OP Sampler: Layer Toolbox Octave Crashes

Come across a bug in our software? Please report it here, and provide as many details as possible: Product, version number, soundcard, OS version etc.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Postby Dungeon Studio » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:31 am

Trying to tame a really low octave ,WAV sample set upwards. At first I went 12 and saved and closed and played - still too low. Again to Layer Toolbox, and up another 12, saved and played. Still to low. Up another 12, saved - and when I went to close the mapping window, Orion hung and crashed? I reopened Orion, the sampler and the preset and it was still an octave too low. Up 12, save - close map window, and hang and crash again? Reopen Orion, sampler and preset, and thankfully the octaves seemed to take this time.

Not sure what was happening there, but if anyone wants to try replicating it? :confused:
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

Postby Kriminal » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:51 am

i got that alot when i tried to map diff layers an oct or 3 above/beloew exh other....i just gave up and loaded two samplers
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Richard » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:17 am

Creating custom programs inside the SAMPLER is the last area where Orion has severe bugs still. The problem is the user has too much freedom in choosing files to start with, AKAI, Soundfonts, OSP, Kurzweil etc., then many types of WAV files (16/24/32 bits, compressed may work too), all of this is very messy and complex and then there's the groove slicer too. Bundling programs into projects can be problematic for the same reason.

I'll think about a solution to overcome all of those problems, maybe by not allowing you to mix certain types of files, or rejecting problematic WAV files.

Now if you could post the WAV file and provide a step-by-step guide how to reproduce the problem, it would greatly help :)
Richard
Synapse Audio

Postby Kriminal » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:26 am

i always use 16/44 mono files, the prob was just tuning an oct up/down, didnt seem to like it much

i did a huge amount last year and only had a few probs, but got round it...if i have time i'll try to get something reproduced (but im not sure i even have original wavs)
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Dungeon Studio » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:56 pm

The .WAV's were just home made 16/44 mono files as well, but quite alot and fiarly big altogether. The steps are there above, and seems if it goes to a 3 octave up? The first two octaves worked well in saving and closing the map window. It wasn't until going up that extra octave the problems started.

No biggie Rich, probably my error in the first place having these samples so low when making the .OSP so long ago. I did eventually get it to where I needed to be, aside from al the strangeness of hangs and crashes - so that's good for OP.
And is hopefully something I won't have to contend with again for quite some time. ;)

As for 'severe bugs' in the sampler Rich - I certainly haven't come across anything crippling when it comes to making music with it. Pretty robust and sturdy little beast IMO. :cool:
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

Postby Richard » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:18 pm

No I didn't mean the sampler, only the Sampler editor, and only in special cases. That bundling problem I fixed today, so it's one bug less. Turned out that bundling buggy/incomplete WAV files wasn't handled with grace, now it is. Wasn't even an Orion bug strictly speaking, but anyways, improving stability is always good. Overall I'm very happy with the bugs in Orion 7.x, or rather, the lack of them. I recently browsed on a variety of other *cough* hosts forums, to see how stable they are compared to Orion, and the buglists posted there are shocking, to say the least. Judging from those lists frustrated users compiled, I'm pretty sure Orion is the most stable host on the market now :) Sorry to derail the thread though :)
Richard
Synapse Audio

Postby Dungeon Studio » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:48 pm

Oops, my bad. :shame: But like krim says, I've only gone at it with simple .WAV's for a simple .OSP. Recently got into this 'Layers stuff' and all. Some people really like doing all that, but I was raised on Casio SK1's and PCM Waveform cards. ;)
But OP's sampler is really good for the simple to complex stuff, that's for sure!
I'm surprised .SF2's aren't more seriously regarded still? But you know my wish for the Exclusive Class (nudge-nudge ;) ) So with the OP sampler and Vienna editors, I'd be more than a happy man! :D

As for other suites, I glance at them - but don't intrigue or wow me in the least.
Went to a place awhile back for auditions, and the keyboardist spent an hour and a half trying to get his electric piano MIDI out to control Cubase and my guitar amp into the audio. Never saw anything like it! You defantely got good praise for OP that day! ;)
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

Return to Bug Reports