Third WT Osc and Feedback?

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Third WT Osc and Feedback?

Postby oneway » Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:32 pm

Love the simplicity of the interface/architecture and the sound/power of this synth!

Has anyone ever considered that this synth might benefit from the third oscillator being a single (no unison) wavetable instead of just a simple sub oscillator? I find myself often creating and managing a second layer just for a third wavetable oscillator.

Also, in the filter distortion dropdown some kind of feedback setting (Pro 3's delay line, or Blofeld, Largo, Massive's feedback options come to mind) could be really nice for grungier sounds.
oneway
Novice

Re: Third WT Osc and Feedback?

Postby Kriminal » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:24 pm

oneway wrote:
Has anyone ever considered that this synth might benefit from the third oscillator being a single (no unison) wavetable instead of just a simple sub oscillator? I find myself often creating and managing a second layer just for a third wavetable oscillator.

Looks like you found a solution
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby oneway » Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:36 pm

Yes, but it makes 3-osc sound design a bit more inconvenient and inelegant to juggle a whole layer for one oscillator. Don't you think it would be better if, over the years, the third oscillator became more robust?
oneway
Novice

Postby Kriminal » Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:28 am

I'm guessing they feel the addition of a sample osc did that.

I will also guess as to what SA may say, and that is 8 layers with 16 wt osc should be enough options, even if not quite as elegant as you wish...

But you never know, good luck with the request
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Postby Teksonik » Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:33 pm

oneway wrote: I find myself often creating and managing a second layer just for a third wavetable oscillator.

The advantage of using a second or more Voice Layers is that you can use different Filters and FilterFX for each layer or different FX (1 and 2) or different ADSR values or Arp On/Off or Arp (1 or 2). You can Mute/Solo (and control with your midi controller) the layers and so on.

I prefer using a second layer instead of even using Osc 2 in a single layer. These days I only use Osc 3 for loading a sample.

To me the added options and versatility of using multiple layers is far more advantageous than working with multiple Oscs in a single layer and once you spend a little time with that method it becomes lightening fast. 8)
Teksonik
Godlike

Return to Wishlist