DUNE sound design question

Share your technical insight with beginners in this area, or pick up techniques and tricks-of-the-trade posted by seasoned Orion users.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

DUNE sound design question

Postby davidb63 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:24 am

Hello, I'm still learning my way around DUNE trying to make a patch where I have OSC1 being effected by the filter section which is being modulated by LFO1. I was hoping to have OCS2 not be effected by the filter. I tried assigning the LFO to the filter cutoff per voice in the matrix based on multiple voices in the unison section, but wasn't able to isolate OSC1 from OSC2 this way. Any Tips on this? TIA.
davidb63
Novice

Re: DUNE sound design question

Postby badshah » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:48 am

A long times, I am waiting a official Vedio tutorial of Dune for Electro House and Trance But i can't ??????
badshah
Regular

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:06 am

davidb63 wrote:Hello, I'm still learning my way around DUNE trying to make a patch where I have OSC1 being effected by the filter section which is being modulated by LFO1. I was hoping to have OCS2 not be effected by the filter. I tried assigning the LFO to the filter cutoff per voice in the matrix based on multiple voices in the unison section, but wasn't able to isolate OSC1 from OSC2 this way. Any Tips on this? TIA.

From my understanding, you're out of luck about that. DUNE doesn't really allow that kind of a separation because of its structure, as explained in the manual (figure 3.1, page 10).

Each oscillator can have a certain set of voices, and because DUNE is designed to fire all voices simultaneously per note, you're basically feeding them all to the filter.

My understanding of the ModMatrix is really basic, so perhaps someone with more understanding about source/destination/voices routing could explain. This is just my understanding of the structure.

badshah wrote:A long times, I am waiting a official Vedio tutorial of Dune for Electro House and Trance But i can't ??????

Official? I have a feeling you will be waiting for a looooong time more.

All of the basic controls (those that you can see on the GUI) on DUNE are pretty much standard like in any other synth, except for the voices, ARP and ModMatrix sections, and you don't really need video tutorials for that, especially for a specific genre.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby Teksonik » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:02 pm

davidb63 wrote:Hello, I'm still learning my way around DUNE trying to make a patch where I have OSC1 being effected by the filter section which is being modulated by LFO1. I was hoping to have OCS2 not be effected by the filter. I tried assigning the LFO to the filter cutoff per voice in the matrix based on multiple voices in the unison section, but wasn't able to isolate OSC1 from OSC2 this way. Any Tips on this? TIA.

Try this:

You can split the Osc's by using Const-Osc Mix. :)

Here's an example patch:

Dune Split Osc

-----
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby davidb63 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:10 pm

Awesome. Thanks for the info!

Tried those setting and they worked as described. Thanks again. :dance:
davidb63
Novice

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:30 pm

Teksonik wrote:You can split the Osc's by using Const-Osc Mix. :)

Cool. Thanks for the lesson Tek, didn't think of that :D
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby Teksonik » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:43 pm

Actually I think it was Kriminal who helped me work this out some time ago so thanks to him.....at any rate cool feature of DUNE and opens up a lot of possibilities..... :)
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:17 am

Than, a "thank you" to Krim as well :D

I really don't know much about MM stuff, I know the easier stuff, like LFO controlling filter - that's pretty much it. But stuff about the voices? Nope :lol: My previous comment was based on looking at the manual and DUNE's structure paths, it didn't seem from it like it's possible. And I couldn't really try it, because I'm re-installing my whole system again due to the PSU failure (which is still sort of an ongoing thing because of a temp PS unit I borrowed untill shops open again around 8th) and don't even have Orion installed yet. So, this was a nice "one more thing to know" lesson :D
Thanks.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby cr7skills11 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:57 am

teksonic any chance you can repost that example patch the link is broken, please and thank you.
cr7skills11
Novice

Postby Teksonik » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:06 am

That was two and a half years ago. I've since deleted the files and doubt that I kept any backups. :?

Wait that was a DUNE 1 patch. Unless you bought Dune 1 it wouldn't do you any good. Besides this technique is no longer needed in DUNE 2.
Teksonik
Godlike

Return to Tips'n'tricks