Obsession + "Const" Pitch Fluctuation issue

Come across a bug in our software? Please report it here, and provide as many details as possible: Product, version number, soundcard, OS version etc.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Obsession + "Const" Pitch Fluctuation issue

Postby MattLeschuck » Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:00 pm

Ive noticed when using the mod matrix to lower the pitch an Octave, be it with Part A/B Semi, the OSC 1/2 Semi or the common Pitch Semi, i get inconsistent results. Often the results fluctuate by about 1 semitone. I noticed this when building patches today and trying to layer in a "sub" layer.

Im not very versed in old analogue synth emulations so I apologize if this is just an actual feature. Regardless though, i noticed my patches where sounding out of tune, and not in the good kinda drift way.

Video here showing what i mean, you can hear the obvious fluctuation when i go back to the Pitch Semi adjustment..

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1x7Fc5OaoOY9VfdaHL1-a_5wfKPO4YK4X/view?usp=share_link
MattLeschuck
Novice

Re: Obsession + "Const" Pitch Fluctuation issue

Postby Teksonik » Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:10 am

Hmmmm doesn't seem to happen here on Windows. Looks like you're on Mac?

Try this patch and see if it still happens. Adjusting the two pitch values always yields the expected results here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby MattLeschuck » Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:12 am

Teksonik wrote:Hmmmm doesn't seem to happen here on Windows. Looks like you're on Mac?

Try this patch and see if it still happens. Adjusting the two pitch values always yields the expected results here.

Just tested your patch and the same thing happens. I can't find a pattern to it. But every few times I adjust one of the two pitch parameters I can clearly hear that it is not in tune. My only solution has been to adjust it back and forth until it lands in tune. The Spectrogram confirms that it's off when its off.

I am on a Mac using the latest version of Logic on Monterey. Im going to go test in Reason and Pro Tools and will report back.
MattLeschuck
Novice

Postby Teksonik » Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:30 am

Ok it could be an issue that only affects the Mac version or a particular DAW. I've tried over and over and can't seem to trigger it here on Windows 10. The semitone values are always accurate. I'll test it on my studio system tomorrow and see if I can reproduce it there.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby MattLeschuck » Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:26 am

Teksonik wrote:Ok it could be an issue that only affects the Mac version or a particular DAW. I've tried over and over and can't seem to trigger it here on Windows 10. The semitone values are always accurate. I'll test it on my studio system tomorrow and see if I can reproduce it there.

Ok, just tested in both Reason and Pro Tools and the same thing happens.

Hopefully Richard chimes in.

And thank you for taking the time to test as well.
MattLeschuck
Novice

Postby Teksonik » Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:19 pm

Alright, I've tested both the VST 2 and 3 versions in three different DAWs on my studio system and I can't seem to reproduce the issue there either.

We'll have to wait and see what Richard and Marcin have to say on the issue.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Kriminal » Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:27 pm

Nvmd
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby MattLeschuck » Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:59 pm

Teksonik wrote:Alright, I've tested both the VST 2 and 3 versions in three different DAWs on my studio system and I can't seem to reproduce the issue there either.

We'll have to wait and see what Richard and Marcin have to say on the issue.

Really appreciate the help, thanks for testing.
MattLeschuck
Novice

Postby Richard » Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:28 pm

It is due to how the knobs in the mod matrix works, they are not quantized but have a very high precision.

Simply double-click or ctrl+click on a knob to reset it to precisely the center, and the problem should disappear :)
Richard
Synapse Audio

Postby MattLeschuck » Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:34 am

Richard wrote:It is due to how the knobs in the mod matrix works, they are not quantized but have a very high precision.

Simply double-click or ctrl+click on a knob to reset it to precisely the center, and the problem should disappear :)

Doing this still results in the pitch occasionally being out of tune for me when dragging to -12 for example (you can see me doing your suggestion in the video i attached). Centering to 0 by doubling clicking or control clicking is one thing, but i can only drag to get down to -12 or up to +12.
Last edited by MattLeschuck on Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
MattLeschuck
Novice

Postby MattLeschuck » Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:53 am

Just tested the RE version and it works correctly without going out of tune.
MattLeschuck
Novice

Postby Richard » Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:49 pm

The RE knobs have a different range, iirc the MIDI range (127 steps).

What we could do is quantize the knob values for specific targets like Pitch Semi, so that it is no longer possible to dial in e.g. 0.1 Semitones up or things like that.
Richard
Synapse Audio

Postby MattLeschuck » Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:04 pm

Richard wrote:The RE knobs have a different range, iirc the MIDI range (127 steps).

What we could do is quantize the knob values for specific targets like Pitch Semi, so that it is no longer possible to dial in e.g. 0.1 Semitones up or things like that.

I think that would be helpful. It can be pretty noticeable when using dual mode and stacking layers that are an octave or 7th apart (when its out of tune). Im occasionally getting where its on the upper part of a semitone off (C sounds like C#)

Maybe the ability to type in values could work too?

Anyways, thanks for taking the time to explain :).
MattLeschuck
Novice

Postby Teksonik » Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:36 pm

Richard wrote:What we could do is quantize the knob values for specific targets like Pitch Semi, so that it is no longer possible to dial in e.g. 0.1 Semitones up or things like that.

As it is now with Constant to Pitch Semi the knobs do quantize to semitones (at least on Windows). In other words we can't dial in a value like +7 semitones and +20 cents. Only semitone adjustments are possible.

Or am I missing something?
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Richard » Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:10 pm

If you hold down shift for knob fine tuning, it can happen on Windows, too.
Richard
Synapse Audio

Next

Return to Bug Reports