoctor
Novice

Postby PastorTheDoctor » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:30 pm

UPDATE:
I think I found out what the bug is!
In the VST case, patches changed with no particular reason.
In the AU case, as I told you before, I had many tracks receiving the MIDI messages from the same audio channel. During the live set, my tracks receive some control from ClyphX’s clips, as I told you before.
The Legend’s tracks with the same name and the same channel, after a while of practicing my live set, and so changing parameters here and there in Ableton Live, resulted to have completely changed.
Is the fact that they had the same name a coincidence? Maybe, but they also were assigned at the same channel. So, I assume it is an issue related to MIDI Input messagging (and to MIDI Input Channel).
And when they change name, they usually go at the first preset in the same Legend’s bank, which is a User Bank I created for this live gigs.

In the end, it also happens that when I change patch in a Legend instance which receives input from MIDI ch. 5 (for example), all the other Legend instances in the project receiving from MIDI ch. 5 will randomly change their patches.
n this case, the patch doesn’t always turn to the first in the bank list, but it still turns to a patch contained in the same User Bank I talked about above.
The two elements to consider, in my opinion, are:
MIDI input
The Legend’s internal [user?] banks

EDIT: though I changed all the MIDI channels to all The Legend tracks of the project, it still keeps changing.
So, I think that finally this is a Legend's issue.
I think I'll temporarily solve the problem by creating a single user bank with a single user patch inside each bank, for each Legend instance.
I'll tell you if it works.

EDIT 2: nothing, though I have created a bank for every single patch, now my Legend instances even shift between the global bunch of patches (not only in the bank the correct patch resides). So, it's just a Legend's issue: when there are multiple instances of The Legend open, it happens that they shift the patches.
I'll try with another AU to see if the problem persists.
PastorTheDoctor
Novice

Postby ukm » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:07 pm

I have a similar problem with TheLegend in Cantabile3. May be this occurs with Dune2 too. Otherwise these are fine instruments.

ukm
ukm
Novice

Return to Bug Reports