Polyphonic Aftertouch!

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Polyphonic Aftertouch!

Postby Cinebient » Tue May 26, 2015 3:30 pm

Will we ever see polyphonic aftertouch in Dune 2? Please! That's it for today :D
Cinebient
Regular

Re: Polyphonic Aftertouch!

Postby Teksonik » Wed May 27, 2015 12:24 am

Do you own a controller keyboard that transmits Poly AT ? My Ensoniq VFX does but I've never developed the technique to play a Poly AT keyboard with any effectiveness......
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Cinebient » Wed May 27, 2015 1:30 pm

Yes, most of my 10 buck iPad synths can do polyphonic aftertouch (and/or polyphonic glide and pitchbend too). I can use them as midi controller as well. Also my cheap masterkeyboard samson graphite 49 can do it. For me it's a "normal" feature which every modern synth should support. I always wonder why some huge desktop synths lacks such expressive features while it seems possible with some of my iPad synths. I'm missing something here. Today a keyboard is not the only way to trigger midi :D. If i could play a synth like Dune 2 like Animoog.... that would be great. I'm still new to music in general but i think that in the desktop world is not much innovation to find compared to some tiny apps. I'm not talking about quality of sound, filters, FX etc. but the way you can edit, modulate and interact with your sounds. It's 2015! But what do i know :lol:
Cinebient
Regular

Postby Teksonik » Wed May 27, 2015 1:48 pm

Cinebient wrote: Also my cheap masterkeyboard samson graphite 49 can do it.

Your Samson Keyboard has Channel Aftertouch not Polyphonic Aftertouch. Very few if any low end controllers have Poly AT..............

Even the Pads send Channel AT:

"When you press a pad, and continue to press it, the pad will send a
channel aftertouch message depending on how hard you press the pad".

I agree that allowing Poly AT as a Mod Source in DUNE 2 wouldn't be a bad idea (I assume the current Mod Source of ATouch refers to Channel AT) but I don't think PolyAT is something that a lot of people will use. It also may not be that easy of a feature to implement in a complex synth like DUNE 2 but only Rich and Marcin would know that for sure.............
Last edited by Teksonik on Wed May 27, 2015 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Cinebient » Wed May 27, 2015 2:08 pm

Ah well, you see i'm a noob.... but some of my iPad midi controllers can def. do it. But then i wonder also about lack of LfO and some other things. And polyphonic glide (and also pitchbend) is another thing i miss. Or i'm just to dumb to find it. In this case i'm sorry. The reason i would like to have some more things in Dune 2 (wave editor, more LFO and and and.....) is why i really love the sound of it. I think it's one of the best sounding synths i used so far. I just hope to see some additional things instead of a bunch of another EDM patch bank :)
Cinebient
Regular

Postby Teksonik » Wed May 27, 2015 2:19 pm

Does the iPad actually send Poly AT via USB ? I wonder what the resolution is ? Does it send the full 0-127 range at full resolution or does it send say 10,20,30,40, etc ? I wonder how sensitive and accurate pushing on a glass surface can be ?
Anyway like I said even though I do have a keyboard that sends Poly AT I've never developed the skill and technique of applying different pressure with different fingers in a controlled way. It's not as easy as it sounds.......at least to me it's not.

But like I said I would vote for Poly AT as a Mod Source even though I probably wouldn't use it much. Can't hurt to have it listed.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Cinebient » Wed May 27, 2015 2:36 pm

F.e. You can use the Nave blades (from the iPad version) as midi controller and can assign polyphonic XY movements to it. So you don't need pressure to use it. Since a while it's also possible to connect the iPad over USB and use it just as midi controller like a masterkeyboard. Of course it depends of the app what you can do and how good it works. In general iOS and Logic Pro X which i use is a bit buggy. I hope to see some improvements here to. Also as a non-keyboard player i love to use apps like ThumbJam to control/play some of my desktop tools. It's just sometimes boring to use my huge synths compared to my tiny apps which costs a few bucks and can sometimes even do more. Mmhhhh what about a Dune 2 iPad version?..... :mrgreen:
Cinebient
Regular

Postby Teksonik » Wed May 27, 2015 2:44 pm

Cinebient wrote:So you don't need pressure to use it.

But Aftertouch is Pressure so that doesn't answer the question..................
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Cinebient » Wed May 27, 2015 2:53 pm

Maybe but in a touch based form i can use any movements of my finger after i hit a key as aftertouch. And i can do it polyphony too and the same works with velocity on touch devices. When i hit the virtual key more up or down i can "emulate" the velocity. Indeed with some apps i can also use moving the device for tremolo and vibrato etc. I just mean i have more dimensions to express a sound. I also think this will evolve even more in the future. It's like a linnstrument or continuum harken kind of control. I just want to control synths like Dune 2, Omnisphere etc. this way.
Cinebient
Regular

Postby Teksonik » Wed May 27, 2015 6:36 pm

Sounds like a gimmick to me but whatever turns you on. Maybe PolyAT will be added to a future version of DUNE 2.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Cinebient » Wed May 27, 2015 7:25 pm

Just a gimmick for some people and brilliant for some others. Playing Animoog can be so much fun :D Most important we should have fun to create music and i'm happy to use booth things. :dudelsack: :music:
Cinebient
Regular

Postby Kriminal » Wed May 27, 2015 8:54 pm

I think it might be too cpu intensive...
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Teksonik » Thu May 28, 2015 1:07 am

Cinebient wrote: brilliant for some others

Ok so if DUNE 2 supported Poly AT right now how would you use it ?
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Teksonik » Thu May 28, 2015 1:12 am

Kriminal wrote:I think it might be too cpu intensive...

I don't have access to the Beta Forum from this computer so I can't check to see if the subject was ever brought up before.

I won't be home until tomorrow and I'll check then to be sure but I think Alchemy supports Poly AT and maybe Predator ?

It may very well not be practical in DUNE because of the multi-voice architecture. Maybe Rich or Marcin will comment.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Cinebient » Thu May 28, 2015 5:42 am

I could use it for per note modulation f.e. Since the lfo and mseg are polyphonic i could do something with it. You can do a lot via automation but often i find live performances a lot better. I do such gimmicks right now with apps like Mitosynth where i play notes and each note has it's own modulation and i can perform this modulation live in a polyphonic way. I also can change the velocity after i hit a key for each voice. Hard to do it with more than 4 voices but that's enough to bring more life into static sounds.

Alchemy can do polyphonic aftertouch. Zebra (and most of the other u-he synths too i think) and a few other too.
Cinebient
Regular

Next

Return to Wishlist