Madality "Free"

Share your technical insight with beginners in this area, or pick up techniques and tricks-of-the-trade posted by seasoned Orion users.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Madality "Free"

Postby ECdj79 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:30 am

Hello, I do not know if it was already mentioned but I got an idea on how the composition of Orion. You may enter a third mode in addition to the Pattern or Song. Mode "Free" is that which can allow the start of a recording without having to set a pattern length. Or just turn on the REC button on the channel in the song library and bar and transposing and start to record live with your keyboard without having to worry as the pattern length.
Hello thanks
ECdj79

Madality "Free"

Postby suecae_sounds » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:40 am

From what I understand this feature will be available in Orion 8. Which is great news! :smile3:
suecae_sounds
Apprentice

Madality "Free"

Postby Synthetic Sensations » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:12 am

That would be great! :-)
Synthetic Sensations
Regular

Madality "Free"

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:31 pm

Free length recording works in Song mode.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Madality "Free"

Postby Synthetic Sensations » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:58 pm

Does anyone know if Orion will have the option to do away with the 'Pattern / Song' interface so that it acts like a traditional DAW?
Synthetic Sensations
Regular

Madality "Free"

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:30 pm

What do you mean?
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Madality "Free"

Postby Synthetic Sensations » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:39 pm

Ok, what I mean is this: Instead of using the 'Pattern / Song' method to create a track... Would there be a button that does away with that method so you are creating your track as you would in Sonar, for example?
Synthetic Sensations
Regular

Madality "Free"

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:05 pm

Sorry, Blue, don't know how Sonar works, but I'm guessing no.
I think any change to the fundamental way of how Orion works would simply make it... well... not Orion.

Would it be bother if I asked you how Sonar works regarding that? I reckon that would save us some time.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Madality "Free"

Postby Dungeon Studio » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:48 pm

Hold on there Hypna, I would say 'yes' for OP. Just simply stay in Song mode. And ones free to say record any type of live track for unlimited length. Add a VST synth, and record it to the track direct in song mode as well. The drawback currently is one has to set the VST to 99999 in length beforehand, and it will go to A1 which may have to be 'dialed in' after the recordings finished. But OP can be just as linear as the others I'd say. Maybe not quite as 'realtime' as Sonar and what not - in way of seeing waveforms develop on the track, or MIDI notes appear after they've been played. But in this case 'patterns' in OP would act as 'virtual takes' then. And parts of each can be lasso'd, copied and pasted amongst each to make the perfect track if one wanted. Same with recorded audio, refering to REC001, 002, etc. takes.
Not knowing Sonar to well myself, OP is not too much different really.
A bit more cumbersome here and there, but a lot more possible variety in the end.
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

Madality "Free"

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:08 pm

Well, I didn't know what he meant with the referrence to Sonar, so my appologies.

Orion will allow you to record indefinetely in Song mode, as long as you want, without having to set the pattern length before you start recording. But that only works in Song mode, giving it a feel of linear sequencing, while Pattern mode remains as it was... for now, unless Rich decides to make changes to that as well, but I doubt that he will change the way Pattern mode works.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Madality "Free"

Postby Dungeon Studio » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:26 pm

I think currently one has to set length to a VST in song mode to 99999 whatever before recording currently in Song Mode. And trim back after. IE; if song turns out 90 measures in length x16, VST track will actually be 1044 in total - for those that like it neat and tidy. OP8 will be nice to remove all those steps and figuring out, that's for sure.

But to keep Pattern Mode as well, I think is beyond Cubase and Sonar et al - as they're all pretty linear. And if they can do patterns, I'm sure it must be more irksome than getting OP to be linear now. Really nice to toggle between the two to create, audition, isolate, etc.
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

Madality "Free"

Postby ECdj79 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:27 pm

Ok thanks a lot you my question was this. That is, avoid (when recording in song mode) set each time a length, as you did the example above. That set up such a length that is then always "cut" or "stretched" in the piano roll. Register as a free (for example is into Cubase). Thanks
ECdj79

Madality "Free"

Postby Synthetic Sensations » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:35 pm

I see... No worries... :D
Synthetic Sensations
Regular

Madality "Free"

Postby Dungeon Studio » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:48 pm

Right. So it's best to put in 99999 for length just to be safe, and that your playing doesn't get cut off at the end. And fairly easy to open up piano roll to see where the last note played is (ie: 1452) and just set length to that after. Cubase and others you don't need to worry about that I'm sure. But then again, I don't think you get the Pattern ability either like you do in OP.

Still a bit confused how Rich will override this for OP8? From my understanding recording in Song Mode will default to A1. Which is good if you load up a piano, and want to record playing it right away.
But if one wants 'another take' on A2 - that might be the tricky part?
Rich implied it will constanly be on A1, so after recording one would have to copy/paste that 'take' to A2. And recording again in Song will overwrite everything on A1. Or maybe I misunderstood him?

So either way, today and next year - OP's always going to be just that little bit 'different'. ;)
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

Madality "Free"

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:47 pm

Nope.
Here's how it's currently in the beta:

You load up an instrument, switch to Song mode, arm the track (little recording button on the instrument track in the Playlist). Then you hit play to start recording, and it records on A1, automatically extending the length as long as you're recording. In case you want to take another take, you rewind to the position you want to begin recording, hit little record button on the track again (to arm the track), press play. Orion records on the next empty pattern (in this case A2), also extending the length to the duration of the recording. In case you want another take, you do all of that again, Orion records to the next empty pattern.
Hope that clears it a little.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Next

Return to Tips'n'tricks