Wish for Orion 9

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Re: Wish for Orion 9

Postby dmassive » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:17 am

I have classified all my VSTs into Categories and subcategories folders, this also help to save there the presets. Such level of organization is good for find something, but... is not quick, more categories, turn even slower.. A searchbox is much much faster and is not annoying. For example, you have a 24 channel and you must insert 3 plugins per channel... :cry: and remember, Orion don't have one of the the most basic thing in Windows... "drag and drop". So you can't move plugins easily between channels.
"Pleeease, bring back ORION!"
dmassive
Regular

Postby cooliadh » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:17 pm

dmassive wrote:A searchbox is much much faster and is not annoying.

It would be nice if the dropdown had at first a searchbox, then the pinned favorites and then the classic menu structure. Can not think there could be a faster workflow than that.
Orion 8.6 | DUNE | DUNE 2 | EKS Pro | Hydra | Sylenth1 | Predator | Predator 2 | Blue 2 | Windows 10 Pro | ESI Maya 44 XTE | Oxygen 8 V2 | X-Board 49 | Edirol MA-20D | Sennheiser HD 380 Pro

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4WdwS ... SQD86w25Dw
cooliadh
Apprentice

Postby bones » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:53 pm

Teksonik wrote:No it's not. If you actually used a manager you'd realize that.

Really? How does a plug-in manager decide when I haven't used a plugin for ages and it should be removed from my HDD?
I have plugins in several different folders...Sonar has it's own plugins and structure, same for Reaper. Using a plugin manager is far easier than moving plugins around manually.

Why would you need to move them around at all? All my hosts look in Orion's VST folder for plugins. If Sonar or Reaper aren't flexible enough to allow that, Orion certainly is so just point it at the others' VST folder(s).
See the screenshot....that took me less than five minutes

I reckon it would only be two minutes work in Explorer.
... but we aren't you

No, unlike me, you clearly need all the help you can get (and you don't know what an ellipsis is). I'd also point out that I've made around 40 VSTi over the years, which definitely requires at least some wrangling. I'm just organised enough that it doesn't become a problem. And it's even worse for me because not only do I have my own plugins to wrangle, I have a band-mate who has a completely different set of plugins, instruments and effects, that I have to deal with as well. And he uses everything he can find, many of which I don't even have a license for.
And no I'm not moving .dlls and creating manual folders etc.

But you'll happily go through almost exactly the same process inside a plugin manager. Strange.
Ahhh yes Bones back in feature crushing mode again...all is well in Orion land......... :lol: 20 Programmers, hilarious. :lol: How little faith you have in Rich..........

Yeah, right, because Rich has shown how much he loves to add things that don't involve any DSP programming, hasn't he? You really need to live in the real world.
Teksonik wrote:As for custom key bindings maybe you missed this:
Teksonik wrote:. For example in other hosts I've got my mouse back/forward buttons programmed to open the load Templates screen and Insert New Plugin. I've got the number pad programmed to view Mixer, Track View, Piano Roll etc....insert new item, set loop length etc etc......very efficient instead of searching the qwerty keyboard for hard wired key shortcuts.......
True, other hosts benefit more from key bindings but it's because they are more complex and have more options to control.......... :wink:

No, I saw that - you made a key binding to make it as easy to "Insert New Plugin" in some other host as it is natively in Orion, hence my comment. I'd also caution against confusing complexity with ability. They way you put it, it sounds like you think complexity is a good thing, which could not be further from the truth.
dmassive wrote:I have classified all my VSTs into Categories and subcategories folders, this also help to save there the presets. Such level of organization is good for find something, but... is not quick, more categories, turn even slower.

So find a more efficient way to do it. e.g. Instead of categorising by type, try something like "most used", "less used" "haven't used for ages" and "I really should delete all these but I can't bring myself to do it for some inexplicable reason".
A searchbox is much much faster and is not annoying.

Oh, no, it would be as annoying as hell. First, it would have to go somewhere, taking up precious screen real estate. Then I'd have to switch to the keyboard, which is annoying if I'm standing in front of my keyboard stand.
For example, you have a 24 channel and you must insert 3 plugins per channel... :cry: and remember, Orion don't have one of the the most basic thing in Windows... "drag and drop". So you can't move plugins easily between channels.

I hate D'n'D, it's like finger-painting - very unprofessional. In any event, moving an effect from one channel to another is as simple as right-clicking and picking which effect you want, way easier than the vagaries of D'n'D.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby heks » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:30 pm

cooliadh wrote:It would be nice if the dropdown had at first a searchbox, then the pinned favorites and then the classic menu structure. Can not think there could be a faster workflow than that.

That's sort of what I had in mind, wish I'd phrased it like you have cooliadh. :)
heks
Apprentice

Postby dmassive » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:02 pm

bones wrote:Oh, no, it would be as annoying as hell. First, it would have to go somewhere, taking up precious screen real estate. Then I'd have to switch to the keyboard, which is annoying if I'm standing in front of my keyboard stand.

Download Cubase, you can get a free demo from steinberg website. Look how easy is to "insert" plugins, no matters how many do you have. But this not a Cubase property... is not a crazy idea, is a common standard use of this... for example google.com search box.
"Pleeease, bring back ORION!"
dmassive
Regular

Postby Teksonik » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:10 am

bones wrote:Really? How does a plug-in manager decide when I haven't used a plugin for ages and it should be removed from my HDD?

Come on Bones that's the best you can do ? You really just don't have the same edge you used to.....:lol:
Obviously if I need to permanently remove a plugin I'd do it just like you would but If I want to keep it installed for older projects but don't plan on using it anymore I simply remove it from my custom lists so it doesn't display anymore.

bones wrote:Orion certainly is so just point it at the others' VST folder(s).

Thank you providing me the perfect example of why I want a plugin manager in Orion. Sonar installs it's plugins in a default folder. Some of those plugins can be used outside of Sonar and some can't but if I point Orion to that folder it will display them all even the ones that can't be used. In Reaper I simply exclude those plugins that can't be used from my custom lists. But we had this same discussion years ago........and you still don't get it..........

bones wrote: (you don't know what an ellipsis is).

Certainly I do but in this case the dots serve as a pause in speech.....in order to give the reader time for a point to sink in....but in your case it would take an infinite number of dots because it's just never going to sink in .... :lol:

bones wrote: I have a band-mate who has a completely different set of plugins, instruments and effects, that I have to deal with as well.

Another perfect example. Each of you can have your own custom lists.....so you don't have to deal with his plugins and he can have them at his disposal. You can even have custom lists for each type of project. I only use certain plugins when I record guitar......and certain others when I'm doing synth stuff........custom lists for each. Very handy.

bones wrote:But you'll happily go through almost exactly the same process inside a plugin manager. Strange.

No, what's strange is that you still don't get that it's not almost exactly the same process. Remember moving some plugins around can break copy protections, links to samples/presets etc.

Ok I'll check back in with you in another 5 years and we'll go over it all again........... :lol:

Like I said it's not my number one feature request. I think that would be something I probably wouldn't use much but can understand that others would and that's what Krim mentioned the other day. Time Stretch. It's the one thing I think that would attract new users to Orion and probably the one thing that's kept people away more than any other (before you trot out the same "quality" argument seem Krim's post in the beta forum).........G'day............. :)
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Merlin » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:27 am

Hi,

some years ago I have allready posted some important feature requests for the next Orion.

Here some links for Richard and people in beta-forum:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9502&p=97883#p97883
Re: Wishlist 2012 - Wishes only! (Sticky)
Hi, the wishes I have: 1. Arrange-Window: Insert Loop-Space and all the right patterns are to the right. Delete Loop-Space and all right patterns are moved to left. 2. New own (splitted) Pattern-Window: This could have the possibilty of choosing MIDI-Channels from track without opening a Vsti GUI. S...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10638&p=105531#p105531
Recording several tracks at once

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9169&p=94296#p94296
Mixer- and MIDI-Ch from track view

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9060&p=93542#p93542
Copying some patterns at once

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8750&p=91363#p91363
Sizing Navigation Bar

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8713&p=91155#p91155
MIDI Channel: "ALL"

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8664&p=90774#p90774
Choosing MIDI channel from arrange view

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8652&p=90692#p90692
Playing more generators

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8608&p=90372#p90372
Selection tool in arrange window

Storable Piono-Rolls,
Recallable Position-Markers in Arrange-View ( via Shortcuts or buttons ) etc.......

Hopefully some or all will be realised.......
Merlin
Regular

Postby kmatm » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:06 pm

Bring back the Right Click -> Delete All Patterns!

* Or, even better, a Global 'Delete All Patterns'.

I used one track as the base for another all the time.
kmatm
Apprentice

Postby funky koval » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:21 pm

I just wish there was some movement on the song automation front. For anyone that uses song automation extensively(like I do) it's pitiful to work with at the moment.
funky koval
Regular

Postby RaymanSorra » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:33 pm

RaymanSorra
Novice

Previous

Return to Wishlist