New Sampler

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

New Sampler

Postby mw » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:54 pm

Would love to see a new sampler added that extends on the sampler already in place. With features like...

Integrated browser with file preview/auditioning
Waveform view
Key Split view for dragging and dropping
Built in effects (simple reverb, delay and chorus)
mw
Novice

New Sampler

Postby this instrument » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:33 pm

As far as I know, the sampler has pretty much all of this except for the "key split" view, but I don't even know what that is.
this instrument
Regular

New Sampler

Postby Dungeon Studio » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:59 pm

I'd say the sampler is pretty robust as it is. FX are there, and interprets from .SF2 and .OSP settings. Keymap is fairly good, and maybe supports 'drag and drop' on the keyboard already? (One thing I never ventured to try?) It 'auditions' any type of sample you click on in the Samples folder. And waveform view - not much point if they're crafted in a audio editor beforehand, or tamed via ADSR?

OP just needs to recognise a few things for .SF2 spec's like 'Exclusive Class' (for drumkits primarily) And would be sweet if it could read a few more sample formats. But by and large, OP's sampler is pretty stellar! ;)
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

New Sampler

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:49 pm

mw wrote:Integrated browser with file preview/auditioning
Waveform view

1. Already have browser and can preview.
2. Not really needed
3. What's that?
4. Already have that
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

New Sampler

Postby Dungeon Studio » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:57 pm

I think MW means to 'zone' a keyboard, say by octaves - and quckly drag in samples to each octave? Not a bad idea really, and I used it enough on hardware in past. But I think would be hard to implement on OP's sampler? But I thought there was mention of something with the 'keyboard' view in edit mode and dragging Rich implemented awhile back? Or was it hold down CTRL and mouse click the keys to set ranges for a particular keymap? Something like that? :confused:
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

New Sampler

Postby this instrument » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:54 pm

If it was possible to drag and drop a sample onto a key, that would be fucking awesome.
this instrument
Regular

New Sampler

Postby bones » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:12 pm

mw wrote:Integrated browser with file preview/auditioning

Current sampler has this already.
Waveform view

Grooveslicer shows this already

No idea what you mean.

Already in there.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

New Sampler

Postby Dungeon Studio » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:07 pm

Fooling with the sampler this morning, and it seems the 'keyboard' is just for representing and playing notes on. I tried things with SHFT and CTRL and mouse clicks on it, but to no avail. Maybe I was thinking of Yamaha's MU100R editor. It was cool in that the left mouse button would play a note on the virtual keyboard, and the right button held and dragged would 'zone' any portion of the keyboard.
Maybe a easy enough feature Rich should consider as well?
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

New Sampler

Postby mw » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:45 pm

Yes some of the features I mentioned are already there one way or another. For the browser, I meant a browser that would/could live on the side of the sampler that would be similar to Kontakt or Directwave's browser. You could audition samples in the browser and then drag and drop them onto a keyzone. From there you could map the samples within the same widow. Waveform view within the same window would be nice too. It's mostly a matter of keeping it all in the same window for workflow.
mw
Novice

New Sampler

Postby bones » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:29 pm

Why would you want a browser that takes up space whether you are using it or not, when you can have one that is just a mouse-click away, with a heap of really good features, mostly provided free of development costs by Windoze? It's just reinventing the wheel for no benefit - a browser is a browser is a browser. The problem with "keeping it all in one window" is that the window will need to be huge, blocking out other windows that are at least as important. You can already auto-map a bunch of samples, so I don;t see why you'd have much use for dragging and dropping them one at a time, especially given how tiny the keyboard you would be dropping them onto is.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

New Sampler

Postby Dungeon Studio » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:39 pm

I gotta go with Bones on that one. It's nice just to open the sample window and click on any given sample and hear 'blaat', 'bleep', 'clonk' whetever. And you can change the sound even while the song plays and hear how it's going to fit in. If nothing suitable, click Cancel and haul out those effects then. ;)

But drag and drop I could see if one wanted a bass on one octave, pad on another, voice snip's in the next octave. That seems so '80's' to me - when it's just as easy to bring up 4 samplers now.

Think it's about as good as it gets MW. ;)
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

New Sampler

Postby mw » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:17 pm

Ok, well if you guys don't want change, then how about a totally new sampler with new layout and features. Maybe something like this http://www.kvraudio.com/get/3623.html but built off of the sample engine from the sampler. If you don't like it, you don't have to use it.
mw
Novice

New Sampler

Postby Kriminal » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:14 pm

mw wrote:Ok, well if you guys don't want change, then how about a totally new sampler with new layout and features. Maybe something like this http://www.kvraudio.com/get/3623.html but built off of the sample engine from the sampler. If you don't like it, you don't have to use it.

i really dont get your points...everything you want is already available..unless of course you want it free in an Orion update or something..?
Last edited by Kriminal on Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

New Sampler

Postby Dungeon Studio » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:42 pm

Actually I see what MW's after now - what I refer to as a 'phrase sampler' (I love's my Roland SP-808!) And it's actually not a bad idea for Rich to consider.
But that definately is what get's the Aphex Twin nuttiness. To repeat, reverse, insert any piece of audio obtainable and arrange triggerable durations on a finite grid - that is pretty freakin' nice!

The only problem is MW, it's going to be contested that this can already be done in Audio Track, with DR, or set your ninja chops in OP's sampler. I'm definately interested in the MOTU product you've shown, and some form of it in Orion in future - I'd be for it. Those who haven't worked like George Martin, on a Akai MPC, or a Roland SP-808, they're just not going to get it from here on in. ;)

Phrase sampling in OP - indeed! :cool:
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

New Sampler

Postby Kriminal » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:21 pm

Dungeon Studio wrote:Actually I see what MW's after now - what I refer to as a 'phrase sampler'

like this?

http://www.kvraudio.com/get.php?mode=show&id=456

not sure, but i think its discontinued now...?
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

Next

Return to Wishlist