Orion 9 Wishlist 2014

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Orion 9 Wishlist 2014

Postby Solid Technica » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:10 am

Hello everyone in Orion Land! I am very happy to be able to join this community. To me there is no better DAW than Orion for its ultra fast, uncluttered, workflow. It is quite simply the easiest program to use. That said there are still some things I would personally love to see added to Orion for future updates and I would like to share some of the ones I've thought of. Whenever I come across a feature I'd like to see to improve workflow etc, I always open up a "Orion Wishlist" document that I've kept on my hard drive for quite awhile and add it to the list and over time it grew to be this list. Since Dune II has been released I suppose now would be a good time to share them as I hope Orion development is now being focused on.

1. For the Sampler I would like to see some portamento options such as legato etc if possible.

2. Also for the sampler I would like to be able to add a sample that automatically opens the most appropiate length of the sample in the piano roll based on settings on a factor of 16, so it'd either be 16-32-48 etc. Say I have a drumloop that runs for two bars at tempo 140, I would like to be able to open this sample into the sampler without having to manually set the piano roll length to two bars etc. This is very handy when working with lots of samples and especially really long samples where I'm not sure what the length is. Also a right click on sample and slice to most appropriate length would also be handy.

3. Option to save missing vsti'/vst option with song file after opening it. Say a vsti is missing on hard drive and once I open
the sfs then save it again Orion doesn't look for the vsti again, it just loads the sampler. Would like the option to look for vsti even after I save it again if possible.

4. Option to have window playlist at the top of the song playlist window view-able or not, if lots of vsti's are open this window takes up lots of valuable screen space. (Option already available - thanks Teksonik)

5. Select pattern in piano roll and select insert in new pattern and it will past at begging of selection. Say I have a melody that's 32 bars and I want to select bars 24-28, if I select them and copy them, go to new pattern and paste, it pastes the patterns at bar 24-28 while still keeping the one bar loop, So I have to manually insert the length to at least 29 bars to be able to grab the patterns, then manually drag them all the way to beginning. I would Orion to manually do this for me if possible or at least the option to?

6. Merge patterns should also merge the automation's.

7. Remember note length using the piano roll or when you click on a note it will write that as the next note length for you.

8. Save mixer settings snaphots. I like to experiment to different settings in the mixer and usually I'd have to save them as a new song file but if I could save and select the settings this would be really awesome :drool: Reaper has this and Studio One is working on it.

9. Copy event editor automation's option when cloning a track.

10. This one is a huge wishlist request that if ignored all others I'd be okay if this got implemented:
Add only solo'd instruments options to pattern playlist. When working in pattern mode it would add all the instruments to song playlist so I'd have to manually remove the ones I'm not soloing to 'preserve' the pattern so to speak.

11. Save lfo presets

12. Pattern mode selection lfo or event automation's. Currently there is no way to highlight a selection of automation in pattern mode to copy and paste or to use the lfo. I would like to use lfo only on some steps in patterns mode and not the entire length of pattern.

13. Another crucial one for me is to add all patterns to playlist option. If I have all the patterns filled from A-H, I would like a fast method to be able to copy all the piano roll patterns at once to the song playlist. I come across this issue many times and its something I think alot of users would appreciate. I know I would. Also it would be also really good if I could add all patterns to playlist with a specified space between each added pattern, that way if I wanted to build a longer song arrangement per pattern I would be able to. Or maybe an option like add all patterns to playlist at 4 or 8 bars option. Please, please, Add all patterns to song playlist options via 4,8,16,32 bar options.

14. Another really big one.. When working in pattern mode and add to song playlist I would like Orion to memorize all the parameters of the vsti and add it to the song playlist mode. Similar to say when you want to automate say the cutoff and you open the event editor window, Orion shows you the red line as to where the cutoff is at right now so you can start drawing where its playing at right away without having to manually find the location. This is really cool function I think many people would enjoy. For instance Say I'm working on a pattern and I really like it, I add to song playlist to preserve the cool part I'm working on. But I'm greedy and I want to add some other changes to the vsti parameters like maybe different cutoff, res, oscillators higher or lower, or envelopes settings etc and then come up with something cool for same part but with different settings, I then add to playlist. However for the previous add to playlist will now also be playing the same settings. I would like to preserve the other state and the latest state. Does this make sense. So in a way Its like saving Pattern mode snapshots of the vsti's settings etc.

15. Docked Windows for Playlist and Automations and snap to functions like windows 7 implemented.

16. An effect that shows peak amplitude levels so you can invert them and use as side chain of filter similar to fruitypeak controller but with ability to manually draw different settings.

17. Snap to Grid Automations in event editor and pattern mode window.

18. View Automations in Song Playlist Mode Option. I don't always want to see them but would be nice to be able to when workflow demands it.

19. Arpeggiator that changes the notes in the piano roll or even other options to tweak the existing melody such as invert.

20. Group tracks into a folder for playlist upkeep.

Thats all for right now. Will probably add a few more here and there. Thanks for reading and looking forward to discussing them :D Let me know if you think any of them are a good idea and hopefully Richard will read them to and have interest grow. Thanks so much for reading and I'm glad to be here. :mrgreen: :dance:

All the best,

Tim
Last edited by Solid Technica on Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
Solid Technica
Regular

Re: Orion 9 Wishlist

Postby Teksonik » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:40 am

Nice list and welcome to the forums. It's always good to see new blood here. :)

Quite a bit to take in at one time but I wanted to ask about this one:

Solid Technica wrote:4. Option to have window playlist at the top of the song playlist window view-able or not, if lots of vsti's are open this window takes up lots of valuable screen space.

Not sure what you're talking about....can you elaborate please ?

Solid Technica wrote:Thanks for reading and looking forward to discussing them :D

Just be aware that the "discussions" can get a little heated when it comes to feature requests....not from Rich or Marcin who write the code but from the user base. Be prepared to defend your requests but in the end it's only Rich and Marcin you have to convince that your ideas are worth implementing. Good luck and hopefully at least some of your requests will make it into future versions of Orion. :)
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Solid Technica » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:14 am

Teksonik wrote:
Quite a bit to take in at one time but I wanted to ask about this one:

Solid Technica wrote:4. Option to have window playlist at the top of the song playlist window view-able or not, if lots of vsti's are open this window takes up lots of valuable screen space.

Not sure what you're talking about....can you elaborate please ?

Orion1.png

The area highlighted in yellow was the section of the playlist I was refering to. Sorry if a little confusing, if there is anything else you would like me to clarify please let me know.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Solid Technica
Regular

Postby Teksonik » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:22 am

Ahh I see.......you can turn that off by going to the Playlist configuration and de-selecting "Show Navigation Bar".........

I never use it............... :)
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby dmassive » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:32 am

Welcome...

My favourites...

10. I have created a thread for a similar behaviour. Add solo or not muted channels patterns will be awesome. I always work in pattern mode so, that will be very helpful.

18. I make a workaround using MIDIOUTs to show automations (or at least see that is an automation there) on playlist. But is very unfriendly at first. Automations in Orion are good, but the problem, is the location. Song automations must be showed or edited in playlist.

20. This is another "must have" thing I think, is very annoying when you have a lot of channels.
Last edited by dmassive on Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Pleeease, bring back ORION!"
dmassive
Regular

Postby Solid Technica » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:34 am

Teksonik wrote:Ahh I see.......you can turn that off by going to the Playlist configuration and de-selecting "Show Navigation Bar".........

I never use it............... :)

That's good to know :) Thanks Teksonik :mrgreen:
Last edited by Solid Technica on Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Solid Technica
Regular

Postby Solid Technica » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:01 pm

dmassive wrote:
10. I have created a thread for a similar behaviour. Add solo or not muted channels patterns will be awesome. I always work in pattern mode so, that will be very helpful.

What do you think of #14? It has to do with the 'add only solo'd patterns to playlist' option but with a little twist.

Another idea along these lines would be to lock a portion of the playlist into place so even if I mess with the vsti's parameters in another portion of the song or in pattern mode, it won't affect the region of the playlist with the lock enabled, thus preserving the pattern mode's settings. This would be a good option if many of the same instruments are used in other parts and instead of using loads of automation in the song playlist you could dial in another setting in pattern mode then add to playlist again.
Solid Technica
Regular

Postby Solid Technica » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:35 pm

Was just messing around with Studio One again and would really like it if Orion could also draw automation shapes for event editor in song or pattern mode instead of using the lfo.Speed can be determined by zoom amount or match with grid settings. This is a really neat tool I would love to see implemented in Orion :mrgreen:

All the best

Tim
Solid Technica
Regular

Postby Solid Technica » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:22 am

@dmassive, just read your 'bring back the bass compressor' signature and stumbled on a workaround. Open up an older sfs file of Orion that used bass compressor. Then delete everything except bass compressor. Then save as template. Now you can insert the bass compressor, lol.
Solid Technica
Regular

Postby dmassive » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:05 am

Solid Technica wrote:@dmassive, just read your 'bring back the bass compressor' signature and stumbled on a workaround. Open up an older sfs file of Orion that used bass compressor. Then delete everything except bass compressor. Then save as template. Now you can insert the bass compressor, lol.

Yes, I have it as a template :) Thanks anyways for take your time. About the Bass Compressor, is an extreme powerful FX, a little monster, you can use it everywhere and make magic in one second, always sounds perfect, my number #1 Orion FX. But, because is discontinued, have some things to fix it, so, in new projects I try to replace it with third party plugins, but of course it takes more than one second :|
"Pleeease, bring back ORION!"
dmassive
Regular

Postby Solid Technica » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:54 pm

Another one would be a freezing mechanism if possible. I know this isn't highly on the to do list but after using it alot in other daws it comes in handy from time to time, also undo freeze and revert back to 'instrument' mode would be nice too.

On another note I am curious to know if Orion is or will be worked on in the near future or if it will still be sidetracked for other projects. Is it discontinued?
Solid Technica
Regular

Postby Kriminal » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:11 pm

Freeze has been in the current beta for.... 2 years?

To answer you second question.... no idea
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Solid Technica » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:51 pm

Wow! 2 years :shock: I'm glad it's being worked on though! Hopefully it'll be included in the next update. Also read awhile back a time stretch feature won't be added because Rich couldn't find any good algorithms or what not. Is this still the case? Would be nice to auto sync bpm samples via audio tracks...
Solid Technica
Regular

Re: Orion 9 Wishlist 2014

Postby ufo » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:50 am

Perhaps if he is still not happy with the quality he could add it as dirty time stretch or something similar.
---=u f o=--- /Radiation Mutant / Snee-Nee-Iq
ufo
Elite Producer

Re: Orion 9 Wishlist 2014

Postby Mark » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:30 pm

ufo wrote:Perhaps if he is still not happy with the quality he could add it as dirty time stretch or something similar.

This!
Mark

Next

Return to Wishlist