Getting OP to recognise VST Inst folder.

Share your technical insight with beginners in this area, or pick up techniques and tricks-of-the-trade posted by seasoned Orion users.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Postby Dungeon Studio » Sun May 23, 2010 4:41 pm

As I'm reinstalling 7.61 on my old jalopy, and WaveLab - I'm coming across a PITA where OP and/or WL is trying to scan all the synths and FX in OP's VST Plugs folder.
As it stood before, even with all the OP upgrades from 5 to 7 there was always a VST Instruments folder that OP recognized and I could put all my synth installs to. On the fresh reinstall of 7.61 I see it's not there. And even if I create a 'VST Inst' folder and put synth .DLL's to it, OP's still not detecting them. Is there something I can do in the VSTCFG or something to make OP see the VST Inst folder again? Got so much to reinstall and reorganize, it keeps me better focused on what's what and where.
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

Postby crimsonwarlock » Sun May 23, 2010 5:25 pm

You can create a folder anywhere you like and put your plugin DLL-files in it. Then in Orion you can add the path to this folder. Restart and Orion should rescan the newly added folder for plugins.
crimsonwarlock
Regular

Postby Dungeon Studio » Sun May 23, 2010 6:26 pm

This time it's not doing it for me? If I make the folder and put the DLL to it, the Song I'm loading will ask me to find it - and that works okay. But maybe it's because I don't have everything installed yet synth and FX wise, so I'm not 'saving' the song? Maybe once everything is installed and working properly and I 'save' after everything's been found that might help? :confused:
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

Postby machinist » Sun May 23, 2010 6:29 pm

which vsts's specifically?

some of them have installers that make reg entries etc, so you cant move the .dll

if you install everything into the 'defult' folder you shouldnt have any probs, Orion will scan that folder (and sub folders)

install everythig, then do a rescan

also, make sure you have the latest vstcfg.txt (not the old one)
machinist
Regular

Postby Dungeon Studio » Sun May 23, 2010 6:40 pm

This is my MusicLab Real Guitar specifically. And yes, it does install to it's own Program File folder and I have to copy/paste the DLL to OP's folder.
It's very 'Reg Entry' oriented, but the DLL transfers seem to work well enough in OP in either folder. Plus when I installed RG, it gives a DX version as well. So maybe that's an issue too?

But I did update the vstcfg.txt to include RealGuitar2 = 1 in hopes, but no luck still. :( Too beautiful a day here, so I'm taking a break now.
Last edited by Dungeon Studio on Sun May 23, 2010 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Sun May 23, 2010 6:42 pm

In case of the installing plugins, you can make shortcuts to the plugin DLLs, no matter where they are installed, and put those shortcuts into Orion's plugin folder. Orion will pick on the shortcuts just as if the dll files were there.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby crimsonwarlock » Sun May 23, 2010 7:20 pm

Not directly related but if you are re-installing stuff this might come in handy:

http://www.asseca.com/setVSTpath/index.html

I have a 'vst-active' folder that I've set as default with this utility and most installers will default to that setting ;)
Last edited by crimsonwarlock on Sun May 23, 2010 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crimsonwarlock
Regular

Postby Dungeon Studio » Mon May 24, 2010 2:18 am

One of those great Homer Simpson 'DOOH!' moments. But yes, OP does certainly have that asseca option built in as well. Under OP's Options - VST Paths. Soon as I type in C:/Program Files/Orion/VST Instruments, it all comes up roses now.

Thankfully as simple as that. ;)
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

Postby crimsonwarlock » Mon May 24, 2010 7:57 am

DS, those are two different things: You can point Orion to a folder of your choosing. The little tool from asseca you use to set the default install path for NEW plugin installations to the folder of your choosing. You use the asseca tool just once and point it to the same folder: C:/Program Files/Orion/VST Instruments

Most VSTi installers point to some steinberg-folder by default. By using the asseca tool they will point to C:/Program Files/Orion/VST Instruments by default ;)

It will keep you from having to find and move the DLL-file yourself after installing a VSTi.
crimsonwarlock
Regular

Postby Dungeon Studio » Mon May 24, 2010 2:13 pm

The asseca tool looks good. But soon as I saw it I thought 'Damn, that looks familiar'. So it prompted me to look around OP's Options a bit better.

Now with this Asseca tool, I installed the Wusikstation CM version and wasn't paying attention and went to OP's VST Plug In's folder. I cut and pasted the folder to VST Inst. and is making me look for it's components now. All of which seem to be in it's folder still.
Would this Asseca be able to cure that - override the registry?
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Mon May 24, 2010 2:27 pm

No, it won't, you need to put things back where you took them from.
Some registry entries of VSTs that have installers are path dependent, like Pro-53 and some others. Once you get things back where they were, you have options from there what to do.
1. If you don't want it installed where it is, uninstall and install again in a different location.
2. If you're ok with where it is, but just need it to be in Orion's VST folder:
- point the VST Path in Orion's options to that location, or
- make a shortcut to the VSTs dll file and put it inside Orion's VST folder.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby Dungeon Studio » Mon May 24, 2010 2:31 pm

Thanks Hypna. I kinda thought so too. The CD's right beside me, and Control Panel is easy to access and remove it. So probably the best thing to do is just reinstall it better this time. ;)
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

Postby crimsonwarlock » Mon May 24, 2010 4:04 pm

HYPNAGOGIA wrote:No, it won't, you need to put things back where you took them from.
Some registry entries of VSTs that have installers are path dependent, like Pro-53 and some others.

This is not completely accurate. You can simply reinstall Pro53 and afterwards move the DLL wherever you like. With the asseca tool the DLL will be installed in your preferred folder by default.

Have have several NI-plugs and it doesn't matter where you install them as the DLL looks in the registry to see where everything is installed. The DLL-files can be moved anywhere you want and will work from that location.

As long as Orion can find the DLL (i.e. if it is in a folder that Orion knows of because it is set in it's preferences) then you should be fine.
crimsonwarlock
Regular

Postby Dungeon Studio » Mon May 24, 2010 4:34 pm

That's the one I get discombobulated with. NI stuff is fairly flexible with moving .DLL's around - just don't move the Program File folders around.
Then other things like this Wusikstation won't even let me move the DLL around?

And pissed at Steinberg now, as I just installed WaveLab 6 - and it doesn't have the generic 'VST Plug Ins' folder either. It's plugs are in 'WL6/System/plugins' And WL6's attitude is 'set the path to get the goods'. But don't want a bunch of comp's and spectralizers and other mastering tools DLL's in OP if they don't need to be. Argh!
Maybe if I installed 5 first, then 6 it might be better? But what a PITA all this is. :rolleyes:
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

Postby crimsonwarlock » Mon May 24, 2010 8:16 pm

You can always have all your plugins in one centralized folder. Most software (including wavelab) let you point to your VST-folder of choice.

As I said before, I have one folder holding all my active plugins and ALL my audio software is setup to use that one folder. Very handy for backups as well ;)

What you describe as a PITA to reinstall takes about an hour over here because I have set it all up this way :D
Last edited by crimsonwarlock on Mon May 24, 2010 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crimsonwarlock
Regular

Next

Return to Tips'n'tricks