Render option: insert silence

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Render option: insert silence

Postby Audinomaly » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:11 pm

More often than not, my projects end up starting immediately in the playlist. Usually it's fine, but sometimes there's an unexpected plosive/pop at the beginning of the rendered file*. Also, I frequently export a .wav to take to another program to crossmix or encode to mp3 for distribution, and I've always had weird effects arise in the first second of mp3s whose content starts instantly. Would it be possible to add a render option to insert a 1-second (or even X seconds?) silence at the beginning of rendered files? Could be in the same area as the Sampler Quality checkbox (or could even take its place? Does anyone not render in top quality any more...?)

*probably from failing to panic-stop before rendering or reloading the project entirely pre-render
Weapons-Grade Awesome: www.jacobtalkington.com
Audinomaly
Regular

Re: Render option: insert silence

Postby Kriminal » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:20 pm

I always leave first 4 bars empty as a precaution.
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby V/M » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:29 am

I always start the actual song on the 5th bar.
The first bar is a short pattern to sort of "initialize" each channel and then 3 empty bars.
The end point is always at least 8 bars past the end of the song.

I'm going to be loading the wav into Audacity, anyway.. so cutting the excess of the beginning and end is trivial.
V/M
Professional

Postby Audinomaly » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:11 pm

I use Home+space to end playback and cut off any long FX and reset arp/patterns/etc. It's handy because of the immediate (clean) stop/restart with only two keystrokes.

That said, I know I can select+drag the entire play list a few bars, but on occasion I've had timing errors introduced doing just that.
Weapons-Grade Awesome: www.jacobtalkington.com
Audinomaly
Regular

Postby bones » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:07 pm

I have never encountered anything like this and we've rendered three CD albums straight out of Orion. It seems like it must be instrument-related, rather than anything wrong in Orion, so why should Rich have to go to the trouble to play around with the render engine code just so that you don't have to have an empty bar at the start of your song? Just lasso the whole thing and move it.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby bones » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:11 pm

Hey Jacob, I forgot this was you. Are you telling me you can't afford ears? If you want your cash, PM me your PayPal account. I have spent two-and-a-half out of the last four without a job but I'm working now, so it's all good.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Return to Wishlist