Keyboard splits?

Share your technical insight with beginners in this area, or pick up techniques and tricks-of-the-trade posted by seasoned Orion users.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Keyboard splits?

Postby Troy1969 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:32 pm

Hi I'm wondering if its possible to assign different patches to different sections of the keyboard. Like strings/piano etc... I didn't see anything about it in the manual.
Troy1969
Novice

Re: Keyboard splits?

Postby Teksonik » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:37 pm

No unfortunately it's not possible. The feature to assign key range to voices has been asked for in the past but I believe the explanation was there is something in the Unison Engine architecture that prohibits this feature from being added. I've tried Key Tracking to Layer Volume but it doesn't really work for true splits........... :?
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Troy1969 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:46 pm

Okay, thanks for the reply. Maybe a third party plugin to limit keyrange, then another instance of Dune 2 and same plugin on a separate channel in the DAW?

Ill have to research that... Im just looking for a way to trigger different sounds on different keys for performance purposes.

I guess I could create recorded samples and assign them to my pads...?
Troy1969
Novice

Postby Mark » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:59 pm

Troy1969 wrote:Okay, thanks for the reply. Maybe a third party plugin to limit keyrange, then another instance of Dune 2 and same plugin on a separate channel in the DAW?

Ill have to research that... Im just looking for a way to trigger different sounds on different keys for performance purposes.

I guess I could create recorded samples and assign them to my pads...?

It should be possible to do within your DAW without the need for a plugin, although you will need two instances of DUNE2. Orion does it, so I presume most other DAWs do as well.
Mark

Postby Troy1969 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:44 pm

Okay thanks for the tip. Speaking of Orion, how do I get it?
Troy1969
Novice

Postby Teksonik » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:21 pm

I'm afraid Orion has been discontinued. :?

Anyway as I pointed out when key splits were first requested, D-16's luSH101 allows all 8 of it's layers to have an independent key range and even has a range learn function. You can have Arps, Mono and Poly Parts and Layers all at the same time.

So because DUNE 2's 8 voices aren't really fully independent the same functionality is not possible. It's a shame because 8 fully independent layers would allow for Per Voice Arps/Seqs, Key Splits, etc.....and no, loading up several instances is not as efficient as having everything stored in a single patch in a single instance ( to fend off the inevitable "just load more instances" response)....... :wink:
Teksonik
Godlike

Return to Tips'n'tricks