Need Help

Share your technical insight with beginners in this area, or pick up techniques and tricks-of-the-trade posted by seasoned Orion users.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Need Help

Postby badshah » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:37 am

Actually Sir, I want to build a CPU. Plz tell me, which mother board and processor best for work home music production. plzzzzz suggest.
i am decided that i want to buy this type of mother board and processor. 1.Mother Board- MSI 880GMA-E35 (FX) 2.Processor- AMD Athlon x2 260 or X4 .. 3.RAM 4GB It's right??

plzzz help.
badshah
Regular

Re: Need Help

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:06 am

1. MSI makes a really decent motherboards, contrary to what you might read on the internet. I have one, so does my brother, and we both had a few before, never had any problems with any of them. Though, if you think you might want to expand sometime in the future, maybe you should look at some other model, with more PCI and memory slots. Two memory slots might seem enough, though, you can easily pack 8GB in it, no problem. But the PCI slots might be a bit problematic. Add a dual-slot PCI-Express graphic card and a sound card, and your graphic will surely build up excessive heat because of the lack of air flow (unless it's has a water cooling). Tight space and all that. Overall, it's OK.
Mine has 3 PCI slots + 2 PCI-E, and with dual-slot graphic, between that and soundcard, there's about 1 slot room, though if I plug anything in it, temperature on the graphic will go through the roof. On my previous motherboard, it had 2 PCI slots and 1 PCI-E, and it literally popped the capacitor on my old single-slot 8600GT card due to the excess heat. Surprisingly, it worked for about 5-6 months with 3 busted capacitors. It was a miracle it didn't fry my motherboard or anything else :lol:
So, that's something to think about.
Though, if you have enough money and aiming for the quality, personally, I'd go with Asus anytime. Their motherboards cost a bit more (in some cases, a lot more), but the quality of those is excellent... at least it used to be.

2. I'd go with X4 processor. If you're new to music production, you will easily stress out your CPU, till you learn to organize and optimize your songs better, so a little extra power doesn't hurt. I have an X2 @ 2.5GHz, and it can be stressful sometimes. Though 260 is @ 3.2GHz, so you might be ok... depends on your needs.

3. 4GB of RAM is fine... unless you're going to work with a lot of audio - samplers/romplers, loops and stuff like that. If you're going to work mainly with synths and occasional sample here and there, you won't ever need more than that.

Overall, there's always a trade-off, unless you have enough cash to fork out for a "little kids eating" machine.
But basically, if you're doing a lot of synths and effects, go with the better CPU. And if you're doing a lot of audio, go with more RAM. That is, if you already have to make compromise. If you don't, then go with more of everything :D
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby ThehakkeMadman » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:38 am

Motherboard and CPU are a little less of information. Which soundcard will you use? Do you want to play actual games?
"I need more details."
ThehakkeMadman
Regular

Postby DaZoid » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:29 am

ThehakkeMadman wrote:Motherboard and CPU are a little less of information. Which soundcard will you use? Do you want to play actual games?

My system runs on a i7 2600 CPU and an MSI P67A-GD54 motherboard. Very fast. Very robust. Much fun, also for gaming (GeForce GTX 570)

The soundcard is an RME HDSP9632. Pretty expensive but extremely fast.
I worked with an Audiophile 2496 for a couple of years now and I can say, solid card for little money.
DaZoid
Guru

Postby Christophe » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:07 am

make yourself a favour, buy a quad core please !
it should be around 30€ more expensive
look for AMD Phenom II X4 840 (3.2Ghz)
Yamaha CS-30, Roland SH-1, Roland MKS70, Focusrite Scarlett 18i6, Yamaha FS1R, Oberheim Matrix 1000, Novation Remote 37SL, Korg Legacy, Alesis M1Active 520, Novation Launchpad Pro, Push2, Intel i7-7700HQ
Christophe

Postby Lance » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:42 pm

Yes, definitely go for the quad-core, it's much better value for money.

Also, if you can, get an SSD drive, and make it an OS/fast-loading drive.
Lance
Guru

Postby badshah » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:49 pm

HYPNAGOGIA wrote:1. MSI makes a really decent motherboards, contrary to what you might read on the internet. I have one, so does my brother, and we both had a few before, never had any problems with any of them. Though, if you think you might want to expand sometime in the future, maybe you should look at some other model, with more PCI and memory slots. Two memory slots might seem enough, though, you can easily pack 8GB in it, no problem. But the PCI slots might be a bit problematic. Add a dual-slot PCI-Express graphic card and a sound card, and your graphic will surely build up excessive heat because of the lack of air flow (unless it's has a water cooling). Tight space and all that. Overall, it's OK.
Mine has 3 PCI slots + 2 PCI-E, and with dual-slot graphic, between that and soundcard, there's about 1 slot room, though if I plug anything in it, temperature on the graphic will go through the roof. On my previous motherboard, it had 2 PCI slots and 1 PCI-E, and it literally popped the capacitor on my old single-slot 8600GT card due to the excess heat. Surprisingly, it worked for about 5-6 months with 3 busted capacitors. It was a miracle it didn't fry my motherboard or anything else :lol:
So, that's something to think about.
Though, if you have enough money and aiming for the quality, personally, I'd go with Asus anytime. Their motherboards cost a bit more (in some cases, a lot more), but the quality of those is excellent... at least it used to be.

2. I'd go with X4 processor. If you're new to music production, you will easily stress out your CPU, till you learn to organize and optimize your songs better, so a little extra power doesn't hurt. I have an X2 @ 2.5GHz, and it can be stressful sometimes. Though 260 is @ 3.2GHz, so you might be ok... depends on your needs.

3. 4GB of RAM is fine... unless you're going to work with a lot of audio - samplers/romplers, loops and stuff like that. If you're going to work mainly with synths and occasional sample here and there, you won't ever need more than that.

Overall, there's always a trade-off, unless you have enough cash to fork out for a "little kids eating" machine.
But basically, if you're doing a lot of synths and effects, go with the better CPU. And if you're doing a lot of audio, go with more RAM. That is, if you already have to make compromise. If you don't, then go with more of everything :D
ok sir.
plz tell me the model of Assus motherboard.
Thanks.
badshah
Regular

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:01 pm

badshah wrote:ok sir.
Thanks.

I don't know, that would depend on your needs and abilities. You haven't said whether or not you already have a graphic card, and what form does it come as... dual or single slot.
Looking at the same chipset as the MSI model, Asus M5A88V EVO comes as a good alternative for it, but it's about $50 more than MSI. And in case you don't have a graphic card, it comes with integrated Radeon HD4250 (up to 1900x1200 - HDMI, 2560x1600 - DVI or RGB up to 2048x1536 resolution) that can serve you till you get a dedicated graphic card. Expect degraded performances with integrated graphics during graphic extensive works, though from experience, it will serve just as nice for normal operations. But since integrated takes from your RAM to use it, having a dedicated graphic is always the better solution.

But seriously, if you don't have heat problems, you can't go wrong with either MSI or Asus. Just assess your needs and abilities and see what suits you the best.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby badshah » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:59 am

HYPNAGOGIA wrote:
badshah wrote:ok sir.
Thanks.

I don't know, that would depend on your needs and abilities. You haven't said whether or not you already have a graphic card, and what form does it come as... dual or single slot.
Looking at the same chipset as the MSI model, Asus M5A88V EVO comes as a good alternative for it, but it's about $50 more than MSI. And in case you don't have a graphic card, it comes with integrated Radeon HD4250 (up to 1900x1200 - HDMI, 2560x1600 - DVI or RGB up to 2048x1536 resolution) that can serve you till you get a dedicated graphic card. Expect degraded performances with integrated graphics during graphic extensive works, though from experience, it will serve just as nice for normal operations. But since integrated takes from your RAM to use it, having a dedicated graphic is always the better solution.

But seriously, if you don't have heat problems, you can't go wrong with either MSI or Asus. Just assess your needs and abilities and see what suits you the best.

The Mother Board of Assus M5A88V_EVO is costly. here retailer rate 138$. Actually my budget is medium. sir, i suggest three board-ASROCK Z68Pro or MSI 880GMA-E35 (FX) (Socket AM3+), 790GX-G65(Socket AM3). which is best? sorry my English language. plzzz help.
badshah
Regular

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:44 pm

badshah wrote:The Mother Board of Assus M5A88V_EVO is costly. here retailer rate 138$. Actually my budget is medium. sir, i suggest three board-ASROCK Z68Pro or MSI 880GMA-E35 (FX) (Socket AM3+), 790GX-G65(Socket AM3). which is best? sorry my English language. plzzz help.

I had one Asrock board before. It was pretty solid, considering that Asrock was a subsidiary of Asus (for OEM market), but has grown since then, and actually had good reviews from the tech websites that do reviews.
The board you specified is for Intel processors (LGA1155 socket for i3/i5/i7 processors). So, that AMD processor you were aiming at won't work with it. You would need an Intel processor (one of those i series).
Asrock has some nice 880 boards, but they all go over $100, so that might not do you any good.
Alternative would be an 770DE3L board for Phenom II processors (X6 ready), and is under 100 dollars, though that might vary depending on your location and store prices.

The MSI boards are both good. 790GX has a bit better layout for components, since it has 2 PCI-E slots and 2 PCI slots, makes it easy to avoid any heating issues (ie. graphic card in PCI-E top slot, and sound card on bottom PCI slot), and is rated to be around $100. Also has 2 PCI-E x1 slots in between the 2 x 16 ones if you need them for anything. I don't know if that's acceptable to you or not, since 880GMA-E35 (FX) is rated around $75. But, really, you could go with 880GMA-E35 (FX) as well, you just need to see and assess if the lack of space would cause you any problems. Don't buy it if you have a dual-slot graphic card, since adding a sound card would literally close the fan, and it'll just cause you grief. You might be ok if you have a single slot graphic card, that leaves you some room for air flow... or if you have liquid cooling, then you won't have to worry about heating at all.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Return to Tips'n'tricks