Midwife - A souped up MIDI Out module!

Talk about music in general, share some inspiration or promote your music - anything goes.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Re: Midwife - A souped up MIDI Out module!

Postby Mark » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:40 pm

ThehakkeMadman wrote:
Mark wrote:As long as you don't change your MIDI set up then your MIDI out setting should be recalled correctly. This is based on how Windows reports the connected MIDI devices and is similar to how DAWs do it AFAIU. I'm trying to find a way that takes the name of the device and stores it so that it can be used as a search term for future use. Don't expect that to happen any time soon though :(

Ok this is not that important, so don´t worry about it.
I think 12 CCs and 12 NRPNs will do fine. I wasn´t interested much in NRPN because there was a life BEFORE Midwife ;) and now I just found out that the little Korg Electribe (I own the EA-1 and the ES-1) can be controlled via NRPN. But when I want to handle more than one control (like Cutoff and Reso) it behaves like usind Midwife in MIDI CC modus: Cutoff works but jumps back to its original value when changing another NRPN. Is there any solution for this? (must be a n00b question, so sorry for that)
As long as Midwifes knobs are compatible with the event editor, I am satisfied :)

Not sure what you mean with NRPNs, sorry. If you mean using Midwife to control them then it's not possible with the current release, but it is with the one that I'm looking at right now :D
Mark

Postby chrisqhq » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:15 pm

Mark wrote:Hi chrishq,
I've not had any crashes here, can you elaborate a bit more, please? Also, to get the visual feedback, knob assignments will only work in VST mode rather than CC mode. You can change that in generator settings.

Thanks for testing btw, and glad you find it useful 8)

:dance:
VST mode is the solution for both problems. In CC mode it crashes as soon as I touch a control in the record mode.
VST mode works without problems!
:mrgreen:
http://soundcloud.com/chris-qhq/moonshine

Orion 8.5, ESI ESU 1808, Waldorf Blofeld, Virus Classic Rack, DSI Evolver, Waldorf Micro Q, Roland MKS 50, Yamaha DX 100, Roland U220
chrisqhq
Novice

Postby Mark » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:45 pm

Excellent that it's working for you in VST mode. I can confirm the CC mode problem. I can't for the life of me see why it is doing that though.
Mark

Postby chrisqhq » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:36 pm

Yes, it works for me and I love it!
The only problem is that when I save a song or template with this setting it is lost when I restart Orion and load the file.
All midiwife instances switch back to CC mode and I have to do it again to avoid crashes.
With other VSTs it seems to work.
Do you have the same behaviour in your system?

Orion 8.5, ESI ESU 1808, Waldorf Blofeld, Virus Classic Rack, DSI Evolver, Waldorf Micro Q, Roland MKS 50, Yamaha DX 100, Roland U220
chrisqhq
Novice

Postby Mark » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:15 am

It does and I think I know why, so a fix for that should be forthcoming before I go on holiday on Friday.
Mark

Postby Kriminal » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:04 pm

link is dead now, just when i wanted to try it :lol:

do you do requests? i want a specific set of params...i could make the GUI and you can code it in SM... ???
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Mark » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:10 pm

Links should be working, unless the website is down for maintenance. PM or email me for the request.
Mark

Postby Kriminal » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:16 pm

I just tried link on page 1, assumed it was live. pm coming
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Mark » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:21 pm

Try the link on page 4 of this thread.
Mark

Postby chrisqhq » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:53 pm

Hi Mark,

did you find a solution for the problem that Midiwife always switches back to CC mode?
I'm using it still heavily but from time to time I have painful crashes of Orion because Midiwife can't save the automation mode. :(

chrisqhq
Novice

Postby Mark » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:34 pm

I haven't been able to fix the mode switching unfortunately. I do have a couple of ideas that I'll test when I have time and see if any of those work. If not, I need to talk to Rich about this, because it's clearly not a problem with other VSTi's.

I'm a bit busy atm with other projects that I'm a long way behind on (sorry Kriminal), but don't worry, it's something I'll certainly try to get sorted. It's important to me too :)
Mark

Postby Kriminal » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:26 pm

Mark wrote:I'm a bit busy atm with other projects that I'm a long way behind on (sorry Kriminal)

:dance: :dance: :dance:
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby ThehakkeMadman » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:30 pm

I´ll take the chance now to announce another "bug". Midwife isn´t sending MIDI time clock to my hardware. Another little thing is that Midwife works fine so far, but it get´s difficult if there´s a Midiout module. Let´s say, the Midiout has been routed to Port 4 and Midwife has no access to port 4, of course. But if I choose another port, it is still "in use". Even if I delete the Midiout, the port is used. Hopefully I´ll never accidently generate a Midiout module that will block my whole project.
It seems to be deep in Orion, because I tested this out within new songs. How can a Midiout generator use a midiport after it has been deleted and the PC is restarted?
Maybe the reason for this is the same reason for the "MIDI CC mode switching bug"?
"I need more details."
ThehakkeMadman
Regular

Postby Mark » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:58 pm

MTC isn't implemented as yet, but it is something that has been on my mind. Basically, Midwife is bypassing Orion's MIDI system and sending directly out without communicating with Orion - of course that's why you can't use the internal MIDI out generator on the same port. I think you should be able to receive MIDI from the internal generator to Midwife to effect the same, although I don't see why you would want to do that, unless it is to route MTC from Orion? Hmm, I should test that :)

AFAIU, the MIDI protocol is basically a serial protocol that requires explicit closing of the serial pipe if it is to be used by something else. I think that only happens when Orion is shut down and is not exclusive to Orion btw. Maybe Rich can say something about that if he's following this thread!

I think the MIDI CC mode switching bug will be fixed by putting some dummy audio outs on to the plug in.
Mark

Postby Kriminal » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:54 pm

after inserting Midwife, i try to select my soundcard as midi out and get this msg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kriminal
Immortal

PreviousNext

Return to Music & Stuff