Do You Believe In Writing Track Without Subsequent Mixing

Talk about music in general, share some inspiration or promote your music - anything goes.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Do You Believe In Writing Track Without Subsequent Mixing

Postby milona » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:17 pm

Hi creative community!
Creating music, from the beginning I tried to select the sounds that are in harmony with each-other (complement each other). And when the track is written, I can hear all parties, and it sounds fine. And that's when I start all still a bit to adjust an (habit) (cut low and high frequency, add effects, etc.), I think that the track begins to fall apart, it is a thin (lost power), in general as if I damage ... So I think that if I spend so much time on the painstaking selection of sounds, why me then that - then adjust an? Can anyone is in the same situation? Tell us what you do in this case. May in such cases there is a minimum set of parameters. Share. In other words, do you believe in writing the track without subsequent mixing (well, maybe only a minimum)?
Thank you.
milona
Novice

Re: Do You Believe In Writing Track Without Subsequent Mixin

Postby Christophe » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:21 pm

yes, i understand you, the most important thing is that the music you create is satisfying you independently with what you are listening : headphone, stereo hifi, club pa, car monitor.
Don't forget that the theory of mixing came from a time where there was no synth, so it was very important to mix correctly a singer track and to cut those huge guitars :lol:
On the contrary, if you are composing ambient music, you certainly mix during your arrangement phase in order to obtain the perfect layers of sound you are looking for ...
Yamaha CS-30, Roland SH-1, Roland MKS70, Focusrite Scarlett 18i6, Yamaha FS1R, Oberheim Matrix 1000, Novation Remote 37SL, Korg Legacy, Alesis M1Active 520, Novation Launchpad Pro, Push2, Intel i7-7700HQ
Christophe

Re: Do You Believe In Writing Track Without Subsequent Mixin

Postby shortyedwards » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:57 pm

I speak from mild experience, but mostly theory from reading alot of other's thoughts on this.

Mixing is one thing, adding eq and effects is another. In the old days the effects were mostly the room sound. (Big studio, big room, live venue.) So in the early days of recording they were just setting levels and making sure the things they wanted to be "out front" in the mix or to the listener were indeed out in front.

Many people begin their mixing process by eq'ing all over the place (myself included at times). From what I've heard, it is very often way overdone and can very much rob a track or mix of it's cohesion. Eq sparingly, use effects sparingly (if justified) and try to just set balance levels first.

So...
1) record/track well. Don't come from the attitude that you can fix it later.
2) mix and balance
3) eq if you feel it's necessary
4) add effects if you feel it's necessary.

These are things that I don't often think about enough. I think your process of trying to get the instruments sounds selected to fit right together is essentially the same thing I'm talking about. Maybe you just need more skills in the process after that, like me. Just my thoughts.... All the best.
-kinkujin
shortyedwards
Novice

Return to Music & Stuff