My first synth

Share your technical insight with beginners in this area, or pick up techniques and tricks-of-the-trade posted by seasoned Orion users.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

My first synth

Postby ECdj79 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:03 pm

Good evening everyone, this is my first virtual synthesizer, is very elementary, so be gentle .. ehe he and
Enjoy

http://www.zshare.net/download/71722551ab4bdd06/
ECdj79

My first synth

Postby machinist » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:49 pm

screenshot, a few details perhaps?
machinist
Regular

My first synth

Postby Dungeon Studio » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:14 pm

Yeah, I thought you had just bought one. But you've made one? Is it SE, C+, mono, poly, big, small? :confused:
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

My first synth

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:30 pm

Thanks for the wait time on the retarded stinkin zshare just to download 1MB.
Here's a tip for you: www.box.net

Anyway, it's ok for a first synth, I guess... better than what I ever did, which is nothing :hihi:
Standard controls...
- 2 oscillators:sine, saw, triangle, square and noise, each with a volume control
- Intonations: -5 to +5 octaves range, 12 semitones, and a fine tune control
- ADSR envelope
- Filter: Low pass, High Pass, Band Pass, Band Reject, and Peaking; with Cutoff, Resonance and Track controls
- Main Volume control
- VU meter (btw, why does it have scale that go into negative? What's the purpose of that, when every sound you can make will peak into positive on this thingy? And is useless in there, in my opinion)

Soundwise, it's ok for a simple synth, nothing fancy, can make a variety of sounds with oscillator waveforms at its disposal and mixing with volume controls, although it would probably be better with a crossfade control between the oscillators (like WASP has for oscillator mixing).
No presets whatsoever, which I can say I prefer when it comes to simple synths, makes me work for the sound.

Graphically, it doesn't really look very much like a synth. Controls are grouped but layed out without any particular order, text is in Italian (I think) and overlapping graphical parts in some areas, and looks a bit blurred (lack of sharpness). For all the elements that are there, graphics could and probably should be a lot smaller than it actually is. It's a little too spread out. Knobs are OK, respond both to left and right clicks, but have no markings, like beginning, the end or center positions.
A synth like this could very well fit into horizontal, or like a "rack", rather than "boxed" look that you went for, providing that you lose the VU.

EDIT: For those who asked... here's a screenshot

Last edited by HYPNAGOGIA on Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

My first synth

Postby ECdj79 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:36 pm

A si scusate ho dimenticato di dare i dettagli...E' polifonico, con due oscillatori, un filtro per l'intonazione e uno per le frequenze più un inviluppo e un v-meter.
For now it is very basic because I have to study many things .... preset automation etc ... is zipped and in extension .dll
I started only now with this job and so far I know very little about synthesis.

Thanks Hypnagogia for your advice very useful
Last edited by ECdj79 on Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ECdj79

My first synth

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:39 pm

EC, a reminder... barely anyone here speak or even understand Italian :confused:
Last edited by HYPNAGOGIA on Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

My first synth

Postby Dungeon Studio » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:40 pm

Thanks Hypna for the detailed description and all. So no 'psychic modelled organic transferal synthesis' going on here. Just a simple good ol' mono squeeler. ;)

All the power to you EC, that's more than I did farting around with SE.
Keep up the good work, and who knows - you may revolutionise electronic music. :cool:
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

My first synth

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:43 pm

Yep, exactly, and interestingly, it's not a SE, so yes, all the power to EC. For a first try, he made a nice Small Synth :)

Oh, and while you mentioned good ol' mono squeeler... A thought for EC... how about a pan knob for each oscillator maybe? That would make it less mono :hihi: Well, it would if you place two different waveforms on oscillators anyway.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

My first synth

Postby Mark » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:14 pm

It's made using SynthMaker, which is the equivalent of Synth Edit.
Mark

My first synth

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:32 pm

How do you know it's a SynthMaker?
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

My first synth

Postby Mark » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:22 pm

I'm surprised you need to ask, but never mind, the whole GUI is default SynthMaker. The knobs, drop-down menus for oscillators, filter etc, the curvey text boxes for each section. No offence to EC, but this didn't take much effort to make.
Mark

My first synth

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:04 am

Don't see why that surprises you, I never really dabbled with SM/SE. Long time ago, but never got anywhere with those. And I'm not so keen to recognizing SM stuff. SE, here and there, but SM nope. :hihi:
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

My first synth

Postby Dungeon Studio » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:51 am

I'm surprised it's not SE either. But I guess SynthMaker is much the same? Does SM allow for integrating this physical modelled stuff and custom components more so than SE?

But kudo's to EC even if it's a simple synth to begin with. Just keep at it and you'll impress us all someday soon I'm sure. ;)
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

My first synth

Postby ECdj79 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:07 pm

Yes is build with syntmaker ;)
ECdj79

My first synth

Postby Mark » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:50 pm

It's a nice program for making synths. Hope you have fun with it and look forward to seeing something more complex!
Mark

Next

Return to Tips'n'tricks