Dune Portable?

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Dune Portable?

Postby sl23 » Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:16 pm

Hi,

I'm interested in purchasing dune 3 but I only install portable software. If you are unsure what that means, in its simplest form, it means all data related to a specific program or vst in this case, is stored within the folder where the dll/vst3 is located. So the data stored in the User/Documents would instead be saved wherever the dll/vst3 file is located.

For example, I do not install software, but extract the data and place the folder for a specific program onto my D drive. If you look at Voxengo or U-HE plugins, you'll get a good idea of how this works.

So, my question is, would you be willing to make dune portable? I understand if you do not wish to, but I'll pass on by.

Thank you for your consideration.
sl23
Novice

Re: Dune Portable?

Postby Richard » Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:34 pm

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13292

I should clarify that installation of DUNE 3 is required to authorize the software once on a new computer. So if you generally never install software, not even once, then what you ask will not work.
Richard
Synapse Audio

Postby sl23 » Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:37 pm

Thanks, I understand, but you didn't answer my question :wink:
Would you be willing to make dune portable?

It would be so much easier for users if you could download a zip, unpack and then run the activator. If Dune3 finds the required files in it's folder, it uses that and ignores the system folders. Many other devs use this approach. So, is it something you would consider please :D

This wouldn't affect the copy protection in any way and would be easier to install and backup.
sl23
Novice

Postby Richard » Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:45 pm

For the average user it would make the installation much harder. Depending on the user's needs, it is more than just copying files and running an activation app. For instance, for NKS support it requires to set specific flags in the Windows registry and to copy files to certain locations. Essentially, the more "complete" an installation (currently that would be VST2/VST3/AAX, NKS, possibly more to come in the future) the more tedious it is having to do it all manually. Even just a minimal installation would be a 2-step process at the very least.

Note that during testing and/or before releasing updates, we sometimes (re-)install DUNE 3 a dozen times a day, either on new machines, updating existing ones, etc. This works extremely fast. If we had to perform all installation steps manually, however, it would be an absolute nightmare, certainly a step backwards compared to how it works currently.

So overall it boils down to the complexity of the plug-in. I can certainly see the value of a portable freeware VST2 tuning plugin that requires no data. But not all plug-ins are that simple. ;)
Richard
Synapse Audio

Postby sl23 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:54 pm

Thanks for explaining and for actually thinking about it. I wasn't saying to only have a zip version, but a zip and an installer to give users a choice. Or to have an installer that can install portably, so the data can be, but not always is, in the same folder as the vst/plugin. Like I said, u-he allow portable setups and with NKS support.

Also...
Richard wrote:During installation you can specify the path where all data (Soundbanks, Wavetables, Skins, NKS, MIDI files) is installed. This folder can be backed up to an external drive any time. So if you wish to move that data to a new computer, you would simply install Dune 3 there, then replace that data folder with your backup.

My point is that if you have 10, 20, 50 or 300 plugins installed, this mess becomes a nightmare! Dune isn't too bad, but so many devs scatter vst files all over the system drive! Trying to keep track of it all and make sure it's all backed up becomes a major hassle!

I've had my eye on Dune since CM released their version way back in 20xx! (Not sure when, but I am sure it must be 10 years or more now?) I've not purchased it for this sole reason.

It's a great synth with some really great sounds! :drool:

PS. Apologies for reposting about this, I'd actually forgotten I'd already asked a year ago! :oops:
sl23
Novice

Return to Wishlist