With the new orion v8 i need.

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Postby Vicious_Angel » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:35 am

4 inserts (or more).
8 bus (at least).

Ability to sidechain 3rd party compressors or plugins.
Ability to remove orion eq from the chain and use 3rd party one as an insert. (also not visible)
Splines for automations. (accurate ones ala ableton live alike).

Wasp release as vst for already customers (hey i own LIVE and reaper :P ).

In the sampler (some ms) fade in-out between groove sliced samples. (as current it creates clicks-pops at the start and at the end of the samples choped).

And alot of other i forgot and i am gonna write later :p
Emu1212m | Alesis micron | Edirol pcr500 | FOCAL CMS 50 | Senheiser hd 25-1 II | Core i7 etc
Vicious_Angel
Apprentice

Postby Dungeon Studio » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:01 am

Shh shhh Vicious, listen.... I don't think that's a earthquake coming. I think that's people - and lot's of them! :schock:

May you get to the coast safely Spartacus. ;)
Dungeon Studio
Godlike

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:37 am

Vicious_Angel wrote:4 inserts (or more).
8 bus (at least).

If Rich would even consider these, I doubt they would make it into v8.

Doesn't that depend on the 3rd party compressor or plugins themselves, and not Orion?
Ability to remove orion eq from the chain and use 3rd party one as an insert. (also not visible)

EQ on the mixer isn't used when it's not turned on anyway, so don't use them and they're out of the chain... and if you don't want to see it, just edit the skin :p

There's been talks about splines in Beta forum, but don't know yet what and if will something come out of it all.

----
Skipped addressing your other wishes on purpose :p
Last edited by HYPNAGOGIA on Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby Vicious_Angel » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:59 pm

And another one is automatic delay compensation on busses thats crucial.
Emu1212m | Alesis micron | Edirol pcr500 | FOCAL CMS 50 | Senheiser hd 25-1 II | Core i7 etc
Vicious_Angel
Apprentice

Postby Vicious_Angel » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:15 pm

Lol dungeon i am around a lot of time here even tho i dont write so much on the forum, do you believe that i dont know whats coming?

A sidechain compressor always have 4 inputs. 2 for the normal audio and 2 for the sidechain signal now think orion and you see we cannot do it.

Well yes for the eq its ok but the signal is passing true the eq all the time so i dont know if it is doing anything to the signal.

About the inserts and buses come on we are at 2010... and plz i dont wanna read anyone saying the 4 track joke again...
Vicious_Angel
Apprentice

Postby suecae_sounds » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:00 pm

Interesting list!

8 bus (at least).

I wouldn't mind this but I do not feel that passionate about it either. lesser effects forces me to be creative with what I've got, and I can honestly say that I am not using Orion to its full potential still. the combination of busses, inserts and sends seems to give quite alot of headroom. Still, I think I could vouch for one more insert and two more buses. But it does not mean the world to me.

Vicious_Angel wrote:Ability to remove Orion eq from the chain and use 3rd party one as an insert. (also not visible)

It would be interesting to hear your hangup with the current eq? Are you talking about loading a VST as an insert, which would then 'duplicate' itself to be used for all the tracks? I don't quite 'get it'...

Vicious_Angel wrote:Splines for automations. (accurate ones ala ableton live alike).

From what I have understood this far; from my own inquiries, automation is going to be improved for V8. I just don't quite understand exactly how since I am not part of the beta team. Is it this kind of spline you are talking about? All improvements are welcome to my mind, and is my no1 thing I would like see happen. :)

Vicious_Angel wrote:In the sampler (some ms) fade in-out between groove sliced samples. (as current it creates clicks-pops at the start and at the end of the samples choped).

This would certainly be excellent! I definitely agree!

Vicious_Angel wrote:Ability to sidechain 3rd party compressors or plugins.

If you are talking about a specific Orion generated "send-strip" inside of each third party VST it would be a cool feature for sure.

Vicious_Angel wrote:Wasp release as vst for already customers (hey i own LIVE and reaper :P ).

That would be nice. Wasp is simply great imho. But it is not something I feel should take priority if it would be hard to accomplish.
suecae_sounds
Apprentice

Postby machinist » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:12 pm

8 bus (at least).

Wasp release as vst for already customers (hey i own LIVE and reaper :P ).

In the sampler (some ms) fade in-out between groove sliced samples. (as current it creates clicks-pops at the start and at the end of the samples choped).

And alot of other i forgot and i am gonna write later :p

i can def say none of those will happen in V8, so you better stick with Live
machinist
Regular

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:21 pm

To be honest, I don't see what's the fuss about mixer EQ for. I'm pretty sure it's bypassed when in OFF state so it doesn't affect things.

And if it's that drag to have it visible there, it's easilly fixed with few skin modifications.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby Vicious_Angel » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:29 pm

machinist i demo orion from version 3 before i buy it and i certainly know how the things go with the programing :P
I bought live because of orion limitations to different areas and everytime i load orion now i see it like a dinosaur or something in some aspects.

Orion for me is a scetchpad now somethink like a loop creator (mainly drums) but some aspects like no automatic delay compensation on buses and only 2 inserts is something omg, assuming that i can work with the curent mixer my needs still are:

4 inserts (or more).
8 bus (at least).
fade in - out on sampler between groove sliced material
Ability to sidechain 3rd party compressors or plugins
PDC on busses
Exported midi files without bank select - program select (every midi i export from orion i have to edit it into reaper before it goes to live)
Stable render (stream).

cheers.

Edit: Orion still has the fastest workflow of all hosts in defense of it but...
Last edited by Vicious_Angel on Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vicious_Angel
Apprentice

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:14 pm

Vicious_Angel wrote:Stable render (stream).

Seems pretty stable here
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby machinist » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:54 pm

use a container

Vicious_Angel wrote:8 bus (at least).

why?

Vicious_Angel wrote:
fade in - out on sampler between groove sliced material

i cant see a situation where i would ever want that, care to explain why you do?

Vicious_Angel wrote:
Stable render (stream).

stable here
machinist
Regular

Postby HYPNAGOGIA » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:31 pm

I think he said there's an issue with slices as they produce pops or clicks between each slice. To be honest, I never noticed it. I'm not noticing it in the beta, and for sure I know it didn't do that in the public version (used to do stuff with a lot of sliced material back then).
Last edited by HYPNAGOGIA on Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HYPNAGOGIA
Godlike

Postby machinist » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:05 pm

never had that, prob need to adjust the threshold or manually adjust slice points if thats happening...
machinist
Regular

Postby funky koval » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:32 pm

Better song automation, autoexpanding patterns during record, bounce to audio and more busses are things that I'd like to see in v8.
funky koval
Regular

Postby bones » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:37 pm

I've always assumed the Grooveslicer cuts at zero crossings, which is all that's needed to avoid clicks.
Don't hold your breath on splines, Rich seems incredibly resistant to it, simply because every other host has it and he wants Orion to be different, no matter the cost. Instead, we will get some ridiculously complex system that will carry over all the limitations of the current system. It won't be as bad as Automation Tracks would have been but it will still only address a tiny fraction of the problems automation currently has. If I relied on automation at all, I'd be hugely disappointed from what I've seen in the betas so far.
I would not like to see any changes to the Mixer or Master sections. I believe there is already more flexiblity than any organised producer could ever need. Add in FX Holders and it's even more impressive. I also think Orion's Mixer EQ is well up to the task required of it and I only use plugin EQ for mastering, which doesn't affect mixer strips.
I don't think I'm giving away any secrets by revealing that v8 will have a new compressor, with sidechains, that is a massive improvement over the old compressor. I think that will always be Rich's approach to a problem like this - he will always want to make a better tool, rather than do the work required to allow you to use 3rd party tools more easily, simply because that work interests him far more. Given that we have built-in effects and instruments that are as good as any plugins, at any price, I see that as a good thing. i.e. You can buy Orion and get top quality tools right out of the box. Buy any other host and you would need to spend literally thousands of dollars on plugins to get the same stuff to the same standard.
I suppose you just have to decide what matters more. I think you need to pick a host and learn to work with it, rather than trying to find a host that works the way you want. To compare Live and Orion at all is crazy to me, they are at complete opposite ends of the spectrum, as hosts go. Of all the hosts I've tried, Live is easily the least suited to what I want to achieve. In fact, I could not find one single feature that I thought would be useful to me [and when I tried it, the sound quality was terrible, but they have apparently put a lot of work into fixing that in recent versions]. I can't imagine anyone been torn between the two, they are just so fundamentally different. Live and Acid, sure, but Live and Orion makes no sense at all to me. I would certainly hate to see Orion become like Live in any way.

BTW Vicious Angel, I have some CDs waiting for you, I just need to know where to send them. I emailed you a couple of months ago and got no response. Can you please email me if you want them.
Dell G7 (Hexa-Core i7)|Cubase Pro 10||Analog Keys|Ultranova|MicroMonsta|Uno|Skulpt|Craft Synth 2.0|
novakill.com
bones
Immortal

Next

Return to Wishlist