Dune 3 wish list

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Re: Dune 3 wish list

Postby Touch The Universe » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:33 pm

I have to scratch my head a bit here guys :?

Preset browsers come up time and again in wishlist threads, no matter what the synth. A full rework of the preset browser isn't needed, just the simple right click menu I mentioned to save as favorite which copies the preset into the favorite folder. It seems implementing this feature in this way would be easier than an entirely new system, like in hive. Keep things simple I say.
Check out our soundsets for Dune 3: Earthshine, Dream Worlds, and Harmonic Stars
Touch The Universe
Regular

Postby Touch The Universe » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:42 pm

Also, at some point, workflow needs to be addressed. There will always be feature x or y that can be added. Should dune never improve its fundamental workflow for sound designers and always add new features?

Speculation isn't even needed. Send a poll out to all dune users in a newsletter. Do you guys want new features or workflow enhancement. Ask do you want better presets of more features? If they say they want better presets, then implement the workflow enhancement and they'll increase the chance they'll get them from new sound designers entering into the game since its so much fun to program.
Check out our soundsets for Dune 3: Earthshine, Dream Worlds, and Harmonic Stars
Touch The Universe
Regular

Postby Teksonik » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:47 pm

I was editing my last post to say I've seen more people ask for Drag and Drop Automation Routing and that's a feature that would actually make creating patch easier.

Like I said I'd rather development time be spent on features of function than features of convenience. But then I'm more focused on creating sounds than organizing them since my current system of organization works perfectly for me.

But like I said we all have our favorite feature requests. All we can do is hope ours are implemented. :wink:
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Teksonik » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:51 pm

Touch The Universe wrote:Also, at some point, workflow needs to be addressed.

Another perfect example. I don't have a problem with "workflow" and patches are falling out of Dune 3 with little effort. Dune 3 is already fun to program and dead simple to me. :wink:
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Teksonik » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:04 pm

Oh and you've had the chance since June 20 2018 to bring this up on the other forum. You didn't think Favorites were worth mentioning then so you had your chance. It seems a bit late to imply that Synapse is somehow remiss in not adding Favorites. :?

Touch The Universe wrote: I was wondering if there is a plan to add a right click menu to make it easier to assign modulations? Out of all feature request, I'd be most excited about this.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby dune2_user » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:19 am

Teksonik wrote:Oh and you've had the chance since June 20 2018 to bring this up on the other forum. You didn't think Favorites were worth mentioning then so you had your chance. It seems a bit late to imply that Synapse is somehow remiss in not adding Favorites. :?

late?
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12044
dune2_user
Novice

Postby Teksonik » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:05 am

I was addressing him not you. He had the chance to address the issue directly during development. So yes him bringing it up now is a bit late. :wink:

Some people would rather make and/or use patches than rate them.

I never use the feature even in plugins that have browser favorites and categories etc. I've never once used a star in Hive or Diva etc.

I favor features that actually change how patches sound.

Anyway after that amount of time what do you think the chances are you'll get stars for your favorite patches ? Or do you think you should just save your favorites in a separate folder ?

I'll "favorite" the idea of calling Dune 3 finished and moving on to the next project....... :dance:
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Touch The Universe » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:13 am

I made the request I wanted to at the right time and still didn't get it. I'm only concerned with workflow. I don't want to distract with any other wishlist besides that. To no avail. The last full wishlist I made was over 50 items for Orion. I think Rich read that and said f*** that after seeing how much work it would take to bring it up to Modern levels and decided to discontinued. I don't want to repeat the same thing for dune. :lol:
Touch The Universe
Regular

Postby dune2_user » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:12 pm

Some people make their own presets, but I bet there are more people who use presets.
If presets were not important why would they include so many of them?

Favorite feature is a very simple feature that improves workflow and is easy and quick to implement for developers.
Not something that requires careful study of some complex algorithm.

But that's enough of this - many companies like U-he have implemented this in their products.
We'll see if Synapse will do it. I hope they will.
dune2_user
Novice

Postby Teksonik » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:48 pm

I make my own presets and I'll use those made by others if I find them inspiring.

But again I've never used Favorites maybe because I don't often use the same preset over and over. I find all the fluff distracting in Hive's and DIVA's browsers. Stars and Colors etc.

If it was "easy and quick to implement for developers" don't you think it would have been implemented already ?

Anyway I'm not against your feature request but I have requests I'd like to see implemented first. I'd prefer that development time be spent on features that expand the sounds. But all we can do is make our requests and hope they get implemented. Good luck with yours....

In the mean time you could just create a new folder "Favorites" and put them in there. That's the only solution that will work today while waiting to see if a whole new browser system is added to Dune 3..... :wink:
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby bones » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:17 am

That's you but when a synth has over 500 presets, I'll be damned if I am going to go through all of them again every time I want to use one for a particular thing. It's easy in Orion, the dozen or so go-to sounds for DUNE 2/3 are stored as Orion presets so they show up at the head of the preset list. OTOH, in Massive and Battery they are just favourited, which is less effort and a much tidier solution. Of course, non-Orion people could get around it by loading DUNE into Komplete Kontrol or Maschine but I imagine they'd rather just use something that makes it easier.
Teksonik wrote:I was editing my last post to say I've seen more people ask for Drag and Drop Automation Routing and that's a feature that would actually make creating patch easier.

Of course, there is a really obvious problem with D'n'D - you can't see everything at once. Look at the way something like Massive is designed - everything you need to D'n'D is always visible, even if it's just as a tab. D'n'Ding an LFO output to Osc 2's pulse width in DUNE, for example, would require you to make sure that Osc 2's controls were visible as well as exposing the LFO controls. It's not ideal which means a complete GUI overhaul if we want D'n'D to be any good.
Teksonik wrote:Another perfect example. I don't have a problem with "workflow" and patches are falling out of Dune 3 with little effort. Dune 3 is already fun to program and dead simple to me. :wink:

Well, again, that's you. Patches don't fall out of DUNE 3 for me because I absolutely hate using it. There is krap everywhere - velocity is on the Settings screen, the Wavetable Editor is buried three screens down, you have to go hunting for LFOs, the way layers work is poor and the preset browser is woeful compared to pretty much every other synth in the same price range. If you want to see what I mean, try the demo of any of Sugar-Bytes synths. Their browsers are great.

Don't get me wrong, our next album is going to sound great because of DUNE but it might sound even better if DUNE was easier to work with. As it stands, though, I'm far more likely to go for Thorn, or Equator or V-Station or Vacuum Pro if I want to make a new sound because they are all extremely capable synths that I actually like using. It's only if I cant get something out of them that I'll think about DUNE and, even then, I am far more likely to go to DUNE 2 because it's simpler and easier. In fact, I should probably install the original DUNE, at least everything is where you can see it and get to it and there is very little in it that I wouldn't use at some point.

Honestly, by now I would have thought I'd be over it, especially given that my favourite thing for the last 6 months has been TRK-01 and you can't see anything on it's front panel. The difference, I think, is that a lot more thought has gone into the workflow side of TRK-01 to the point that the way they hide and expose things actually makes sense, where in DUNE it mostly feels like they've put things wherever they could squeeze them in. Even the simple gesture of showing the LFOs by default, not a keyboard that 90% of people will never use, would give some indication that there has been some thought given to workflow but, as it stands, it feels like there has been none at all, which is really frustrating for me and, obviously, others.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby Teksonik » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:56 pm

bones wrote: It's easy in Orion, the dozen or so go-to sounds for DUNE 2/3 are stored as Orion presets so they show up at the head of the preset list.

So just save those dozen or so go-to sounds in a separate folder. Pretty simple solution that works right now.

D3 012219-1.png

Would an all new Preset System be a trivial matter to add ? Ask Rich and Marcin. It obviously wasn't a priority.

bones wrote:Of course, there is a really obvious problem with D'n'D - you can't see everything at once.

For example Drag and Drop works fine in Hive for me. It wouldn't my first request for Dune 3 but it would be far ahead of Preset Favorites.

bones wrote: Patches don't fall out of DUNE 3 for me because I absolutely hate using it.

So why are you here now ? Do you think Synapse is suddenly going to completely rework Dune 3 just for you ? Obviously other people don't have a problem creating patches with it as witnessed by the size and quality of the factory bank and the third party sound sets already released. I'm already over 250 patches and more fall out of it with great ease every time I use it but then I've spent a little time with it to become comfortable with the workflow. Is D3 perfect ? No of course not nothing is but some us would rather use it than complain about it since at this point it's pretty clear the direction has already been set. Who knows what the future holds for D3 but right now it is what it is.

bones wrote:which is really frustrating for me

Well you too had the chance to influence the development of D3 and chose not to participate. So it's bit late to complain now. :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Teksonik on Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby Teksonik » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:12 pm

bones wrote:Even the simple gesture of showing the LFOs by default, not a keyboard that 90% of people will never use

You can lock a page like the LFO page by selecting it and then loading any new factory patches will stay on that page. I assume they chose the keyboard by default when D3 loads so people who don't own a midi keyboard or don't want to poke around their qwerty board to trigger notes can quickly and easily audition patches. You can also create an INIT patch that loads any of the pages by default.

But in the end any page is just a mouse click away. :wink:

Anyway I'm voting again for calling Dune 3 finished except for any bug fixes and moving on to a new project. I think it's getting close to the point of diminishing returns where the work needed to add new features of convenience may not result in the necessary new customers to make the work worthwhile.....
Teksonik
Godlike

Postby bones » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:03 am

Absolutely. I only had a look at this thread because I couldn't believe it was still active. But it doesn't hurt to put these things out there in the hope that whatever comes next is something a lot more user-friendly.
Teksonik wrote:
bones wrote: Patches don't fall out of DUNE 3 for me because I absolutely hate using it.

So why are you here now ?

Ummm…. Probably because I cant' be arsed committing suicide. It seems like a lot of pointless effort.
Do you think Synapse is suddenly going to completely rework Dune 3 just for you ?

Not just for me, no, but it is fairly clear I am not the only one so adding my voice is worthwhile.
Obviously other people don't have a problem creating patches with it as witnessed by the size and quality of the factory bank

I think you and I must be witnessing very different things because I don't think the factory bank is overflowing with quality at all. Too many of the patches are drowning in effects, too few are playable out of the box and when you go in to edit them you find things that indicate they may well have been created by some randomising algorithm (like Genetics in Orion). e.g. A patch that uses voices 1, 4, and 5, where you'd expect 1, 2 and 3 if someone was actually sitting there making it by hand. As I hinted at earlier, of the 1000 presets that ship with it, there are only a handful that might actually be useful and only about three that we've actually used. The rest of the dozen I've saved are ones I made myself from scratch. In fact, starting from scratch is the only way I find DUNE even remotely usable, which is very limiting because I'm just not going to spend the time making anything really complex with it, I'll go to something else that's easier to work with.
and the third party sound sets already released. I'm already over 250 patches and more fall out of it with great ease every time I use it but then I've spent a little time with it to become comfortable with the workflow.

Who has time for that? I've got an album to finish. I've probably spent 10 times longer with DUNE than Thorn but I feel 10 times more comfortable working with Thorn than I do with DUNE.
bones wrote:which is really frustrating for me

Well you too had the chance to influence the development of D3 and chose not to participate. So it's bit late to complain now. :wink:[/quote]
I complained plenty about exactly these things, both on the beta forum and via email to Rich. I went so far as to make alternative GUIs to illustrate my point but he seemed completely disinterested and suggested that I'd probably prefer The Legend (which I did for about five minutes, until I wanted to do something with that Dog-awful filter).
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Postby DonnieAlan » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:55 pm

Teksonik wrote: I'd prefer that development time be spent on features that expand the sounds.

I'd have to agree with that. Along those lines, one feature I'd like to see is the ability to set note ranges for each part, in effect splitting the keyboard however we wish to create layered performance type patches.

Another edit feature that would help workflow is the ability to init each part. Just last night I wanted to start over on a couple parts of layered patch, but there's no way to init just a part...unless I missed that somewhere. It would save some time. What I had to do was copy/paste an unused part that was already in init state.
DonnieAlan
Novice

PreviousNext

Return to Wishlist