Orion 9 Wishlist 2014

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Re: Orion 9 Wishlist 2014

Postby Suonoecomputer » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:39 pm

The idea of dmassive I think is good. Maybe throwing Orion as Open Source application can stimulate the curiosity of programmers who develop software for passion and therefore could help Richard to add pieces to the puzzle of Orion .. Even the idea of entering the Linux world can help .. maybe adding the option donations .. :roll:
Suonoecomputer
Regular

Postby Solid Technica » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:53 pm

Speaking of donations. I'd be willing to donate 1000 dollars to Richard! Maybe if a lot of the loyal customer base decide to pitch in, we can 'convince' Rich developing Orion is 'worth' developing. Plus the cost for upgrades. Or scrape Orion, keep its code and develop it further as a new product! I would buy it again in a split second. This time though, right from the outset, promote it as it deserves. There is a huge base for pattern base sequencers. Just look at all the Fl Studio users. I'm sure its possible to appeal to a lot of them into owning another one. Even a similar Daw with a different gui than fl studio is interesting to me. I can't stand fl studio gui!

Open source would be ideal too though than Orion just being left as is! I really hope someone can pick up from Orion where Richard left off and not just scrape the code for whatever usuable parts.
Solid Technica
Regular

Postby Suonoecomputer » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:37 pm

Even I do not like the GUI of FL Studio :lol:
Suonoecomputer
Regular

Postby funky koval » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:48 pm

Well we all kind of knew this was coming. I guess I'm not going to see the revamped automation system I always wanted. There are alternatives worth looking into these days though. I'm gonna have to take a look at the wig that was bit :mrgreen: or maybe Live.
funky koval
Regular

Postby Solid Technica » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:42 pm

But how many pattern based alternatives? FL studio is the only real contender there. I still think there is an open spot in the market that Orion can fill. Aside from that Studio One is the only other DAW that caught my eye. But I have way too many unfinished tracks that need to be completed in Orion. Over a hundred!!! I will be using it for a few years more to come still no matter what :lol: Richard, please please at the very least can you fix the lasso/paint bug. I come across it constantly. Otherwise I'd have to go back to 8.5 and loose the freeze function and still be introduced to the pattern automation bug via the mixer.
Solid Technica
Regular

Postby Teksonik » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:35 am

Orion is the only sequencer that I've ever used that has true Pattern Per Generator workflow. I own FL but it's workflow has become a mess and with version 12 it will only get worse. You can sort of get pattern per generator in FL but it's very clunky and inefficient.

I still think it would be a good idea to see if Justin Frankel would be interested in Orion. A hybrid of Reaper and Orion would be very hard to beat............. :wink:
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby balistic » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:46 am

Sad to hear about the demise of Orion, but I do understand the economic considerations. I've seen what happens to complex software packages when they remain on the market for longer than their makers can effectively support them, and it's never a pretty picture.

Like Solid Technica I've got dozens and dozens of unfinished tracks to keep me busy for the next few years, so I'll probably not need to look for a replacement right away.

Thanks for all the hard work over the years, Richard.
Brian "balistic" Prince
positive.future.funk
balistic
Regular

Postby funky koval » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:40 am

Yeah no doubt, it's a wonderful piece of software(warts and all). Used it for over a decade now. Big thanks to Synapse Audio.
funky koval
Regular

Postby Solid Technica » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:33 am

Yes, I believe Orion could be the biggest contender in the pattern based Daw's with some more updates and enhancements. Orion is also probably the most suited DAW in the touch screen department as well which is an ever growing market with tablets etc.
Solid Technica
Regular

Postby Suonoecomputer » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:22 am

Even the idea of Teksonic is good in my opinion. As an alternative to an open source version you can ask a programmer who works for other daw .. Reaper is interesting, I also saw that MuLab updated its version 6.2. I also saw Renoise but already works differently. There would also be the Podium Zinewave .. The problem lies in the programmers if they accept the idea of importing in their DAW shares of Orion .. Definitely would come into a small percentage .. 40-60% or 30-70%, however, would help not to Orion die ..
Suonoecomputer
Regular

Postby Vitaly » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:52 pm

Whatever it was, Orion is my guide into the world of creation of electronic music.
With regard to the opening of the code, I think it's questionable idea. There is a great likelihood that the program will be a short-term exercise equipment, and nothing more. A very small percentage that will appear a person who will be the really live this program and to conduct systematic work on creation rather than destruction. Until then, I would have wished that the program remained in that it is in version 8.5. It's just my opinion. Thank you very much.
Do not twist the handle, if you do not know why you need it!

https://soundcloud.com/vitaly_semenov_semjem
Vitaly
Regular

Postby Christophe » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:07 pm

energyXT and ableton are alternative too
Yamaha CS-30, Roland SH-1, Roland MKS70, Focusrite Scarlett 18i6, Yamaha FS1R, Oberheim Matrix 1000, Novation Remote 37SL, Korg Legacy, Alesis M1Active 520, Novation Launchpad Pro, Push2, Intel i7-7700HQ
Christophe

Postby Solid Technica » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:43 pm

Depending on what Richard wants to do, open sourcing may not be an option. He did mention another sequencer was in the works and I'd assume he'd still use some of the Orion code. It would be nice if another Daw developer had in mind to buy Orion code and continue to work in it, like presonus. In fact I'd be happy if it was being worked on by any developer, won't be picky there. I would probably moreso like to see a fan of Orion continue it and not necessarily from a big daw developer. Is there anyone reading this who can write code for Daws? :roll: I would be the first to ask around myself but I wouldn't do that until we knew what Richards intentions are for Orion!
Solid Technica
Regular

Postby Kriminal » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:24 pm

Why would another dev want to keep a host going if it doesnt sell? Bad business.

its a shame for current users who will never get bugs fixed and have to learn a new host..... A shame for synapse too. Whatever new seq they come up with will face stiff comp, and who's going to buy a new product from a company with a poor support record?
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Solid Technica » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:04 pm

A better question would be why doesn't Orion sell? Lack of updates, support, and no development on it for three years.. How was it selling 4 or 5 years ago? There could be a few reasons to be interested in Orion from a developers point. One its a mostly completed project and one wouldn't have to start from scratch. Two, hopefully there are interested in Orion as an awesome daw to begin with. Three they have a development team and marketing strategist working for them so they could potential see higher earnings.
Solid Technica
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Wishlist