Help & advice please to Pre-master on Orion 7.62v

Share your technical insight with beginners in this area, or pick up techniques and tricks-of-the-trade posted by seasoned Orion users.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Help & advice please to Pre-master on Orion 7.62v

Postby Blu inc » Thu May 01, 2014 10:05 am

Hi guys,

Please can anyone give me advice/tips on premastering my track in Orion v7.62 & tech info regarding Orion, on premastering my track using tools/controls within Orion v7.62, please.

Thanx in advance .
RM
Blu inc
Novice

Re: Help & advice please to Pre-master on Orion 7.62v

Postby DaZoid » Thu May 01, 2014 10:45 am

Hi,

What exactly do you mean? I mean, premastering? Do you talk about getting the right mix (be)fore mastering?

;
DaZoid
Guru

Postby Blu inc » Thu May 01, 2014 11:20 am

Hi,

Yea I need to get my mix down right, before I get it mastered professionally ..
The mix I did I'm told by the engineer, needs to be adjusted..
Blu inc
Novice

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Thu May 01, 2014 11:55 am

I think it's pretty safe to presume that he should be the one to tell you what he meant by "needs to be adjusted". He should've told you the requirements he has for the file that you're sending to him for mastering: -4 to -6 dB peak, 44.1/48kHz, 24/32-bit, naming, etc. Now, if he really meant that your mix is not sufficiently good to be mastered, then you need to adjust the mix - in which case, basically none of us here can help without hearing it first.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby junebug » Thu May 01, 2014 4:08 pm

agreed - if you are looking for advice/mixing tips then you would need to post the track as you have it now so we can listen.

cheers!
JUNEBUG
http://www.Electronisounds.com (my samples and loops website)
http://www.PrizmPrime.com (my original music)
https://pro.beatport.com/artist/prizm-prime/389343 (my tracks on BEATPORT)
junebug
Regular

Postby Blu inc » Thu May 01, 2014 5:50 pm

Hi,

It's...
https://soundcloud.com/blu-inc/strongerunisigned

The engineer gave me 2 YouTube links which give u a break down of what's needed.
In these vids part of the help info advises u to..
1)set the master fader to 0db
2)set the peak level indicator to between -6 & -3db( via reducing the tracks(channels) volumes by selecting all the channels together & reduce as one, as to not effect the overall balance , well I think that's it

The two links I got are below..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffPKfMjVaTA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDBzZ7oNGC0

Thanx everyone who is trying to help me , I appreciate it..
Blu inc
Novice

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Thu May 01, 2014 11:34 pm

Ok, so guidance from the videos, here's what you need to do, in a nutshell:

1. Make sure your mix is sounding as best as possible first. Make it sounding clean and with as much dynamics as possible (by using less compression). For making it sound clean, cleaning the bass part of the frequency spectrum should help with that - use high pass / low cut filters to cut bass from anything that doesn't need it (like everything except for kick and bass). Use EQ on channels as well.

2. Disable all processing effects on the master channel, most importantly dynamic processors (compressors, limiters, expanders). If you have spatial processors on the master (like a reverb or delay) that is an integral part of your song, render two versions - with and without them, and label them properly. Alternatively, you can render a 3rd take with compressors/limiters as well and send those for reference.

3. Leave some room at the beginning and end of the song. One video suggest 2-8 bars. I'd say 4 sounds ok. In case you have long tail at the end (like a from a reverb), make sure you leave room after it's gone.

4. Set your master fader so that audio peaks around -6dB. Just in case, as a guideline, don't let it peak over -4. Don't worry about setting the fader to 0 dB, it's irrelevant. Just use it and set your song level. You can also render at lower level and then just edit volume in audio editor to keep the proper peaks. Never render peaking around 0dB - less is more.

5. Render/stream at 44.1kHz (you can use 48 as well, up to you), and 24-bit WAV file. That should be enough.

6. Listen to your mixdown to make sure everything rendered as it should. Make sure it doesn't have any noise, pops and clicks.

7. If you're doing post-render editing in an audio editor: DO NOT normalize or apply dithering.

8. Communicate with engineers: mention what you want the mastering to achieve to your song, or if you have a song you want your song to sound like. That should greatly help them with decisions about mastering methods.

Now, just to clarify something about point 4. Both videos mentions to set master fader at 0dB and lower channels instead. The guy in the first video explained that because of the floating point errors.
It is actually more work to drop each track and deal with possible volume balancing issues (basically doing the mix all over again, since Orion can't drop all faders at the same time AND keep the balance between them), than to drop just one fader. Orion can already mix channels with 64-bit accuracy (double-precision by IEEE standard), so introducing calculation errors due to floating point rounding is reduced. Personally, I've never observed (or heard) anything that would affect the mixdown by dropping the master fader.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby kmatm » Fri May 02, 2014 2:22 am

I just sent 5 tracks off to be mastered prior to being released on an EP. I used the master fader to set the level (-6 in this case) rather than the mixer faders.

The guy doing the mastering said it was one of the easiest mastering jobs he'd done.
kmatm
Apprentice

Postby Blu inc » Mon May 05, 2014 4:57 pm

Thanx guys ..
Much appreciated ..
Blu inc
Novice

Return to Tips'n'tricks