Emu Proteus VX, is it lagging in OP for others?

Share your technical insight with beginners in this area, or pick up techniques and tricks-of-the-trade posted by seasoned Orion users.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Postby Dungeon Studio » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:15 am

I got the whatever 'lite' version of this synth, and it's certainly powerful and really like the drums on it. But if I make a pattern in OP with it - it skips and wobbles. At first I thought it was CPU or this 'twista-rythem' being on. It was okay for some Tom Waits rythems for me, but like to get more tighter. I've fooled with this thing inside out and still can't shake this sloppy playing. But I'm missing the ASIO thing in it's options and a few other things from the 'full version' (Multis and effect B I think?)

Does anyone have the 'full version' in OP, and how is it for them? I'd hate to blow the money to find out I still can't play simple rythems with it reliably.
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

Postby Marcin » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:18 am

DS - In my opinion, E-MU provide one of best midi controllers (keys are almost perfect in touch and playing). But about E-MU Proteus - this application is one of worste applications whole the world.

Yes, it is true that it have few beauty sounds (drums) and some fine possibilities, but it is not equal to usage's quality and feel. It is very slow app and require a lot of memory (too much).

I've installed it and ... no way - Sampler is much better :-)

By the way, Native-Instuments released KorePlayer and KontaktPlayer for free with additional free sound's packages (mailny sound's morphing in KorePlayer - that is great feature!). Please look at it - it works excellent and sounds are great. This is better choice than using Proteus.
Last edited by Marcin on Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marcin
Synapse Audio

Postby Icaro » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:07 am

Proteus is so horribly unstable in Orion it's pathetic. I wrote to EMU, and they gave a very incredibly technical response 'We've never heard of Orion, did you try it in Cubase' and finally another reply which basically said that I shouldn't expect an update anytime soon because Orion is not a program that most people use, and it's unlikely their going to waste their time with it. My EMU soundcard works great, and so does my X-Board, but next time I buy new equipment I'm going a different direction. That's some of the worst customer service I've ever had. :(

I'm sooooo sick of companies playing the hot potato game with each other.

The only 'profi' vsts I've tried that are worse than Proteus, are any of the plugins that MOTU put out. Those just plain suck. Proteus at least has some good sounds, but even those are really not worth the headache.
Last edited by Icaro on Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Icaro
Professional

Postby Marcin » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:07 pm

@Icaro is right.

But Icaro - tell me - do You by hardware becouse hardware or becouse software?

I have E-MU soundcard too - I think it is excellent soundcard in its cost. Same with X-Board. As I said - they have really good hardware, but not software. I bought E-MU becouse hardware and I don't expect good software from them. I have Orion - that's it what I need.
Marcin
Synapse Audio

Postby baroquerion » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:59 pm

Icaro wrote:... they gave a very incredibly technical response 'We've never heard of Orion, did you try it in Cubase' and finally another reply which basically said that I shouldn't expect an update anytime soon because Orion is not a program that most people use...

There it is again! That's annoying me a lot. It's the same with the computer and music magazines. Orion really would be worth of larger and wider promoting.
For example, the huge success of RSN is a total mystery to me. How did they do it?!!! With no audio recording support and no VSTi support...!!?
Maybe it's really the matter of marketing and promoting...
Last edited by baroquerion on Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
baroquerion
Regular

Postby Dungeon Studio » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:43 pm

Ooooh, that's such a shame! As I really love the sounds on this thing, especially the drums and percussion. But at least it's good to know it's not just me then. So best to hold onto my money then, as a 'full version' doesn't offer any better results. :( I can't blame Emu per say, I still think they're solid - I'd blame the clowns at Creative. They seem to have the right ideas, but the worst execution. I like my cheapy Creative USB keyboard, but not one controller wheel on it. Yet, they used to make them with PB and Mod - and gave up as quick as they came out. And this Proteus thing - great sounds, and the demo is sweet to use. But unstable, and even it's keyboard thing doesn't route PB and Mod wheel control to OP's record? A real shame. :(

That's the one thing I don't like about software vs. hardware. In a music store I can fool with a Yamaha, a Korg, a Roland. play and weigh all the options of each. Up until the EX5, most were bang on in their features. Korg had the Korg sound and sequencer, Roland was different, and Yamaha kinda came up the middle. The EX5 was a logistical nightmare, and trying to get Yamaha to fess up and do something about it was worse than pulling teeth on a rabid tiger.
But software - I'm never sure now? There's so many variables - is it the VST, is it my ASIO, is it OP, is it my controller? And then this adage of 'Have you tried it on Cubase?' Even if I did have Cubase, I don't think I could make patterns and control as easily as I can with OP - so what's the point of it being stable on Cubase or anything else?
And the fact Creative/Emu's convinced it's great on Cubase - they're not going to revise this Proteus anytime soon I guess?

Such a shame, I would've gladly paid for a more stable and reliable synth such as this. But thanks guys for the straight up on it. ;)
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

Postby Icaro » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:07 pm

-intro-one- wrote:@Icaro is right.

But Icaro - tell me - do You by hardware becouse hardware or becouse software?

Doesn't matter in this case. My decision not to go the E-MU route in the future, is based on the company's customer service. If the company doesn't handle things properly, then I don't really want to support that company. For example, AKAI has handled all of my questions in regard to the EWI with a lot of care. The same goes for IKMultimedia. Both companies have handled things very professionally. I will for sure consider future business with them.
Last edited by Icaro on Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Icaro
Professional

Postby Dungeon Studio » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:16 pm

It's nice that the VX thing is 'free'. But definately does not make me want to explore Emu any further. One would think they would get that thing stable and working in OP, Reaper, Cakewalk, everything. Some might say 'well then who would buy it and more if it was that good?'

I would, for one. And possibly MORE - like hardware and sound packs. :rage:

Yamaha sucks now, Roland sucks now, music stores suck now. It's rare to find one with something REALLY good, and wants to make it that much better with customer input and competition awareness.
Other than Synapse Audio of course. ;)
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

Postby groovebox » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:58 pm

FWIW - Emu make truly great sound sets - but the Proteus VX is a freebie cause it is prob EOL (end of life). It is hungry but quite good. It is no surprise they don't support OP as they prob only support the "big 3". Their customer support of late has been lack lustre.

It is hard to know what EMU are basing their sales on nowadays. Their modules like the Protues 2000 and Planet Phatt are great.

But - on the other hand - the EMU sounds are truly GREAT - I have got hooked on the sound fonts (www.digitalsoundfactory.com) they make. Altho I am not a OP user (still playing with the demo's) I do want to make sure my EMU soundfonts work with OP before swapping over full time.

In their day EMU were excellent. YMMV.

Respect.
groovebox
Novice

Postby Vicious_Angel » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:41 pm

The problem is in orion.
Orion dont have super behavior with multichannel instruments discused a lot of times in the past from my side for emulator x but...
Proteus is on a slim engine of emulatorX.
Emu1212m | Alesis micron | Edirol pcr500 | FOCAL CMS 50 | Senheiser hd 25-1 II | Core i7 etc
Vicious_Angel
Apprentice

Postby Dungeon Studio » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:18 pm

I know people have complained about OP's interaction with multitimbral VST's. But I don't recall anyone complaining about timing issues before? I could understand if I did 14 channels of stuff in Proteus, and then wanted complex drum patterns on top of it all.
But there shouldn't be a issue with just a simple beat and 1 channel used, should there? Proteus is pretty complex, but it's still just a big rompler in the end.

Between Edirol, Luxonix, and Proteus - I think Proteus should be more streamlined for the likes of OP than vice versa. But maybe things will be better handled in OP8? :confused:
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

Postby Icaro » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:21 pm

timing issues suck with Proteus..... but I've tested it against Cubase, and get similiar issues. Proteus VX vst sounds great, but there's something really funny that happens with timing. I'm not the scientific type of engineer though, I'm more of a mixer, so I can't pinpoint the exact problem.
Icaro
Professional

Postby Vicious_Angel » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:52 pm

I dont mean complex stuff, just a simple sound loaded.
Its like losing its midi sync and playback with it own tempo-groove.
I had complaint in the past for emulatorX because it is unsuable in orion.
Those times orion was my only host. Now i have 2 more and i can use it there so no problem for me :p
Emu1212m | Alesis micron | Edirol pcr500 | FOCAL CMS 50 | Senheiser hd 25-1 II | Core i7 etc
Vicious_Angel
Apprentice

Postby Dungeon Studio » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:46 pm

Yeah, the piano's and synths are playable and fairly reliable in OP. But definately the damn drums get fouled on simple patterns, And I really like the drums too.

What hosts are you having success with V/A?
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

Postby Vicious_Angel » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:59 pm

In ableton live last time i checked it was working ok.
Vicious_Angel
Apprentice

Next

Return to Tips'n'tricks