UI graphics

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

UI graphics

Postby ufo » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:03 am

What do you think of this user interface?
I like it, clean, clear, and its grey (ooerrr)

http://www.d16.pl/images/shioitor/shioitor-gui-big.jpg

photorealistic thinggy like the Phoscyon/Drumazon et al.
Last edited by ufo on Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
---=u f o=--- /Radiation Mutant / Snee-Nee-Iq
ufo
Elite Producer

UI graphics

Postby V/M » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:05 am

there's some talk about d16 gui here: Input on Skins Required pg 2.

I do like the look of it.. and the demo songs (though irrelevant to your question) sound wonderful.
Last edited by V/M on Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
V/M
Professional

UI graphics

Postby DaZoid » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:39 am

looks pretty phatt! Great design.
DaZoid
Guru

UI graphics

Postby Teksonik » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:15 pm

ufo wrote:What do you think of this user interface?
I like it, clean, clear, and its grey (ooerrr)

http://www.d16.pl/images/shioitor/shioitor-gui-big.jpg

photorealistic thinggy like the Phoscyon/Drumazon et al.

Yes that's the style of skin I was lusting after for Orion version 8. That photo-realistic style would take Orion way beyond the competition in my opinion. Unfortunately doesn't look like it's possible................unless Rich hires the GUI designer from D-16. :)
Teksonik
Godlike

UI graphics

Postby suneel » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:21 pm

i think its not so hard as it seems to have it in orion. you can easily have it in orion, since the mixer and synth background is an image. i think a good skinner can do it

btw in the shitior image, look at the source mixer area. the text at the center is too small to read. all text must be clear and legible. even arturia synths have tiny texts. its not acceptable to have such small text.
suneel
Guru

UI graphics

Postby Lance » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:14 pm

Shitior. Spot on.

If I'd want such clumsy counterproductive UI even for a software, I'd use a real hardware. At least I can touch that with 10 fingers at once, not through one mouse.
Lance
Guru

UI graphics

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:25 pm

Teksonik wrote:Yes that's the style of skin I was lusting after for Orion version 8. That photo-realistic style would take Orion way beyond the competition in my opinion. Unfortunately doesn't look like it's possible................unless Rich hires the GUI designer from D-16. :)

What makes that photo-realistic look on that synth is the position of the knobs relative to the viewing angle, something you can't really put into Orion. You can see how the knobs sliders and keys all lean to the side away from the center. You can't do that in Orion. Making that work on the mixer is ust impossible. It wouldn't work on the synth either, because a synth shares one or two knobs across it's surface, so again, impossible to get that look. The best approach could just be careful texturing. The rest is not an issue, IMO.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

UI graphics

Postby Teksonik » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:45 pm

Negative. What makes it realistic is the surface and textures. I have faith that Przenek could pull it off to some degree for a Host as well. He no doubt possesses the proper skills with perspective to layout a gui for Orion, toolbars mixer etc. Not likely to happen but one can wish............
Teksonik
Godlike

UI graphics

Postby Eklectro » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:57 pm

reallyistic :)

the 3d point of view of the diffrents knobs is relevant
Last edited by Eklectro on Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Orion 8, Live 8Le, Cubase 4 LE, Cantana, APC40, UC16, Fostex PM1MKII, Q9550, 4G0, 1,5T, 22"+15"

http://soundcloud.com/eklectro/i-like-xylo-29-03-2011
Eklectro
Apprentice

UI graphics

Postby Kriminal » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:07 pm

wont work for the mixers tho, you cant do a L/R photorealistic aspect for the knobs....
Windows 11 Home - 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz -32GB RAM
250GB SSD - 1TB HDD | M-Audio Oxygen 25 V
Kriminal
Immortal

UI graphics

Postby Eklectro » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:18 pm

LOOL
y're right :)
Orion 8, Live 8Le, Cubase 4 LE, Cantana, APC40, UC16, Fostex PM1MKII, Q9550, 4G0, 1,5T, 22"+15"

http://soundcloud.com/eklectro/i-like-xylo-29-03-2011
Eklectro
Apprentice

UI graphics

Postby bones » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:34 pm

Teksonik wrote:Yes that's the style of skin I was lusting after for Orion version 8. That photo-realistic style would take Orion way beyond the competition in my opinion. Unfortunately doesn't look like it's possible................unless Rich hires the GUI designer from D-16. :)

It's not possible at all, no matter who Rich hires. Look at it, the knobs on the left have a different perspective to those in the middle or on the right, so each knob has been created individually. How would that work in an expanding mixer UI? Even the buttons have different perspective in different parts of the UI, so every individual element has it's own graphic, it seems. It would require Rich or Jouni to throw out the current skinning system and code an entirely new one. Once that was done, it would then require an order of magnitude more work than it does currently to create it all and you'd end up with 100Mb or more worth of graphic files in memory as you work, instead of the 9 or 10Mb that the current skinning system requires. It would probably require the current skinnable Orion to be ditched in favour of a hard-wired UI, which means whatever we ended up with is what we'd all have to use. I think I'd rather keep the current flexibility.
It looks absolutely awesome but it's simply not a look that is possible with Orion at the moment. It's also really huge [does a soft-synth need full-size keys?] and I can't imagine working with it myself. I'll take a functional UI over a pretty one every time. The happy medium of course, is a bit of both, which is what I hope to achieve with the new Orion skin. FYI, I am awaiting Jouni now, Rich tells me he is working on the fixes I need but no-one's seen or heard from him for ages AFAIK.
suneel wrote:i think its not so hard as it seems to have it in orion. you can easily have it in orion, since the mixer and synth background is an image. i think a good skinner can do it

See above.
btw in the shitior image, look at the source mixer area. the text at the center is too small to read. all text must be clear and legible. even arturia synths have tiny texts. its not acceptable to have such small text.

It's actually the same size as the text elsewhere, it's just packed too closely together in that particular area. That's the problem with apishly following a hardware look, you get the good and the bad.
Teksonik wrote:Negative. What makes it realistic is the surface and textures. I have faith that Przenek could pull it off to some degree for a Host as well. He no doubt possesses the proper skills with perspective to layout a gui for Orion, toolbars mixer etc. Not likely to happen but one can wish............

The subtlety of the texture is less than I've achieved in the mixer mock-ups you've all seen [~89% brightness at the top and ~77% at the bottom, vs ~76% to ~72% for my mixer mock-up], so it's nothing particular clever or special. But it's just one aspect, the perspective helps a lot to make it look more convincing to the eye. Even the shadow angles change from one side to the other, as though lit from somewhere above the centre of the instrument, which again would require every knob to be created individually.
I'm sure he's used the same global illumination techniques I have, but right now they are useless, because Orion doesn't support transparency around knobs. So you need to imagine every knob on Shiotor being surrounded by a square of colour that is a bit darker than the surrounding texture at the top or a bit lighter on knobs down lower. If you were lucky, you might get one row of knobs that blend in OK but the rest would look like they had been pasted in from other images. It would completely ruin the whole thing but it's the best Orion skinners have to work with ATM.
That's why the instruments in my Surface skin have all their knobs placed in cut-out channels. I would love to be able to place them directly on the gradient surface of the background, but it simply won't work.
Then there is cost to take into consideration. For a single instrument it would be close to 100 hours work, I reckon. For Orion, it would translate into more like 500-600. At my current hourly rate [and I work cheap] it would cost Rich more than a new car if he had to pay someone to do it for him. Doing it for yourself is one thing, because you get something you are happy with from the get-go and you don't have to pay yourself directly, but having to pay someone else to do it gets very expensive, very quickly. I've already put 20 or 30 billable hours into the new Orion skin and there is nothing at all to show for it yet. Would you be willing to pay a $50 premium on your next upgrade so that Rich could hire someone to do a skin like this? And would you be happy to wait another 6 months while all the skinning code was rewritten to accommodate it? Then, having paid your $50 premium and waited another 6 months, would you be happy to put up with it, no matter how it turned out? because I think that's pretty much what you'd be looking at to achieve this kind of look.

Oh, and here's a little test - move your browser/image window over to one side of your monitor, then look at it from the other side. All of a sudden the cool perspective works against you and it looks all wrong. It's a fragile illusion, easily shattered.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

UI graphics

Postby Teksonik » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:02 am

I thought by emphasizing "style" I could get people to focus on the style and not the Shioitor gui itself. I don't even think it's a real gui yet but still a mock up. Don't look at the gui, don't look at the knobs look at the style. He could make a DAW gui without problems with perpective I am confident.

bones wrote: Would you be willing to pay a $50 premium on your next upgrade so that Rich could hire someone to do a skin like this

But you said it couldn't be done................................

Chill out, You're taking this way too seriously and apparently personally as well. Rich isn't going to hire anyone, so it's not going to happen. No big deal. We'll be waiting for Orion another 6 months anyway so again no big deal. I said many times away from this forum that if possible I would have a d-16 style gui for every bit of music software I own.....................not going to happen but that doesn't diminish my enthusiasm for the style.

I'm perfectly happy with the current skin I'm using. I'm more concerned about the new workflow features.

If this style can't be done for technical reasons the fault lies with Orion.

Again everybody, do not confuse photorealism with 3-D perspective. I believe you can have the former without problems with the latter. Of course given a artist capable of producing such textures and solving problems with perspective and assuming the software is capable of supporting the correct transparencies, file formats etc.
Last edited by Teksonik on Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Teksonik
Godlike

UI graphics

Postby Teksonik » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:24 am

As an example I'd love to see small mixer sliders/strips like this. They look good in isolation, I don't see any 3-D perspective...........

I looked at the Shioitor screenshot again and I think the knobs look wrong, perspective is all off. They take away from the illusion of reality in my opinion........
Teksonik
Godlike

UI graphics

Postby ufo » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:47 am

woohoo

I was not suggesting this style for our mixer, as we did discuss these issues a while back, just liked the overall look.
Surely wouldnt mind it on the synths......

I like all of this dude's work, just showing it off a bit.
I was very excited when Bones posted his first mixer mock up, had a very similar look to this type of thing.
---=u f o=--- /Radiation Mutant / Snee-Nee-Iq
ufo
Elite Producer

Next

Return to Wishlist