Line 6 POD Studio KB37

Share your technical insight with beginners in this area, or pick up techniques and tricks-of-the-trade posted by seasoned Orion users.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Line 6 POD Studio KB37

Postby V/M » Fri May 28, 2010 10:29 am

Any opinions on the Line 6 POD Studio KB37?
I'm looking to replace my cumbersome Korg Z1 as a midi controller, and I'm enticed by the extra functionality.

bones, I know that this is listed on the Novakill site; actually, it's where i first found out about it.
do you still use it? recommend it?
is it good for both recording audio and as a midi controller?
V/M
Professional

Line 6 POD Studio KB37

Postby bones » Sat May 29, 2010 12:19 am

I am extremely happy with most of it. Probably the biggest limitation is that it only works on MIDI channel 1, so you may have to do a bit of work if you have been using the Z1 on any other channel. That's just a one-off adjustment and well worth making. The other issue is that the newer Pod Farm doesn't support the footswitches so if you want to use footswitches, like we do, you will have to stick with the old GearBox software. Pod Farm does a couple of things better than GearBox but there is not a whole lot in it. It certainly doesn't worry me,although Pod Farm is more than a year old now, so I think it is pretty slack of Line6 not to have fixed this by now.
Over all though, I like the compact size of it, the flexibility of it's routing options and the GearBox software is awesome. For us it replaced our on-stage mixer, our old audio device and MIDI controller, so it was a no-brainer.
If you are just after a MIDI controller though, there may be better options but we didn't really look. I bought a UX2 off ebay, which is a KB37 without a keyboard, and decided on the basis of being very happy with it that a KB37 would be even better. Size was also a big factor - I like that it is smaller than my Micron was, yet has an extra octave of keys.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Line 6 POD Studio KB37

Postby V/M » Sat May 29, 2010 4:16 am

thanks for the informative reply.
V/M
Professional

Line 6 POD Studio KB37

Postby iam7zark7 » Sun May 30, 2010 5:00 am

I love my KB37 too. I will say that it wasn't long after I got it that the volume knob started crackling. DEOXIT sorted it out though.

-7zark7
iam7zark7
Apprentice

Line 6 POD Studio KB37

Postby bones » Sun May 30, 2010 11:31 pm

I've not had any of those kinds of problems but I doubt I touch the volume knob more than a few times a year [I use the software volume on my PC most of the time].
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Return to Tips'n'tricks