Orion portable...

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Orion portable...

Postby joe-joe » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:33 am

I know there's an app already for making music on the palm.
-Orion-Emu 1616 -Korg Triton Extreme - Ibanez - Vox Tone Labs.
joe-joe
Regular

Orion portable...

Postby V/M » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:50 am

yes, the kalimba.
V/M
Professional

Orion portable...

Postby Lance » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:12 pm

Regarding the comparison:

Wrongly done!

The Ableton one is mixed to be louder and the two pieces don't even have the same tempo.

For proper test of mixing engines forget about instruments and effects, especially samplers (use audio files on audio tracks). Even in Orion the samplers have draft and production quality settings, and as Richard has noted in Ableton the TS might kick in if you use a loop.

Also the same settings on the third party limiter is not enough to get the same volume because before it there's plenty of other volume settings, on the instruments, on the mixer, on the master...

Though there's nothing significant difference between the two files quality wise, the difference is only the different volume and tempo.
Last edited by Lance on Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lance
Guru

Orion portable...

Postby matthy » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:46 pm

harddisco wrote:hi luxoid, i literally just got a (used) psp this week for it's portable music making potential. i managed eventually to get it set up for homebrew and install pspseq - only had an hour or two with it so far, but impressed with the noises it makes and the level of control in the loop sequencer.

what do you use on your psp?

orion would be very exciting in this format but would need lots of modifications due to the interface - no pointing device! i doubt rich could spare the time or think it would generate sufficient sales - after all, all the psp music stuff at the moment is freeware.

have you seen this one? has a piano roll and more looks interesting :)
http://www.psprhythm.com/index.shtml
Did You Know you can download my albums on 1albums.com :cool: and you can promote your own there to ;)
http://www.myspace.com/djmatthy
matthy
Apprentice

Orion portable...

Postby Dungeon Studio » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:12 am

Richard wrote:
Regarding effect/generator quality, some stuff in Orion dates back to the very first version in 2000. I plan to gradually remove/replace that, as it is outdated to an extent that makes it almost useless. Of course, I will consider backwards compatibility (before anyone starts to worry). :)

Oooh, but Rich - you've got some classic's in there that I'm sure mnu of us die hards would hate to see go. Your ring mod, simple reverb, and compressors have always had that easy and rewarding sound to them.

They were never 'broke' to me, so I wouldn't worry about 'fixing' them. ;)
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

Orion portable...

Postby Herbster » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:38 pm

Hey LuXoid,

I use PSPSeq and PSP Rythm and they can both be usefull for different kinds of inspiration.

I do recommend the Korg DS-10 though as working with a stylus is far quicker. There is a DS-10 Plus coming out soon that will be twice as powerfull on the DSi, check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zbtl5iYx_zk

There is also Beaterator by Rockstar coming out for PSP and iPhone which might be worth a look.
Herbster
Regular

Orion portable...

Postby hotrdenhell » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:53 pm

I Agree or with luxoid. at least make op sink or be midi compatible with a psp program. lol
Jeffery Harris
hotrdenhell
Novice

Orion portable...

Postby bones » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:38 pm

LuXoid wrote:I understand that the mastering is depend on the instrument types, the quality of each sound, EQ-s, limiters, and compressors on each track.
But I figured out that there's some another host what sounds more better than orion without any mastering, but I don't like to create with them, because for me orion is the best.

If that is true, then it is an application I am totally unaware of. If you cannot get good results from Orion, it is because you either lack the skills or the discipline that is required.
If I ever did hear something that somehow sounded great no matter what you did with it, I'd be very suspicious, as it is likely to be doing something to colour the sound and force it to sound "good", in much the same way Bose speakers do.
LuXoid wrote:The box like sound means stereo enhancement problems to me. I usually put stereo widen, linear EQ,and compressor/limiter plugins on each track to make the sounds more life-like.

The classic way to enhance the stereo field of a mix is to add a nice wide, diffuse reverb very, very subtly. Or maybe even Orion's brilliant Diffuse delay. Remember though, subtlety is the key: if anyone can listen to it ans say "hey, there is reverb [or delay] on this mix", then you have overdone it.
Stereo widen effects are the opposite of subtle. They can be used to good effect on a single track but only a crazy person would use them on a mix or on every track. You could try using my kill-o-rama effect too, it has a very effective stereo widen process. Use it on something like cymbals and it will push your mix outside the stereo field of your monitors [literally].
Kriminal wrote:why not get one of those horrible 'netbooks' ? they are small enought to be really portable and big enough to do some music stuff.

Yeah, a netbook is far more powerful than the first 3 or 4 PCs I used Orion with. I think I first installed Orion on a Pentium II 300 which I later upgraded to a 450MHz CPU. Then I replaced it with an 800 which I eventually upgraded to 1GHz. Even the machine we did our first album on would only have been an Athlon 1500+ or so, which is still below the power of any netbook these days.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Orion portable...

Postby hseiken » Mon May 03, 2010 1:25 pm

Beatorator for PSP exports MIDI. Also, bhajis loops for Palm Pilot does as well (and is more like a portable Orion anyway).

And I agree with epilogue...I am running Orion on a fujitsu u820 flawlessly. It's only slightly larger than a nintendo DS with full keyboard and a thumbstick for a mouse. You can fold it in half and it's like some weird mutation between a game controller and a computer from which you can completely run orion from...with a touchscreen, too. :)
hseiken
Novice

Orion portable...

Postby Reny » Mon May 03, 2010 5:57 pm

DaZoid wrote:But the iPhone thingy could be interesting for Rich. Not to port the entire application to iPhone but make an iPhone App and sell millions of copies... That could boost sales and bring extra money for the company.

True, true man. Then maybe would be more new synths and other stuff from Synapse. Nice. :hut:
Keith Murray, Da Muzicianz, Ying Yang Twins, Big Omeezy Beat Maker.
Reny
Regular

Orion portable...

Postby Dungeon Studio » Mon May 03, 2010 7:56 pm

TS404... Easy enough app for the acid heads I'm sure? (What comes up on Google I wonder?)

The Acid App. :rofl:
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

Orion portable...

Postby Mark » Mon May 03, 2010 10:38 pm

Reny wrote:
DaZoid wrote:But the iPhone thingy could be interesting for Rich. Not to port the entire application to iPhone but make an iPhone App and sell millions of copies... That could boost sales and bring extra money for the company.

True, true man. Then maybe would be more new synths and other stuff from Synapse. Nice. :hut:

When the new VSTi from Rich comes out, you won't need another synth. Trust me, I'm a Doctor.

But can you explain to me the iPhone Apps market? How does anyone do well with that? It seems hyper-saturated to me. Is it really worth Richard's time/effort to sell something for $2-5 that only sells 100-1000 units because it's competing with a gazillion other things? The only reason I can see for making iPhone apps (for Rich) is as an advert for other "real" Synapse products.
Mark

Previous

Return to Wishlist