Request: Updated XR-909

Post your feature requests for future versions of Orion, Hydra, Scorpion or Plucked String. (Please do not expect a reply from the developers)

Moderators: Christophe, Mark

Postby Richard » Thu May 06, 2010 9:06 am

I should also mention, in Orion 8 you can control any VSTi via the DrumRack. You're no longer stuck to their onboard sequencers, or, in the case of the TS-808, the lack of one. :D

But that's not all. With the template system of Orion 8, you'd do the required linking of both units only once and store this together as a template. That template could then be invoked into any project with a single click, opening both units with the correct settings, doing the linking automatically and so on. It's rather brilliant. :)
Richard
Synapse Audio

Postby JavierRubio » Thu May 06, 2010 9:13 am

If workflow and sequencer improvements are a priority, seriously, keep an eye on the elektron machines. The sequencing is very intuitive and full of possibilities. Orion is a pattern oriented sequencer and could benefit from some of their features.
Maybe it's a little late for that, I know.
JavierRubio
Regular

Postby Richard » Thu May 06, 2010 9:17 am

Care to be more specific what kind of features you're talking about?
Richard
Synapse Audio

Postby JavierRubio » Thu May 06, 2010 9:27 am

-the posibility to have sets of patterns for diferent generators triggered at the same time (real time). Something like live-sets but with more slots and triggered by buttons (midi in orion's case)
-the parameter lock feature. This can change completely the sound for each recorded midi note. Note by note you can change any parameter of the sound and the rest remain unchanged.

those 2 came to mind inmediatly, but I encourage you to check by yourself if you have the chance and find it convenient.

these videos can give you a hint of what I'm talking about:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y74vdIl4R8c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZF2w9aU32U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zshvf8slc5s
They are a little slow sometimes, and the demo sounds are not very exciting, but surely explains the things better than I do.
Last edited by JavierRubio on Thu May 06, 2010 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
JavierRubio
Regular

Postby Richard » Thu May 06, 2010 10:12 am

You can do this in Orion in a much faster and more elegant way.

Enter pattern editor and enable the grid, then automate any knob for e.g. the bassdrum. The example given in the second video would take me no more than the EKS-9 and a few clicks to automate LFO Amount. Not exactly rocket science...

In O8 it's even better as you can do the same with FX, and sequence the pattern-based automation as well.
Richard
Synapse Audio

Postby crimsonwarlock » Thu May 06, 2010 10:47 am

Richard wrote:the workflow/sequencer improvements should have priority for now.

:D :D :D :D

crimsonwarlock
Regular

Postby JavierRubio » Thu May 06, 2010 11:10 am

Well almost everything in orion is done with a few clicks. It's the way you do it. I think that example demonstrates precisely how elegant, direct and intuitive is to program the machinedrum. In orion you need to do it graphically (not the best graphic editor in the market btw) or recording and editing afterwards. That's for the parameter lock issue.
If in O8 you can do arrangemens in patterns for the fx, that's an step towards what you can do with the elektrons (and with ableton, and other sequencers) but it's not in 7.6
Then you get to my first point: Live sets or whatever they could be if fully developed. ¿are plans in O8 for this too?
JavierRubio
Regular

Postby Richard » Thu May 06, 2010 11:39 am

You can't be serious, he's pressing like a dozen buttons to get there. Not to mention that in hardware you're almost always stuck with 16 step buttons, as opposed to software. There's no way you can go from bassdrum to snaredrum directly, neither can you see what's going on in the whole pattern, etc.

The machine drum may be awesome for hardware, but being hardware it surely can't compete with software in terms of usability, no matter how good it is.
Richard
Synapse Audio

Postby JavierRubio » Thu May 06, 2010 11:56 am

I'm not telling you to limit your software to match the hardware (I can't belive I'm actually writing this, too obvious). I'm just pointing out things that you can do with these machines and ways to proceed that can be an inspiration for certain aspects of your program. Take them or leave them to your likes but there are things like the real time arranging, the fx pattern sequencing and (from my point of view) parameter locks, that could give you some hints for aspects that orion still lacks.
I don't know if some of these issues are alredy adressed in V8, tough.
JavierRubio
Regular

Postby Richard » Thu May 06, 2010 12:28 pm

Yes, appreciated, and I'll look for concepts that could be transferred to software. For the record, I have no intention to bash the machine drum. It does look like the best hardware drum machine ever made :)
Richard
Synapse Audio

Postby JavierRubio » Thu May 06, 2010 12:39 pm

And what a sound they have! I just love FM synthesis for percussion.

I'm anxious to see what you come with in Orion8. Seems it will be a big step according to the clues the beta team give to us.
JavierRubio
Regular

Previous

Return to Wishlist