Timestretch slicing sampler

Share your technical insight with beginners in this area, or pick up techniques and tricks-of-the-trade posted by seasoned Orion users.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Timestretch slicing sampler

Postby traumatek » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:34 am

I love the Orion sampler, since it's just so easy to use.
However, there's no timestretch ability. Pitching samples up and down just changes the speed/length, rather than keeping the length the same and timestretching
This is the sensible way for it to work of course, but just wondering if anyone knows of any VST samplers that allow slicing like Orion's, but also have a timestretch function?
Alternatively, could this ever be an addition to Orion's Rich?

I suppose using a timestretch VST effect over the samples is a workaround?
traumatek
Regular

Re: Timestretch slicing sampler

Postby Richard » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:23 pm

NI Kontakt has a timestretching function.

What kind of material do you intend to timestretch? I've tested quite a few 3rd party algorithms that are available for licensing, but didn't really like any of them. The quality strongly depends on the material used, though, hence I'm asking. :)
Richard
Synapse Audio

Postby Andy-b » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:49 pm

In most of the case timestretching sound really artificial,I think more samples format support is better (like.nki,sfz etc.)
Andy-b
Regular

Postby T-Breaks » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:37 pm

I do my timestretching (vocals synths or basslines) in studio one.. sounds better than ableton IMHO.

For drum loops I prefer the slicer in Orion's sampler or I convert rx2 files for use in Stylus RMX.
T-Breaks
Regular

Postby DaZoid » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:27 am

Andy-b wrote:In most of the case timestretching sound really artificial,I think more samples format support is better (like.nki,sfz etc.)

I use Wavelab 6 for timestretching. It comes with a high end time stretching function. The sound is stunning. But unfortunately, it's not for free.
DaZoid
Guru

Postby suecae_sounds » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:31 am

Most good one's are most likely exclusive for one company and not available for lisence. At times I make some great use of the timestretch in Energy XT nonetheless - which I believe they've gotten from z-plane development.
suecae_sounds
Apprentice

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:22 am

The thing with TS algorithms is that almost all of the real-time ones don't do the job quite good. I think that's the characteristic Rich was looking for. Those that do a fairly decent job are more likely to be in other software that do it offline (not realtime). So, why bothering to license one that won't do it in realtime, when vast majority of audio editors already have them?
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby traumatek » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:10 pm

Good points all.

Rich, yes, I read about Kontakt's just after posting.
and I appreciate that timestretching is a big trade off between off-line for quality, or in-line for direct use but lower quality

Personally, I'd love to be able to use timestretch to shift the pitch of vocals, allowing one to create a whole different 'tune' to existing vocals, or also, just to correct the pitch
(by pitch, I mean the tonal pitch if that's right)

Similarly, I'd like to be able to do the same with instrument samples.
I guess I could do much of this in Kontakt, but it's big and clunky compared to Orion's sampler.

I suppose that one ideal would be to have a standard in-line timestretch function, but with a button to pause play, render using a better off-line algo, then import back as a wav
Whether that is remotely feasible, I have no idea!?
traumatek
Regular

Postby Mark » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:36 pm

You can select an audio editor to work from within Orion using File>Preferences to set your preferred editor. This will allow you to do in song, but not real-time editing of samples. This only works with audio-tracks, though, not samples in the editor or DrumRack.
Mark

Return to Tips'n'tricks