separating kick and bass

Share your technical insight with beginners in this area, or pick up techniques and tricks-of-the-trade posted by seasoned Orion users.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

separating kick and bass

Postby Dungeon Studio » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:49 pm

You know I've always been a fan of your kicks Krim. And try as I might, I just can't get them as good as you do. But CC just tipped me off to using saturation on TomCat, and what a world of difference that makes! Tons better than comp's and maximers/limiters and all that.

As a rule though I usually only comp kick and snare. I certainly comp the bass as well, but as a rule I never sidechain it. Then again, I usually prefer the Brian Wilson poppy pick basses. So I try to get the bassline to play as natural as possible to the drums with velocity. IE; da-DA-da-DA, dee-DEE-dee-DEE. Only if it's a real heavy reggae or synth bass will I sideshain it to the BD.
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

separating kick and bass

Postby Kriminal » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:49 pm

i never use comps in my tracks (except when mastering, but not in Orion) with one exception..a comp on my 303 channels..they are usually distorted, and i have it to keep my vol levels even when i tweak the filter ;)
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

separating kick and bass

Postby Dungeon Studio » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:51 pm

Do you always step enter your beats Krim? I often times 'play' mine, so get varying velocity levels. That's when the comp comes in handy.
But if everything's at static level's velocity wise, then sure - doesn't make a lot of sense comp'ing something that's already comp'd to begin with. ;)
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

separating kick and bass

Postby Eklectro » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:05 pm

play the same key and fine tune
Orion 8, Live 8Le, Cubase 4 LE, Cantana, APC40, UC16, Fostex PM1MKII, Q9550, 4G0, 1,5T, 22"+15"

http://soundcloud.com/eklectro/i-like-xylo-29-03-2011
Eklectro
Apprentice

separating kick and bass

Postby bones » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:03 pm

Dungeon Studio wrote:You know I've always been a fan of your kicks Krim. And try as I might, I just can't get them as good as you do.

Really? I've always thought that the drums have always let his stuff down.
Kriminal wrote:i never use comps in my tracks (except when mastering, but not in Orion) with one exception..a comp on my 303 channels..they are usually distorted, and i have it to keep my vol levels even when i tweak the filter ;)

Distortion works like a limiter, so compression shouldn't be necessary.
Dungeon Studio wrote:Do you always step enter your beats Krim? I often times 'play' mine, so get varying velocity levels. That's when the comp comes in handy.

If you tweak your presets so that velocity doesn't have such a big effect, compression would be unnecessary. That's why I rarely need compression - there is almost always something else you can do to address those kinds of problems without adding to the complexity of your project.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

separating kick and bass

Postby Kriminal » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:05 pm

bones wrote:Distortion works like a limiter, so compression shouldn't be necessary.

not in my set up, if i didnt need a comp on that channel, i wouldnt use it, as i hate them
Kriminal
Immortal

separating kick and bass

Postby Dungeon Studio » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:56 pm

Krim's kick's have always been cool by me. Punchy, solid, straight to the brain. I'm not a big fan of 'acid music' per say, but was always impressed how Krim's kicks cut through it all.

And yes Bones, for my weird glitchy stuff I usually take all velocity depths right off and just work the faders if need be. But for acoustic kit's, I usually like a lot. Force of habit from playing the real skins. ;)
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

separating kick and bass

Postby Kriminal » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:41 pm

Dungeon Studio wrote:Do you always step enter your beats Krim? I often times 'play' mine, so get varying velocity levels.

both, mostly hand (or rather mouse) place and edited tho for the 'dancey' stuff....and edited quite a lot for variation...not to sound 'human' as such, just to vary the hits a bit
Kriminal
Immortal

Previous

Return to Tips'n'tricks