Audio Track Mixing.

Share your technical insight with beginners in this area, or pick up techniques and tricks-of-the-trade posted by seasoned Orion users.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Audio Track Mixing.

Postby badshah » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:18 am

Sorry sir, this is a different topic. but i always face this problem. so sir plzzz help me. actually sir i want to make nonstop and mush up track using some audio tracks. Suppose i have three audio tracks and this three tracks key are F#, G, C and also different temp. i think i can adjust its tempo. but i can't adjust its key in a same key. so sir, how i can adjust a particular key. suppose project is 132bpm, c4. i am mainly use Sound forge 10 for editing audio track. Also i can't clear mixing of voice track in Orion. so sir, plzzzzzzzzzzzz help me and give some technique. sorry my English language.
badshah
Regular

Re: Audio Track Mixing.

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:57 am

Sound Forge has an Elastique Timestretch (Proces -> Time -> Elastique Timestretch) that might serve you for this purpose.
Know that no timestretching/pitchshifting tool will make it sound 100% perfect, but if you're mixing smaller chunks of audio with other sound sources, you might get away with it, and as a guideline, don't overdo it. Too much of shifting and/or stretching will just make it sound weird. Orion doesn't have Pitchshifting/Timestretching tools that will do that efficiently for you.

So, taking your example as something to work with, having 3 audio files, you need to know 2 things for each:
1. Key
2. Tempo
So, that comes as 6 information you need to keep in mind (or better yet, on the paper), plus the tempo and key of your project (132, C), which gives you 8 total.
Now, in Elastique, you will see that it's divided into 4 sections: time stretch, pitch shift, time/pitch graph with mode selection and formants shift.
To bring those 3 audio files to the tempo of your project, you need to determine the tempo of the file, and the tempo you need to get it to (New = 132). Then move to the Pitch Shift, and move the semitones slider till you get it into the key.
For those keys, to bring them to C, you can do this:
F# = -6 down, or +6 up
G = -7 down, or +5 up
The third one (C) will remain the same.
Remember that less is better, so less semitones the better. For F# key it's irrelevant, unless you want higher or lower sounding result. For G, ideal would be up, though you might not like the audio to sound that high. Listen and you'll see what works better.

For each, determine the mode you wish to work with. In most cases Efficient will work, but if you want more control over the sound, go with Pro mode, which will give you the controls over formants shifts.
Most importantly, LISTEN what it's doing.

As for the voice removal, I'm afraid that Orion or Sound Forge won't help you with that. The best option is to get a purely instrumental tracks (without vocals). Alternative is voice cancellation, but you would need an acapella track (without music) for that.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby badshah » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:36 am

thank you sir. i am try this in sound forge.but face a problem i want to change the key D to c. change the key in Sound forge but MixMesister always show its original key. After that i am use http://www.008soft.com/mp3-key-changer.htm "mp3 key changer" and key has changed. Audio track description 124bpm, key d. so i am put the value in Elastique time stretch -Time Stretch option- Original Tempo 124, New tempo 132. Pitch shift Option- Semitones select -2 then ok. After that the tempo has change but not change key.
cents mean? sir i am beginner .
any proper step to make acapella track. i watch many process but not suitable to make acapella track for me. because its need instrument part.
*When i mix always flow this step. i think this is not right process.
1. check bpm the audio file using MixMesister
2. then i use Sound Forge for editing and change the tempo.(After your suggestion i follow Semitones change if need to key change.)
3.then i worked in Orion. first, i always make bass chord. and ..........
then stream to file as wave format.
If it's Wrong. plzzzzzzzz correct me.
Mainly I worked Hard Electro and Complextro Mix. I am Wait your valuable response.
badshah
Regular

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:31 pm

badshah wrote:thank you sir. i am try this in sound forge.but face a problem i want to change the key D to c. change the key in Sound forge but MixMesister always show its original key. After that i am use http://www.008soft.com/mp3-key-changer.htm "mp3 key changer" and key has changed. Audio track description 124bpm, key d. so i am put the value in Elastique time stretch -Time Stretch option- Original Tempo 124, New tempo 132. Pitch shift Option- Semitones select -2 then ok. After that the tempo has change but not change key.

Well, that's the part where I said you should listen to the changes. But ok, seems those two work for you. You can use the MP3 Key Changer to change the key, and MixMeister for time stretching, since it apparently has that. Don't ask me how it works, I haven't worked with either of those.
cents mean? sir i am beginner .

Cents are meant for fine-tuning. Depending on the software, 10 cents is usually 1 semitone.
For example: from F to F#.
any proper step to make acapella track. i watch many process but not suitable to make acapella track for me. because its need instrument part.

No, sorry. The real, proper acapellas are released by the artists/labels themselves for remix purposes, and are nothing more than stems (exports) of vocals only (lead and backing vocals), and aren't something that you can just easily pick out from the song, since the frequency range of a human voice can span throughout the entire spectrum, though in most cases it would be narrowed down to avoid clashes with other elements of the song during the mixing proces, and by mixing I mean the process of the song production, not what DJs do.
There are some techniques that could be used to get the vocal only, though in most cases won't give satisfactory results, at least not when listened alone, since you will either be left with chunks of music that you can still hear, or a severely degraded vocal quality. If mixed with some music, though, it might work.
One of the techniques, I guess which could function to some degree is "music elimination" by using an instrumental part (without vocals) and mixing it inverted with the song that has vocals. That way, the inverted parts cancel each other out, and is supposed to leave just the vocals, at the debatable quality.
Now, if you don't have an instrumental track, you could isolate parts in the song that has music part only, but is the same one that plays with vocals. It requires quite a bit of audio editing to get the exact same parts, if they are present in the song. From there, it's same as if you had an instrumental track - invert the music part, and mix it down to the part with vocals.
*When i mix always flow this step. i think this is not right process.
1. check bpm the audio file using MixMesister
2. then i use Sound Forge for editing and change the tempo.(After your suggestion i follow Semitones change if need to key change.)
3.then i worked in Orion. first, i always make bass chord. and ..........
then stream to file as wave format.
If it's Wrong. plzzzzzzzz correct me.
Mainly I worked Hard Electro and Complextro Mix. I am Wait your valuable response.

I think it would be helpful if you could tell what is it exactly that you are trying to do. From what I gathered, it seems like you're trying to do song remixes, but that might not be the case. So if you expect from anyone to give you any advices on how to make your process better, easier and more efficient, you'll need to tell us what you're trying to do. Then we can go from there.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Re: Complextro Loop in Sampler

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:33 am

I'm gonna have to write to you here, since you disabled private messages, and I can't reply.
And just to note, I don't really know what Complextro is.

badshah wrote:sorry for disturb you. but after a long i am face this problem in sampler. we know that when we open any loop in sampler, sampler create some slice. suppose sampler crate 8 slice. My project is C5. i want to know, How C4 slice transfer to C5 slice and also change pitch. that's mean octave change. plzzzzzzzzzzzzz help.

First to clarify something.
Just because an audio file is assigned to a key, doesn't mean it is of that key. Slices in sampler are assigned just like samples in DrumRack; they start at the C4 note and move up each seminote. But the first sample is not a C key, it could be played in G, but still be placed on the C key. The key really depends on the key of an actual audio/sample, which you will know by listening (if you are trained to do so), or by using some key detection tools. You can't move those notes, nor can you play them. That only works on instruments, not so much on samples.
What you're seeing in Sampler (and DrumRack too) is just a visual representation of the samples placement, which can be used to trigger samples via your MIDI/PC keyboard, and the first slice/sample will ALWAYS be on C4 note. You can't change that. You can see sample/slice placements if you click the Range button, right next to the horizontal scrollbar in PianoRoll (in front of Events button). You will see that slice 1 is on C4, slice 2 on C#4, slice 3 on D4 and so on, even though all of them can have different key notes (slice 1 played in G, slice 2 in A, slice 3 in F#).
The point of all that is not to confuse the notes of samples/slices with the actual notes that the sample's been played in. Just because a sample is assigned to a C4 note, doesn't mean it will play in the same key as if you press C4 in Wasp, though it can if you set Wasp to match by detuning it.
So, with that said, slices will have to remain where they are, but if you need to change their tuning, you can do that in Groove Slicer by turning the Pitch control.

Well, that's basically all I can tell you from your message. Anything beyond this, you would have to tell us what is it exactly that you are trying to do.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Return to Tips'n'tricks