Orion 're-wire' with Reastream

Share your technical insight with beginners in this area, or pick up techniques and tricks-of-the-trade posted by seasoned Orion users.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Orion 're-wire' with Reastream

Postby Cirque » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:46 pm

I wanted to continue to use Orion 'live' with a new DAW (in this case, Mulab) as I love the internal generators (and also microtuning Dune 1), sequencing and don't want to give it up (until at least Windows no longer supports it :(

So I kind of 're-wired' it using the free Cockos plugin - Reastream (part of the Reaplugs bundle). Midi goes out from Mulab into Orion using a virtual Loopmidi port (another freebie, 64bit only I think)

The live audio stream comes back in to Mulab via Reastream to be recorded or whatever.

It's a bit fiddly, as I had to set Orion to use a different soundcard (e.g. internal computer speakers) and mute it. But it's stable with little latency and integrates well into the new DAW without need for exporting audio.

Anyone else doing something like this? I guess it's like Rewire, but a bit fiddlier.

I guess it would work in other DAWS too. I don't know if you can 'sync' the DAWs though, that would be great.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cirque
Novice

Return to Tips'n'tricks