Anybody use Orion Via TouchDAW

Share your technical insight with beginners in this area, or pick up techniques and tricks-of-the-trade posted by seasoned Orion users.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Anybody use Orion Via TouchDAW

Postby badshah » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:20 am

badshah
Regular

Re: Anybody use Orion Via TouchDAW

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:58 am

Seriously, you won't get any help without providing any additional information. What's your phone/tablet? OS? Windows?

I tried TouchDAW, it didn't work for me, but I managed to get TouchOSC working, which I still use now and then.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby badshah » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:21 am

Sorry. Actauly I have a Andoroid Tablet(HCL). i have download rtpMIDI_1_0_11_227. But i can't understand how to connect or which step must flow step by step????
Plzz help me...
TouchOSC is working in Orion???? How to setup?????
badshah
Regular

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:05 pm

Like I said, TouchDAW didn't work for me with rtpMIDI, so I went the other route with PureData Extended and TouchOSC Bridge (you can click on both to go to the page where you can download those. Download for your OS; Windows, Mac, Linux... whatever you have. And just to note, don't be alarmed if you have a 64-bit OS and these are 32-bit, they work). Personally, I grabbed the 0.43.4 beta version of PD-Extended, it sort of works better for me, but if you don't like beta version, just grab 0.42.5 version. And of course, you need TouchOSC for your tablet from Google Play.

So, once you get all that you need, install them all.
One requirement is that you have an active and properly set wireless network, so that all your devices (your computer and tablet) are on the same network. I really can't explain how to set that up, since that might require setting up the wireless router, for which I don't have any information what your network is like and how it operates. So, you'll have to figure that one out on your own. But it's very important. Just to note that using a wireless access point hooked to a cable modem doesn't work. It still needs a router with its own DHCP.

TouchOSC Bridge:
There's nothing to configure there. It's that simple.

TouchOSC:
All you basically need is to put an IP address for the device where the Bridge is installed, which would be your computer.So, on your computer do this: Start -> Run -> CMD -> OK
Once you got the prompt open, type in ipconfig and hit enter. You will see a list of your network parameters for your computer. Look for IPv4 Address, should list something like 192.168.xxx.xxx, where xxx are also numbers.
So, you just need to put that in TouchOSC on your tablet. When you run it on your tablet, go to "MIDI Bridge" and type in that IP address you've found on your computer. You're done here.

PureData Extended:
Ok, for this you will need to know the IP address of your tablet.
On your tablet, go to "Settings -> Wi-Fi" and find the network you're connected to and when you click it, it will show you on the bottom the device's IP address. I'm on ICS 4.0.4, so the way to get to that on yours might be different, but just find the WiFi network you're connected to and read the address. Write it down somewhere, or copy/paste it into notepad.

Now, download this file from the attachment:
!TouchOSC.zip
Unpack it and place the .pd file into your PureData, or anywhere where you can find it easily.
Run PD and open that file.

Once you have it opened, on that second window that opens, go to "Edit -> Edit Mode" or just press Alt+CTRL+E.
Now click on the thingy that says "connect 192.168.0.181 9000" to edit. You just need to replace the address (192.168.0.181) with the second IP address you got from your tablet. Leave "connect" and number 9000 there, don't touch those. Exit the Edit Mode the same way you entered it, and with TouchOSC running on your tablet, and Bridge running on your computer, click that box that says "connect <your new IP Address> 9000". The first PD window should read something like "sendOSC: connected to port 192.168.0.181:9000 (hSock=36039144) protocol = UDP". If you got that, then you did good. If not, you did something wrong. Just to make sure, on your tablet, select the Mix2 layout, and then on PD-E click box that says "send /1/fader1 1". You should see a slider move on your tablet. That means everything is ok with that. And now...

ORION:
Go to Options -> MIDI In Settings, and from the list select "TouchOSC Bridge", and you're done.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby xtagon » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:25 pm

I've gotten TouchOSC (but not TouchDAW) working through rtpMidi but I can't for the life of me remember how I did it. It was a PITA.

I'll try again with PD and TouchOSC Bridge.

It's super fun to play with two X/Y pads on the tablet, especially with synths like Dune where there are all sorts of cool modulations you can do.
xtagon
Novice

Postby bones » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:26 am

The info on that link seems to require a Mackie mixer to do anything. Do you have a Mackie mixer? WHy would you bother with it?
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Return to Tips'n'tricks