Synths/FX and OP after complete reinstall.

Share your technical insight with beginners in this area, or pick up techniques and tricks-of-the-trade posted by seasoned Orion users.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Postby Dungeon Studio » Sat May 01, 2010 7:46 pm

Just out of curiousity, my big ass lappy's getting totally reinstalled to get rid of this irksome virus crap. I've got my OP songs safely backed up hopefully. But my big fear is if I install OP, put the songs back and bring one up to play - does OP tell me what I'm missing synth and effect wise? Or just immediately substitutes with samplers and nixes missing effects? I have most of my VST's and all backed up too. So would be best to install them all before opening a song? Or does OP let me know what's missing, and I can depleat my arsenal somewhat?
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

Postby crimsonwarlock » Sat May 01, 2010 9:04 pm

I seem to remember that it asks you to browse for a missing plugin when it encounters one.
crimsonwarlock
Regular

Postby suneel » Sat May 01, 2010 9:10 pm

Dungeon Studio wrote:does OP tell me what I'm missing synth and effect wise? Or just immediately substitutes with samplers and nixes missing effects? I have most of my VST's and all backed up too. So would be best to install them all before opening a song? Or does OP let me know what's missing, and I can depleat my arsenal somewhat?
if a vst is missing then, you are shown a window, to point to the location of the vst dll. If you hit the cancel button only, the sampler is loaded, not otherwise.

better to install plugins and then open your sfs. that way if you still get some msg, you know you have to install that vst or not. in either case unless you save your sfs finally, your original content is still intact.
suneel
Guru

Postby Dungeon Studio » Sun May 02, 2010 3:08 am

Thanks guys, you refreshed my memory. I remembered samplers popping up long ago - but you're right in that it does ask for xxx.dll beforehand.

Now effects though, would they be the same? I kinda recall loading something up and it sounded so different. Turned out I deleted some FX, and don't think OP forwarned me loading the song? Or it did, and I cancelled it, then saved the song after - more than likely.
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

Postby Teksonik » Sun May 02, 2010 10:42 am

Create a project, load a vst effect, temporarily remove that plugin from your folder, reload the project and see what Orion does?
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Teksonik » Sun May 02, 2010 10:49 am

Ok I just tried it........Orion will report the missing effect plugin by name and ask you to point to it's location.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby suneel » Sun May 02, 2010 11:38 am

Dungeon Studio wrote:Now effects though, would they be the same?
same, but obviously it wont load the sampler, it will load some other effect like a delay. And when you press play your like wtf?? either install the fx vst before hand or delete the orion inserted temp fx if you know where the fx was replaced.
suneel
Guru

Postby Dungeon Studio » Sun May 02, 2010 3:59 pm

Thanks guys. That's the one that worries me. Recently I've gone the 'simple route' just using OP comp's and reverbs mainly. But my old stuff where I'm using Smex FX and NDC and Phutboy's et al. Many are the same in nature, but they're not. So best to install ALL of them beforehand so as to not get messed up and confused.

Wish OP could address that like VSTi's, but maybe in OP9? ;)
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Sun May 02, 2010 4:03 pm

I think Orion addresses missing VST/i's quite well... or maybe I'm missing what you mean?
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby Dungeon Studio » Sun May 02, 2010 4:55 pm

Just when it comes to effects. I think Suneel's saying if I had used a weird NDC fx as a insert or send and don't have it installed when I load the song, OP just ignores it and opens the song anyways - pointing out missing VSTi synths needing to be located or replaced with samplers. Or maybe I'm missing something there too?
Last edited by Dungeon Studio on Sun May 02, 2010 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

Postby suneel » Sun May 02, 2010 5:41 pm

Dungeon Studio wrote:Just when it comes to effects. I think Suneel's saying if I had used a weird NDC fx as a insert or send and don't have it installed when I load the song, OP just ignores it and opens the song anyways
and replaces your NDC fx with a delay fx, so watch out.
suneel
Guru

Postby Dungeon Studio » Sun May 02, 2010 5:48 pm

Thanks Suneel, so I was right then. No warning or anything? If the fx .DLL isn't found on loading - BOOM! Delay is substituted.

OP could improve on that I would hope.
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Sun May 02, 2010 6:51 pm

Nope.

Orion informs you that it's missing, and asks you to point to the new location where the .dll file is. It's same for VST instruments and effects (as it can never happen with internals)
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby suneel » Sun May 02, 2010 7:02 pm

Dungeon Studio wrote:Thanks Suneel, so I was right then. No warning or anything?
er no...thats not what i said.

IF it is a vsti
-you are prompted with a window to select the location of the dll
- if you press cancel it is replaced by sampler

IF it is a vst
-you are prompted with a window to select the location of the dll
- if you press cancel it is replaced by a orion effect usually some delay fx
Last edited by suneel on Sun May 02, 2010 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
suneel
Guru

Postby Dungeon Studio » Sun May 02, 2010 7:39 pm

Ahh okay. So it does prompt you to the missing fx name/dll then and gives you a chance to locate it or exit and install. If you continue anyways without it - THEN it substitutes for a delay.

That's better then. :)
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

Next

Return to Tips'n'tricks