Sub-rudimentry question- Recording from web

Share your technical insight with beginners in this area, or pick up techniques and tricks-of-the-trade posted by seasoned Orion users.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:39 am

Greetings and welcome, Eire.

Orion is capable of recording audio, basically from any source.
All you need to do is set Orion to be able to record. You can do that in Options -> Audio Input Settings, and tick on Enable Input box. There, you can also set your desired driver you want to use for recording, as well as other options (monitoring and mono options, bit depth, and additional input latency). Now you're set for recording. As for the source, I'm afraid you'll have to temper that within the audio driver (either the Windows' mixer or the actual driver's software - depending on what sound card you're using).
Now, from there, all you have to do is to create an empty Audio Track (Insert -> Audio Track -> Stereo Input 1/2), set Orion to Song mode, arm the track for recording (by pressing the little R button on the playlist under the track name (it'll be named as Audio Track #1), and when you're ready, just hit spacebar or the Play button on the taskbar, and the recording will begin.

Personally, I'd rather use an audio editor for recording, edit and save the file and then bring it inside Orion. Just saying what your options are.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby V/M » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:50 am

I'm sure you have your reasons, I'm just not sure I see any benefit in going through the trouble of bringing the audio into Orion. If all you want to do is use the audio from the video as a tutorial.. I figure you'd be better off just leaving the video playing in the background. It'd also keep it running independent of whatever you're doing in Orion as well.
V/M
Professional

Postby AuralTask » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:02 am

This is a bit clumsy but it works:
http://www.applian.com/sound-recorder/
It allows you to record anything that you hear from your speakers (also from internet).
AuralTask
Novice

Postby Christophe » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:18 am

Yamaha CS-30, Roland SH-1, Roland MKS70, Focusrite Scarlett 18i6, Yamaha FS1R, Oberheim Matrix 1000, Novation Remote 37SL, Korg Legacy, Alesis M1Active 520, Novation Launchpad Pro, Push2, Intel i7-7700HQ
Christophe

Return to Tips'n'tricks