Piracy

Talk about music in general, share some inspiration or promote your music - anything goes.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Piracy

Postby Dungeon Studio » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:52 pm

Okay, now here comes the food for thought... What about 'promotion'?

Someone 'steals' something - a football, Orion, etc. But wins the big game, makes a hit song with it. And out of their surprise a overpriced piece of pigskin, or a underpriced music suite thought to be 'less than par' does a superior job. And thanks and praise goes to 'Synapse's Orion Platinum' or 'Big Jim's Sport Store' at the grammy's or the big college finals. And this person goes and buys a legit copy of Orion and 3 Spalding footballs afterwards... Still a 'thief' at the onset, but any type of redemption? :confused: Even if Rich figured out 'This guy praised Orion at the music awards, and sales shot up afterwards... But then comes here to buy Orion after the show?' Would Rich be as likely to give him that 'drive eXtermitor' version? Return the trophy and disgrace the campus because the winning touch down was made with ill gotten pigskin?

As far fetched and fanciful as these scenarios are - their probability is more realistic today than 20 years ago sadly. Regardless of education, talent, and connections... More big stars do more worse things today. Ala OJ Simpson did more for Ford than a 10 million dollar ad campaign, and Winona Ryder put Gucci and Cartier and whatever into the minds of many... To buy, or to steal.
Say what you will about advertisers. You get a theif giving you product recognition - that can be better than winning a lottery, or a federal bailout. ;)
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

Piracy

Postby this instrument » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:17 pm

Willabong wrote:They are black and white, and there is no difference....Only in your mind set.....NOT the LAWS!

I'm pretty sure I mentioned personal perception, which you clumsily reinforced with your 'mind set' comment.

If you think that turnips taste like shit, that doesn't mean turnips are made of feces.
this instrument
Regular

Piracy

Postby Richard » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:34 pm

Dungeon Studio wrote:Someone 'steals' something - a football, Orion, etc. But wins the big game, makes a hit song with it. And out of their surprise a overpriced piece of pigskin, or a underpriced music suite thought to be 'less than par' does a superior job. And thanks and praise goes to 'Synapse's Orion Platinum' or 'Big Jim's Sport Store' at the grammy's or the big college finals. And this person goes and buys a legit copy of Orion and 3 Spalding footballs afterwards... Still a 'thief' at the onset, but any type of redemption? :confused: Even if Rich figured out 'This guy praised Orion at the music awards, and sales shot up afterwards... But then comes here to buy Orion after the show?'

Orion is on the market since almost 10 years now. Waiting for this imaginary scenario to ever happen is like waiting to win big in the lottery.

That's why the lottery is also called the "idiot tax" over here :biglol:
Richard
Synapse Audio

Piracy

Postby Mark » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:45 pm

It's called the "poor tax" here.
Mark

Piracy

Postby DaZoid » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:46 pm

Richard wrote:
That's why the lottery is also called the "idiot tax" over here :biglol:

Hahaha... I have to admit, I'm an idiot from time to time. :biglol:
DaZoid
Guru

Piracy

Postby Dungeon Studio » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:44 pm

I hear you Rich! Over here we call it 'taxes for people who suck at math'. :lmao:

But does cause one to think a little different for a moment. And I'm sure Orion's gotta be there with Moby, or Britney's producers, or Kraftwerk or Dr. Dre... Not that they all 'stole theres' either. ;) It's just too bad to not see 'Synapse' on stage or video like you yould 'Korg' or 'Rhodes'. Even though many times it has to be covered up to avoid 'endorsements and plugs'... But we know. And I guess that's why Moby and Kraftwerk and all can't come out either and say 'Orion is the greatest! Everyone should own one!' Then they'd have Cubase and Ableton and Reason and all badgering them. But to me it should be like gutars - we all know Eric Clapton plays a Fender Stratocaster as his main axe, and Jimmy Page a Gibson Les Paul as his... It'd be nice for some big time player/producer to just always be seen with Orion on the screen on the stage or studio. Kinda hard to cover up a screen when you're performing... And we'd know. ;)

Next Month In CM - Trent Reznor talks how Microsoft shaped his new album with Songsmith. 'It was just given to me for free. And the things just amazing. Thanks Bill!' - Trent Reznor. :superlol:
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

Piracy

Postby Willabong » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:17 pm

That is true Cricket bones, I was agreeing with you, that is why I mentioned mind set.....But shit is shit, and you would still spit it out in disgust!
Last edited by Willabong on Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vaz,PolyAna,Knagalis,Sytrus,Wusik4,Golden Asset,
Jamstix2,M42,FireBird.FMHeaven,HarpTime,Rhino2.
Willabong
Professional

Piracy

Postby this instrument » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:04 am

I spit it out with biological necessity.
this instrument
Regular

Piracy

Postby Klemperer » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:11 pm

Aah, that thread makes me feel like a saint (blurb, bla:D). I played with Orion 4.0 demo for a week, never had had half as much fun with a host, wrote to Wuppertal without knowing it (I thought Orion was based in the USA, he he) and was the happy owner. After doing this with all vstis I bought you end up being called "Gutmensch", which means something like "okay not sending him into jail, but at least fart in his direction once every hour" :D.
Personally I think the guys over at gmedia (now gforce) put it right - some "longer testing" is nothing they recommend, but it still can be good for the business, if it is most expensive software. A student has to save a lot to buy Reaktor, for example. They, like Synapse audio, go on with the most userfriendly copy-protection ever, and what I read sounds like "the poorest of the poor might use our stuff as long as they are REALLY poor" (see below), and pay as soon as they get the first bit of money. Kind of.

Otherwise I can just backup Bones' story here - I know a rich film student who even calls himself "anti-german communist" (this is just bloated nonsense of some fashion scenes here, in reality they are rich and fly every 3rd weekend to Mallorca to have the 26th holiday in a year). He uses only stolen software, and the best one for his films. He often came to me and said I was crazy to BUY all that stuff, not even making money with music. No denying, it's the general rule, and it sometimes gets philosophical blurb too like in Germany from the "Zuendfunk" of the bavarian radio. They call it "postmodernitiy and inauthenticity" - meaning loosely after some ridiculous Foucault- or Deleuze- quotes that everyone could steal everything (but you CAN get into trouble if you quote their radio show in a blog, he he he he :D).

Apart from that - Urs from u-he has something that sounds a bit like what Rich had in old Orion versions - Zebra2 shrinks away before your eyes he wrote at KVR if you open a cracked copy. That would be a great thing, nobody could really think about it being a bug^^ - and we would have our lovely userfriendly serial-protected Orion for as long as new versions will come out.

Concerning Moby - he praises Cubase to everyone not up the tree at three, as I read very often. He really loves it, it seems. I doubt if that leads to more SOLD copies of Cubase. I often heard people say after they heard him - hey I gotta get a copy. It's just something that really changed, and as everyone answers such a sentence with "oooh the old times were-a better, wot?" it gets drowned that - in this respect, yes, less people did steal. The first hackers, a Heidelberg student told me (he had all cracked versions of whatnot from Radium and Oxygen others) really did it to prove you could hack, or out of some idea to do "something good for the masses". As far as I know they even were after people who tried to sell their stuff...

It's really like Dungeon Studio says concerning guitars - my Greg Bennett ones sound great, just like Yamaha Pacificas or others - still people show Fender Gibson and Ibanez only. So the way out would be someone of us gets famous and shouts out ORION! or GREG BENNETT SAMICK GUITARS!! Errm....:D
Klemperer
Novice

Piracy

Postby this instrument » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:46 pm

Moby was probably paid to praise Cubase. He could likely make another album full of gospel samples with garageband, then license every single track (like the last one) so he can afford to build another tofu veggie tea palace in New York City.
this instrument
Regular

Piracy

Postby Mark » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:08 pm

And probably got Cubase for free. And there-in lies an idea. If Rich was to send free copies to established artists, who knows some of them might take it up and start blabbing on about Orion in Future Music/Computer Music etc.
Mark

Piracy

Postby this instrument » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:18 pm

markholtuk wrote:And probably got Cubase for free. And there-in lies an idea. If Rich was to send free copies to established artists, who knows some of them might take it up and start blabbing on about Orion in Future Music/Computer Music etc.

Yeah...I wanna get sponsored and shit so that I can _become_ established. Sounds like a plan.
this instrument
Regular

Piracy

Postby Mark » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:44 pm

Just give me an 80 % cut of whatever you make alright?
Mark

Piracy

Postby this instrument » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:48 pm

You'll be able to buy penny candy after a couple of years.
this instrument
Regular

Piracy

Postby Richard » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:42 pm

Moby is the classic audiomidi guy who hardly ever uses plugins or virtual instruments. Even Garageband has way more features than he ever needs :biglol:
Richard
Synapse Audio

PreviousNext

Return to Music & Stuff