Dune 2 Release Velocity

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Dune 2 Release Velocity

Postby stubbsonic » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:24 am

Thought I'd put this in its own thread. Do the developers read these?

RELEASE VELOCITY is great for controlling release times. It makes playing feel quite expressive. A fast release and the note cuts off quickly, a slow release and the note fades more slowly. It's really nice feeling/sounding.

The other thing is when a note is triggered by a key-up, to be able to control the volume of that key-up sound. I think in Dune 2, the MSEGs can be triggered by the key-up. So if release velocity was in the source list, it could be combined with the MSEG's to create useable and expressive key-up events.
stubbsonic
Novice

Re: Dune 2 Release Velocity

Postby Kriminal » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:55 am

stubbsonic wrote:Thought I'd put this in its own thread. Do the developers read these?

Apparently not.

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Richard » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:46 pm

stubbsonic wrote:Thought I'd put this in its own thread. Do the developers read these?

Sure - that's the purpose of this sub-forum :) We just may not always get around to reply to or discuss wishes.

stubbsonic wrote:RELEASE VELOCITY is great for controlling release times. It makes playing feel quite expressive. A fast release and the note cuts off quickly, a slow release and the note fades more slowly. It's really nice feeling/sounding.

The other thing is when a note is triggered by a key-up, to be able to control the volume of that key-up sound. I think in Dune 2, the MSEGs can be triggered by the key-up. So if release velocity was in the source list, it could be combined with the MSEG's to create useable and expressive key-up events.

Yeah that would be great! The only issue with Release Velocity is that not every keyboard seems to support it. The support may not be as rare as with poly aftertouch, but after a quick check none of my current keyboards seems to actually send that value. Have to do some more research which keyboards actually support it, perhaps I can find something that sends release velocity and supports poly aftertouch which was requested in the other thread.
Richard
Synapse Audio

Postby Teksonik » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:14 pm

After seeing this thread I double checked to see if my Akai MPK261 sends release velocity and sadly it does not. Would be a cool option. :(

As for Note Off messages you could for example set Note Off --> Osc Semi +12 so playing and releasing a key would give you an Octave "Flam" I guess would be a possible term. Or Note Off to WT position. Plays one wave with note on, another for note off. Not sure how that would sound but I'm just thinking out loud.

But I imagine dealing with all that Midi Data would come at some expense. :)
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby stubbsonic » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:40 am

My Kurzweil K2661 transmits release velocity. My Roland A-70 does, some Korgs do. Interestingly, it is not always a published spec. In the case of my A-70, I never saw release velocity listed in the features-- I was happy to discover it not long after I got that keyboard. At any rate, release velocity can be edited within a DAW so it would still be useful (as would Poly AT).

I guess the developers need to decide if there are enough users to make it feel worth their while to implement.
stubbsonic
Novice

Return to Wishlist