Recording Solo from the VST ???

Share your technical insight with beginners in this area, or pick up techniques and tricks-of-the-trade posted by seasoned Orion users.

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Recording Solo from the VST ???

Postby soulvida » Sun May 20, 2012 3:35 am

Is it possible to record the Solo from a VST instrument instead of the Mixer instrument channel ?
I'm referring to the Mute/Solo on the VST Instrument. Not writing in a solo or Mute or from the Mixer channel.
When you select the solo from the instrument the rest of a song plays for a split second so it's not a hard cut off of sound
Or is the [S]olo [M}ute option just a tool use with nothing that can be recorded ?

Never did ask about this in the early days of Orion.
It's like a crossfader type effect.

Any ideas ?
soulvida
Novice

Re: Recording Solo from the VST ???

Postby Christophe » Sun May 20, 2012 2:41 pm

no, you can't, these buttons are used to disable the sound engine
Yamaha CS-30, Roland SH-1, Roland MKS70, Focusrite Scarlett 18i6, Yamaha FS1R, Oberheim Matrix 1000, Novation Remote 37SL, Korg Legacy, Alesis M1Active 520, Novation Launchpad Pro, Push2, Intel i7-7700HQ
Christophe

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Sun May 20, 2012 8:17 pm

I think that small time you keep hearing instruments before they're cut out from the sound has something to do with latency/buffering. Personally, I think it's negligible.

As far as I'm aware, there are no parameters for Mute/Solo on playlist or the instruments' toolbars. Use Solo/Mute on the mixer if you want to record those events. You can even include them in the pattern events for easier switching if you don't want to dabble with Song Event Editor.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby V/M » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:52 am

soulvida wrote:Is it possible to record the Solo from a VST instrument instead of the Mixer instrument channel ?
I'm referring to the Mute/Solo on the VST Instrument. Not writing in a solo or Mute or from the Mixer channel.
When you select the solo from the instrument the rest of a song plays for a split second so it's not a hard cut off of sound
Or is the [S]olo [M}ute option just a tool use with nothing that can be recorded ?

Never did ask about this in the early days of Orion.
It's like a crossfader type effect.

Any ideas ?

I believe what it is doing is turning off the sending of new data from the pattern/piano-roll of that instrument to the instrument. so when you mute an instrument (or solo another) then no new data is sent from the piano roll, but it continues to play any note(s) already started for their full duration.
V/M
Professional

Postby iam7zark7 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:44 am

Yes, think of generator mute as MIDI on/off. Any midi already triggered before pressing generator mute will continue to play. Likewise, any other generators will continue to play already triggered MIDI when selecting generator solo. As previously stated, use mixer mute/solo to immediately mute/solo the output.

-7zark7
iam7zark7
Apprentice

Postby bones » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:40 am

There is no need for the instrument/Playlist Mute/Solo to be recorded. All you need to do is make a pattern that stops when you want it to stop. e.g. If you want an instrument to stop playing half-way through a pattern, make a copy of the pattern and delete the notes from the second half. This will have EXACTLY the same effect as muting it from the synth toolbar.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby iam7zark7 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:08 am

For sure. I was just explaining to him why the sound does not immediately mute if a previously triggered note has a tail. Indeed, the pattern stage is the place for this.
iam7zark7
Apprentice

Postby bones » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:03 am

And I wasn't disagreeing with that, just giving it a slightly different perspective.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby soulvida » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:31 am

Thank you all for the clarification on what is really happening.
It just sounds really cool to have some of the sounds run a little longer before the full sound is cut off.
Kinda like slapping the fader on the mixer.

Thanks.
soulvida
Novice

Return to Tips'n'tricks