Wine

Talk about music in general, share some inspiration or promote your music - anything goes.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Wine

Postby Icaro » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:46 pm

Does Orion run at all with wine?

I saw some posts about it before, but they didn't seem to reveal a final outcome. I installed Ubuntu Studio 64 (mostly because I need some video editing capability, and wanted to combine the install with music apps, etc.), and was thinking that if Orion works ok with wine, I would try Orion 64, just to test it out.

Is anyone actually working with Linux + Orion with any success?
Icaro
Professional

Wine

Postby suneel » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:20 pm

i am running a fedora 64 for my work related activities. but its just that i dont use it for anything other than work. i guess if you have asio driver working perhaps it may be optimal. otherwise its obvious there will be a latency due to abstraction. if you have time on your hands, you should definitely check it out and let us know, all the best!
suneel
Guru

Wine

Postby ambe » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:55 pm

I tried it a few years ago with Ubuntu and it wasn't very usable. There was no support for ASIO in wine so had to use WDM, even then the audio was crackly and there was quite a delay with the GUI (mixer sliders and knobs not smooth to adjust). Of course it could all be working now, but I gave up on Linux as there is little support for audio apps I use and it is still not user friendly (it is still ridiculously complicated the way Linux installs and configuration work, and not user friendly at all).
ambe
Regular

Wine

Postby Reny » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:53 am

Yes, i love wine, especially white. :)
Keith Murray, Da Muzicianz, Ying Yang Twins, Big Omeezy Beat Maker.
Reny
Regular

Wine

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:09 am

Red for me, please :hihi:
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Wine

Postby Jouni » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:45 am

Afaik it should work we have few users using or atleast tried Orion with Wine. There was some problems with DX plugins though. Can't remember now if there was some tricks to get Orion work.
Jouni
Godlike

Wine

Postby Icaro » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:46 am

ambe wrote:I tried it a few years ago with Ubuntu and it wasn't very usable. There was no support for ASIO in wine so had to use WDM, even then the audio was crackly and there was quite a delay with the GUI (mixer sliders and knobs not smooth to adjust). Of course it could all be working now, but I gave up on Linux as there is little support for audio apps I use and it is still not user friendly (it is still ridiculously complicated the way Linux installs and configuration work, and not user friendly at all).

well, there's this now:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/wineasio

I'm going to give it a try a little later today, and if I have good results, I'll post back. However, I'm not at all familiar with the Ubuntu Studio interface, so it might take a few minutes to learn how to connect everything through 'jack'.

If anyone else reads this, who's tried it recently, I'd be interested to read about your experiences.
Icaro
Professional

Wine

Postby Marcin » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:12 pm

This wineasio can be problematic, becouse it is designed to work with Jack and Orion doesn't work good with Jack output used on wine.
Marcin
Synapse Audio

Return to Music & Stuff