Changing presets..

Share your technical insight with beginners in this area, or pick up techniques and tricks-of-the-trade posted by seasoned Orion users.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Changing presets..

Postby emmapeel » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:33 pm

Hi to everybody... I'm new to Orion.
Just a little question: can i assign different presets to different patterns?
Eg.: Brass with A1, Violin with A2...
Thanks in advance.

Marco
emmapeel
Novice

Changing presets..

Postby Kriminal » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:38 pm

no
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Changing presets..

Postby emmapeel » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:47 pm

good...
Six patterns, six presets, six generators...
Very useful...

thanks marco
emmapeel
Novice

Changing presets..

Postby Lance » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:56 pm

emmapeel wrote:good...
Six patterns, six presets, six generators...
Very useful...

thanks marco

Is it sarcasm?

Six mixer channels, six playlist tracks.

You know it makes sense for composig, mixing and arranging.
Lance
Guru

Changing presets..

Postby emmapeel » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:30 pm

Sarcasm? No...
But if i need 3 different sounds (eg.: brass, violin, percussione) i need also 3 different instruments. Not simply one instruments with 3 different preset. Correct? Or am i wrong?

thanks marco
emmapeel
Novice

Changing presets..

Postby JohnDX » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:35 pm

Yes and no. Unless you use events to change from one preset to another (much work unless they're similar).
[Nothing]
JohnDX
Regular

Changing presets..

Postby Mark » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:42 pm

emmapeel wrote:Sarcasm? No...
But if i need 3 different sounds (eg.: brass, violin, percussione) i need also 3 different instruments. Not simply one instruments with 3 different preset. Correct? Or am i wrong?

thanks marco

Not if it's something multitimbral like Sampletank.
Mark

Changing presets..

Postby Richard » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:58 pm

emmapeel wrote:Hi to everybody... I'm new to Orion.
Just a little question: can i assign different presets to different patterns?
Eg.: Brass with A1, Violin with A2...
Thanks in advance.

Marco

Yes, if it's a multitimbral VST instrument, you can choose the MIDI Channel in the piano roll; furthermore, you can create additional tracks in the playlist via right-clicking on its track name.

Using 3 instruments however is a better, faster way of working in most cases. It avoids messy assignments on both Orions and the plugins side. Multitimbral instruments are largely a relict from the (hardware) past.
Richard
Synapse Audio

Changing presets..

Postby Vicious_Angel » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:14 pm

Its better to have 3 players playing 3 instruments than having 1 player playing 3 instruments at a time. He certainly gonna make a lof of mistake.

Same for software :)
Emu1212m | Alesis micron | Edirol pcr500 | FOCAL CMS 50 | Senheiser hd 25-1 II | Core i7 etc
Vicious_Angel
Apprentice

Changing presets..

Postby Dungeon Studio » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:13 pm

Multitimbral I suppose is good if you have a capable synth and want to layer strings and synths and organs all doing the same riffs. But then you're committed to those instruments following everything you play. As irksome as loading 3 Multitimbral synhs are, and copying A1 to Brass, and A1 to Strings per say - it gives you the ability to further work out your sound. Be it transposing the Brass, changing the notes slightly for the strings, altering anothers note durations. As well, you can also add/swap another VSTi that may do better strings or a sound that goes well with.

So it's best to go with a 'basic sound' first, be it a MonoBass riff or PPG melodies. Start building up your song, and then decide 'should horns come in here and do the same thing? Should I add a better bass, or just change it? and so on. ;)

BTW - Krim makes $28.75 an hour as a Synapse Customer Support rep ever since they got the union. :superlol:
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

Changing presets..

Postby Kriminal » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:43 pm

yes
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Changing presets..

Postby emmapeel » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:47 am

Dungeon Studio wrote:Multitimbral I suppose is good if you have a capable synth and want to layer strings and synths and organs all doing the same riffs. But then you're committed to those instruments following everything you play. As irksome as loading 3 Multitimbral synhs are, and copying A1 to Brass, and A1 to Strings per say - it gives you the ability to further work out your sound. Be it transposing the Brass, changing the notes slightly for the strings, altering anothers note durations. As well, you can also add/swap another VSTi that may do better strings or a sound that goes well with.

So it's best to go with a 'basic sound' first, be it a MonoBass riff or PPG melodies. Start building up your song, and then decide 'should horns come in here and do the same thing? Should I add a better bass, or just change it? and so on. ;)

BTW - Krim makes $28.75 an hour as a Synapse Customer Support rep ever since they got the union. :superlol:

You are right, but what about CPU?
Also it's paradoxal that, with tons of banks and presets, i have to reload the same plugin (or another one) just for an another sound...

marco
Last edited by emmapeel on Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
emmapeel
Novice

Changing presets..

Postby Richard » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:57 am

emmapeel wrote:You are right, but what about CPU?

There's no reason for a plugin to use less CPU just because it's one plugin handling several instruments at once.

In fact, the opposite is true, since the host (Orion) can distribute the load much better and more efficiently than a plugin could amongst your processor cores. Almost everybody has at least a dual-core CPU by now. Few plugins support multicore processing, so having two instruments is up to twice as fast!

Multitimbrality is an archaic relict of the hardware past, there's no reason to use it, unless you have to. But I'm open to suggestions improving it, as Orion has all that is needed technically, anyways.

emmapeel wrote:Also it's paradoxal that, with tons of banks and presets, i have to reload the same plugin (or another one) just for an another sound...

Not at all, it's much faster to work on a per-instrument basis, even the big sequencers have finally come to their senses and by default tie a MIDI track to a plugin (or give you the option to do so, at least)
Richard
Synapse Audio

Changing presets..

Postby Lance » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:17 pm

emmapeel wrote:
Dungeon Studio wrote:Multitimbral I suppose is good if you have a capable synth and want to layer strings and synths and organs all doing the same riffs. But then you're committed to those instruments following everything you play. As irksome as loading 3 Multitimbral synhs are, and copying A1 to Brass, and A1 to Strings per say - it gives you the ability to further work out your sound. Be it transposing the Brass, changing the notes slightly for the strings, altering anothers note durations. As well, you can also add/swap another VSTi that may do better strings or a sound that goes well with.

You are right, but what about CPU?
Also it's paradoxal that, with tons of banks and presets, i have to reload the same plugin (or another one) just for an another sound...

marco

Where do you come from? From the multitimbral workstations?

Then think about CPU as polyphony on your workstation. More instruments/presets used, more polyphony used, less are left. In software, more presets used, more CPU used, regardless of it is one instance or several. 1 preset is 1 sound generasting process, 3 presets are 3 sound generating processes, so it will use more CPU.

Anyway how could arrange your patterns if one generator would produce 3 different presets but it has only one mixer channel and one playlist track? What about mixing levels and composing song arrangements efficiently? Or how would add them separate insert effects or different send levels or routing? ...
Last edited by Lance on Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lance
Guru

Changing presets..

Postby DaZoid » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:23 pm

emmapeel wrote:You are right, but what about CPU?

marco

Marco,

using 1 VST or internal generator for different sounds is completely nonsense.

Did you ever think about the fact that each sound (instrument) has it's very own settings. EQ, volume, effects. You simply just can't switch the preset fom synthline to brass e.g. without the need to adjust all the parameters.

Imagine:

1. You have 1 synth. You EQ the synth, you give it the right amount of volume, the right effects.

2. Now at bar # 65, you need a brass sound and switch the preset.

Do you know how much work it is to also switch all the settings now? Every EQ setting, every effect, maybe it's better on a different channel. Compression? Add a compressor on the fly?

It so much so makes no sense...
Last edited by DaZoid on Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaZoid
Guru

Next

Return to Tips'n'tricks