How to remove PC Start Up crap?

Share your technical insight with beginners in this area, or pick up techniques and tricks-of-the-trade posted by seasoned Orion users.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Postby Dungeon Studio » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:33 pm

Got these pesky little things that come up when I turn on my lappy. Some Windows update icon in the bottom right that always tells me 'Some NET Framework items could not be installed' if I click on it. And a Dell Check Up that 'can't connect' if I click on that (due to some proxy issues I've since fixed) I'm sure they don't cause too much overall grief, but probably slow the start up and/or take up resources just that extra fraction. Is there a easy way they can be completely removed from start up?
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

Postby DaZoid » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:02 pm

there's little prog called autoruns.exe

you get get rid of everything that's getting on your nerves
DaZoid
Guru

Postby epilogue » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:43 pm

You can also use Start->Run and type "msconfig" to disable specific startup programs. I've been using Dell PCs for the last 8 years and have just made a habit of wiping/reinstalling the OS whenever I get a new one. Guarantees a clean slate!
Phreque.com - Weapons-Grade Awesome.
epilogue
Elite Producer

Postby Icaro » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:49 pm

you should be able to change start-up processes in msconfig
Icaro
Professional

Postby ambe » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:20 pm

CCleaner is my prefered option - http://www.ccleaner.com/
ambe
Regular

Postby Christophe » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:43 pm

i use msconfig to see the path in the registry and use regedit to delete the stuff
Yamaha CS-30, Roland SH-1, Roland MKS70, Focusrite Scarlett 18i6, Yamaha FS1R, Oberheim Matrix 1000, Novation Remote 37SL, Korg Legacy, Alesis M1Active 520, Novation Launchpad Pro, Push2, Intel i7-7700HQ
Christophe

Postby Dungeon Studio » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:21 pm

Cool! Thanks a bunch guys. I'll give it a whirl right now. :smile3:

That CC Cleaner is really cool, and did the trick the best. Thanks Ambe! :D
But I can't track down this stupid Windows Update that keeps popping up? How do I go about tracking it down safely? It's in this loop over NET Framework. Even installed all the NET stuff, and still persists 'Updates available; Cannot load updates for Net Framework' I think it's great to get Windows updates, so if I zap that - it should still work in future, right?
Last edited by Dungeon Studio on Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

Postby Icaro » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:53 pm

maybe this is too simple, and I'm missing your problem....... but I have windows update set to 'never'

Then you can chose when you want to run an update, and that annoying pop-up never bugs you..... at least that's how it is for me.

I love windows...... it thinks I know how I want to run my computer. I guess it's kind of set up for the most stupid user by default. I turned off all the automatic sh+!t, and remember to update from time to time. Never any problems here.
Icaro
Professional

Postby Dungeon Studio » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:00 am

I'll give that a go too. Guess that's in the control panel? I never bother with it before, but was nice when I got my lappy I was alerted of all these 'updates' whch went right into my computer, and it went off afterwards. But this stupid thing has been coming on for like a year now, and it's really annoying when I catch it in the corner of my eye. Yet, I don't want to miss out on anything critical either. But I guess the 'criticals' are mainly for 7 and all that. Good ol' XP must be A.O.K by now. ;)
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

Re: How to remove PC Start Up crap?

Postby thetmechmagnet » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:41 am

Start>Run>MSCONFIG>Startup, you can get the list of every startup program information at http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm to get a complate list of what is essential and not essential programs. Take care and all the best!

Thanks
thetmechmagnet
Novice

Re:

Postby suecae_sounds » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:35 pm

ambe wrote:CCleaner is my prefered option - http://www.ccleaner.com/

I vouch for CCleaner too. Great app.
suecae_sounds
Apprentice

Return to Tips'n'tricks