Automating the right events

Share your technical insight with beginners in this area, or pick up techniques and tricks-of-the-trade posted by seasoned Orion users.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Automating the right events

Postby Gino Cortesi » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:28 pm

Hello,

Just sharing the things I think are cool as I learn Orion 7.6 (only my 2nd day, so bear with me).

I was pleased to see that you can automate a plethora of events in Orion.Very very cool! So lets say you want to pan an instrument from left to right and change it's pitch so it sounds like a car driving by (or an ambulance if you prefer :) )

Recording the notes for the pattern is easy, but finding the right event in a long list of names can be tedious. The names can vary slightly between instruments, and even between the instrument and the event list. Automating the wrong event is significantly less fun, than getting it right the first time.

In most instruments (sadly not in Toxic 2 and 3!) you can right click on the dial you want and select "Edit in Pattern" and then draw your events. After your happy with how it sounds, hit the TAB key and your back to the instrument. So you always get the right instrument event, every time.

For the example (a car driving by), you would first find the dial that does the pan, and while that seems simple if the instrument has 4 pans which one gives you the desired effect? The answer is our friend trial and error :) You just mess with the dials one by one with the instrument playing until you hear what you like, and then right click and off you go. To complete this example, we'd want to tweak the pitch with a straight rise and fall and the line tool makes quick work of that.

You can also record events directly, so turning a knob can give you the automation you want, or help you find the event because populated events show as a different color in the event list.

I realize this is a very basic tip, however this technique does not interrupt creative exploration. Reading a list of names and interpreting their meaning, as simple as it seems, is analytical. So if you do a lot of this, it can influence the decisions you make over a long session... or just give you a good headache.

Best regards,

Gino
Last edited by Gino Cortesi on Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gino Cortesi
Regular

Re: Automating the right events

Postby manducator » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:14 pm

Hey,

Well, it's my second day with Orion too, but yours was 8 months ago. So bear with me too.

I do understand the event automation (and the difference between song events and pattern events). I did for instance an automation in song event of the cutoff button of the monobass synth, for the squelching acid sound.

But here is my question:

How can I automate the mute button on the mixer, for instance, I don't want to draw a line, just to automate an on/off function. I gave up after half an hour... Although I do understand automation like it's explained in the manual.

I got it by recording but isn't there an easy way to draw an automation for an on/off function? Don't shoot me, just learning the ropes...

Greetz,
manducator
manducator
Regular

Postby ufo » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:14 am

Cant remember as usual, but bottom of the automation window is a grid icon
select this then paste in step size blocks.

should sort you out.
---=u f o=--- /Radiation Mutant / Snee-Nee-Iq
ufo
Elite Producer

Postby manducator » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:39 am

Hello ufo,

Many windows do have a grid button but I can't see one in the song event editor.

Anyway, I got working what I want, just need some practice.
manducator
Regular

Postby V/M » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:54 am

use the pencil (or is it just the cursor?) instead of the line.. should be a bit easier.
V/M
Professional

Postby manducator » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:47 am

yup, I gonna experiment a bit more with the pencil tool, thanks.
manducator
Regular

Postby eronsepriomma » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:49 pm

You probably very clever? or cunning?
eronsepriomma

Postby manducator » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:00 pm

eronsepriomma wrote:You probably very clever? or cunning?

???
manducator
Regular

Postby Richard » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:04 am

Looks like a spammer, perhaps he got through before we secured the system.
Richard
Synapse Audio

Postby manducator » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:07 am

Richard wrote:Looks like a spammer, perhaps he got through before we secured the system.

Damn, that means we are not clever or cunning...
manducator
Regular

Return to Tips'n'tricks