Orion 9 Wishlist 2014

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Re: Orion 9 Wishlist 2014

Postby dmassive » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:00 pm

I think Orion will be back, but into another product, so ideas maybe are welcome. :D
"Pleeease, bring back ORION!"
dmassive
Regular

Postby Teksonik » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:49 am

I don't think there are any shortage of ideas it's time that seems to be short. But it can't hurt to post here. The worst that can happen is nothing.......... :wink:
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby appoappo » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:56 pm

Richard wrote:
weekendwarrior wrote:Guys when is orion coming out??? An update or something ?

We're not developing Orion "as it is" beyond version 8.6, so that's the last update for now. [...]As professional developers we can't afford to ignore 95% of our userbase in favor of the 5% or less using Orion. Of course that sucks since we love Orion and use it every single day, but we have to accept the reality as it is, not as we'd like it to be.

Note that we do have plans for a new sequencer, but that'll take quite some time for sure.

Hello Richard,

Why don't you lanch a crowdfunding campaign for the New Orion ?
appoappo
Novice

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:25 pm

appoappo wrote:Why don't you lanch a crowdfunding campaign for the New Orion ?

Because that wouldn't solve the time problem - time they could spend fixing existing synths and developing new ones.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby Solid Technica » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:03 pm

Maybe get a fund going and once it reached 5k, it could be used for advertising orion. Maybe on the basis that once that level is reached Richard would agree to develop version 9. From there some trusted people could do the advertising for him, make videos, press releases, posting links. Is even this number too small. Would it take 50k? more? I'd throw down 1 g for the chance that a big developement could happen for orion and maybe it can catch on again. I'd market entirely the touch screen and ipad crowd because orion could, very easily, be the easiest most power touch screen daw out there because of its ease of use and unconvoluted workflow. It has a lot of potential there I think...

Surely though, a few people with quickness will immediately shoot down this idea, and any idea, and start singing the same hopeless tune for orion :roll: 3.2.1.....
Solid Technica
Regular

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:23 am

Sorry to be the first one, but hopeless tune or not, that's a reality.

Even if the development continued, Orion wouldn't "catch on". Why? It would still compete against the likes of Live, Studio One, FL Studio, Logic, Bitwig, Cubase, and so on... too many of them, all being developed exactly to the tastes and needs of people (which is why an enormous amount of people are using them), with more features (and ironically lacking exactly the things makes me flee from them), and, I suppose most importantly, frequent updates. Because of that, Orion's userbase is, and would be remain relatively small in comparison. I mean, Orion got featured in magazines, got praised, and then quickly forgotten among the pages. It's sad, but it's true. People just aren't interested in it, and continuing the development at this point really makes little sense... other than for sentimental reasons. Frankly, I don't even think it's that much about money. It's more about time. Richard and Marcin simply have no time to devote to developing something with the smallest number of their userbase. That, in addition to an over a decade old code that's becoming more and more complex to maintain, let alone add something to it, are pretty much the reasons why it's been dropped.

What Orion needs is a fresh start, and maybe more hands on it, coupled with some proven and tested ideas.
I think that would be da bomb!
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby Teksonik » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:58 am

Solid Technica wrote:I'd throw down 1 g for the chance that a big developement could happen for orion

You made that same offer one year and ten days ago............

Solid Technica wrote:I'd be willing to donate 1000 dollars to Richard!

Hasn't made a difference.......... :?

Take that thousand dollars, buy a new DAW and move on. :wink:
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby bones » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:04 am

Or just keep using Orion the way it is. I could use it for another 100 years in it's current state and never run out of new things to try. If it works for you now, why not keep using it until it doesn't work any more? It has all the features you could want or need (plus a thousand you won't) so who cares whether it gets further development or not?
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby Teksonik » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:37 am

bones wrote: It has all the features you could want or need (plus a thousand you won't)

Hyperbole
hy·per·bo·le
hīˈpərbəlē/
noun
Exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.
synonyms:exaggeration, overstatement, magnification, embroidery, embellishment, excess, overkill, rhetoric
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Kriminal » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:44 am

You should always buy stuff for what it does now, not what it might do in the future.
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby bones » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:06 am

Teksonik wrote:
bones wrote: It has all the features you could want or need (plus a thousand you won't)

Hyperbole
hy·per·bo·le
hīˈpərbəlē/
noun
Exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.
synonyms:exaggeration, overstatement, magnification, embroidery, embellishment, excess, overkill, rhetoric

Fine, then. Name one it doesn't that anyone might actually NEED.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby Teksonik » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:34 am

Anyone or you ? You have already made it clear that Orion's development could have stopped a decade ago and you wouldn't have cared. But not everyone is stuck ten years in the past. So no matter what I name you're going to say it's not needed......

Let's ask all the people who didn't buy Orion over the last 15 years what it's missing.

Elastique........ :wink:

Now it's your turn....name the "thousand features" Orion has that no one will never want or need.......... :lol:
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Kriminal » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:05 am

Pointless thread. Orion is dead. Get over it, move on.
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Teksonik » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:54 pm

Kriminal wrote:Orion is dead. Get over it, move on.

That is my point. Move on....or don't.... but either way it's a personal choice. I won't ever delete Orion but I also won't start any new projects in it either. Orion already has problems with some of my favorite plugins and I imagine over time it will continue to have new issues as everything around it changes. I don't blame Synapse one bit for not developing Orion any further as I would have made the same decision. But on the other hand no one can blame us for making the decision to move on and away from a DAW that has no future and despite the hyperbolic claims of one user still lacks useful features. :wink:
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby heks » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:31 am

Teksonik wrote:
Kriminal wrote:Orion is dead. Get over it, move on.

I won't ever delete Orion but I also won't start any new projects in it either. Orion already has problems with some of my favorite plugins and I imagine over time it will continue to have new issues as everything around it changes. I don't blame Synapse one bit for not developing Orion any further as I would have made the same decision. But on the other hand no one can blame us for making the decision to move on and away from a DAW that has no future and despite the hyperbolic claims of one user still lacks useful features. :wink:

I totally agree Tek. All I want now is a stable Orion that will load all the current pluggins that I own ( they open in the other 5 DAW's I own). Not bothered about future pluggins, I'll just put them in a new folder that Orion can't see. That pluggin checker has been a pain in the backside for ever.
I'd settle for being able to open Orion (64bit) and stream to wave or as midi tracks to work on in a "maintained" DAW . :|
heks
Apprentice

PreviousNext

Return to Wishlist